My Biggest Motivation To Stop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It is my husbands birthday tomorrow. He is a twin. In November his brother died. He was 34, a drinker as well as abusing perscription drugs. He was drunk, walking down the street, fell, banged his head, choked on his own vomit and had a heart attack. It has devasted his family. My husband couldn't make it home for the funeral, we didn't have the money. As my brother-in-law was only young he didn't have insurance. He died away from home and we couldn't afford to ship the body back, therefore he was cremated, and the ashed shipped back to his family. Even then the bill was massive. Such a waste of a young life.

Long before this point I was getting to the stage of just being grateful to wake up after a binge. I'd usually drink about 8 bottles of beer straight, the blackout were getting longer. I don't want to end up a cronic drinker like my father, I don't want to end up like my brother-in-law, I just want to stop drinking and live a better life.

Hey Ezz.

You got the right attitude. you can do it. You do not have to land up like your father. You have got your future in your hands. You are on the right track now.

My heart goes out to your husband and you tomorrow. I am sure it will not be easy for him as he will be remembering his brother.

Lots of love :l
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

My biggest motivation to stop / moderate was when my brother-in-law got pancreatitis - he was a 24 beer a day guy.
      Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Comment

Your story is so tragic, as many on here are. I found out yesterday the wife of someone I've known 20 years developed pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago and died this weekend. They, too, had many problems, but now suddenly, this wife and mother is gone. The tragedies AL lead to cannot be imagined, yet we live thru them. My thougts and prayers are with you and your family. Please take this as the final sign that there are two road, and one is life, the other death. I am SO happy now, and wish I could just hand that to everyone else here. It's not that easy. We must each find our way, but you seem to have your head in the right place. If I can help in any way, let me know.
        Ruby
        sigpic
        Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
        awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Ezz- I am sorry for your loss. So tragic and sensless! It is real. This will kill us. It doesn't just happen to other people. Good for you. We deserve to live an authentic life. Mine has improved beyond what I could have imagined, since I quit. Good Luck! Hugs! Best
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Working...
          X