SOBER

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SOBER

Thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to look for some books online by this guy. I like this line of thinking.
    Bridget

" little by little, we travel far "
    - Tolkein

Comment

SOBER

thankx for sharing happy holidays
      :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
      best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

SOBER

BridgetJones1998;506334 wrote: Thanks so much for sharing. I'm going to look for some books online by this guy. I like this line of thinking.
        Alan Marlatt is TOPS in alcoholism research... been doing it for years... but he is not well-received by the 12-Step Monopoly because many of his findings contradict some of their doctrines... He has gotten interested in mindfulness/meditation, too, and developed a program called Mindfulness-Based Relapse Prevention... same stuff that I practice and teach. His work is extremely important, and it is fantastic that it is moving into the mainstream....

Comment

SOBER

Im glad you liked it, I feel the same way. As soon as I read it I knew it was something worth sharing! Love the wave analogy! I will find more inforamtion on this guy as well, thanks AWP your knowledge is awesome to say the least.

Comment

SOBER

Gumby,

Great Post.

Aileen

Comment

SOBER

I haven't read the article, but the notion of a drinking urge 'going up and down' rings true. Despite the fact that I typically give in to my drinking urges, there have been many times in which I've stubbornly refused to drink, had to deal with insatiable cravings for a period of time, followed by a period of experiencing the cravings tapering off. I always would remind myself in such cases how resisting the urge to drink never killed me.

Comment

SOBER

Great Stuff Gumby
                Thank you.
                "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

SOBER

Wow, thanks soooooooo much. I think that this thread was heaven sent. I can so relate to the late afternoon urges and the disappointing failures.

I know that if I can hold out till 7pm, I will be fine, but I so often give in. What a lovely, practical tool to sobriety.

I have found another simple tool that helps me when I can use it. I have realised hat if I have a vanilla or chocolate milkshape the minute the urges start, I am better able to cope. Maybe it's the terro of not adding extra calories to the decadent mixture ..

Comment

SOBER

Bump! I loved this thread.
                    Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Working...
                    X