What Made you Stop Drinking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just wondering what it was that made you finally stop drinking. For me, It was my daughters. My youngest got upset with me for opening a beer the other night. She was crying and wanted to know why I dont drink water. That just killed me.

I am having a very hard time, but, I will kick this. I had one Af Day and it felt so good. I drank last night and I am so angry at myself. I am starting over today and I am going to do this. I had a talk with my husband last night and he is going to everything he can to help me. All the alcohol will be out my house today. I think that will be a very big help.

Hi Blanch.

With me it wasn't a particular event but rather a long process. I just started realising one day that I was drinking daily now. Tried cutting down. Didn't work, tried again and again. Tried drinking not at all. Lasted for 2or 3 days and than finally decided that's it. I did start experiencing withdrawel symptoms eventually when I didn't drink for a day or so and I guess that is when I finally went AF.
    AF since 15th March 2010

The journey is the goal. As long as you're fighting the good fight and you're not giving up on giving up, you're winning. It's not about how often you get knocked down, it's about how often you get up again. Sobriety the goal for sure. But striving to get to that goal is what it's about. Not getting there. Because the journey never ends. The journey is the goal.

Comment

hi blanch,i hope that method helps,most family members wont stop you from using,water is good,flushes the system,better then coffee,we jump from one addiction to the next,what would happen if you ate to much,this is about you and why your the way you are,i kinda got a jump start on most,i was in rehab,early this year,it is not the most pleasant route,i do wish you well gyco

Comment

sorry last year 2008,hahah see how the mind forgets,

Comment

I have drank daily for over 30yrs. Enough is enough. I am sure for me it is mostly a very bad, nasty habit that I must break. But we all know, unlike smoking (at least for me) the rewards of that first drink are way more rewarding. Then it is all downhill from there.

My system has changed and it YELLS at me the next day that it doesn't like alcohol one tiny bit. I need to stop ignoring it's cry and get a grip on this thing. It is so insidious.

R2C
          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
          :h

Comment

I stopped when I stopped lying to myself, about everything regarding alcohol. 9 months ago, yesterday!
            "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

One word-hangovers. I'm actually scared of AL because of them.My social life suffers when i do not drink but i prefer that than hangovers and i'm sure i will learn how to have fun without AL. I just need patience and time.
              We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

I didn't drink very much every day, but I did drink every day. Combined with cholesterol drugs it affected my liver. It was a Dr. visit that woke me up. I'm pretty lucky I guess that the liver damage wasn't too bad, and I am finding more clarity now that the alcohol is not present in my daily life.
                vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

Misery, humiliation, despair, awareness that alcohol had destroyed the lives of both my parents... and deciding it was not going to destroy the rest of my life.

Comment

I am a problem drinker. You can read my old posts who proof that. I am mostly a binge drinker. I ruin everything around my . Say bad things to people , do shame for my self. I say and do things I would never do. I become different person. I can black out for many ours. I hate my self many weeks after drinking and I thing I will never fully overcome all things that I have ruined in drinking session.
                    What can I say more,, is that not enough reason

Comment

Great posts here, I want to put my experience into the mix.

One week ago (Saturday Night) was the last time I would black out. My reason, my only son (4 years old) was trying to wake me up and was afraid I went to heaven. In my stupor I rumbled off to bed. The next day he was distant from me, I was shaking overcoming yet another Saturday Night of excessive drinking...yet this time was different. I could see the damage I was doing in my son's eyes, it was the look I remember from my childhood...the look, that's all I can say...it was in his eyes. I could tell he knew I was destroying myself, and I didn't have an answer. I knew, if I don't respect myself...why should I expect him to respect me. It hit me like a ton of bricks.

Don't get me wrong, I don't have this thing licked at all. This will be my first weekend in over 20 years without some sort of AL. I will be fine, I have the folks here to help listen to my rambling (which I am sure I will do), once my son goes to bed. In this week alone I have found him again. He is calmer (we thought he had ADD or autism of some sort, turned out it was me not paying attention to myself that had him so distracted) and more focused than he has ever been. His speech is clearer (I still call it "Aidan-ese") and he plays by himself longer and role plays. Best of all, when he role plays...he plays me. I can't tell you how much that chokes me up, and how responsible I feel for letting him down in the past. I have only today to make sure he knows I love him; and every day after that. How? By showing him how to respect yourself...with my actions, not my words. He copies everything I do; and it is the best feeling in the world. I promise never to ignore that responsibility again.

"Make sure your efforts are true to your nature. Push through any fear when your doubts are highest and believe you can do it; and most importantly always Honor yourself"

Namaste
                      My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

AP: That is a beautiful, beautiful post.

Comment

You are a wonderful dad...
                          That has choked me up now...but in a lovely way..
                          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

This is one of many I have kept on file...I hope you enjoy

Two Wolves
                            One evening an old Cherokee told his grandson about a battle that goes on inside all people. He said, 'My son, the battle is between two 'wolves' inside us all.

One is Evil. It is anger, envy, jealousy, sorrow, regret, greed, arrogance, self-pity, guilt, resentment, inferiority, lies, false pride, superiority, and ego.

The other is Good. It is joy, peace, love, hope, serenity, humility, kindness, benevolence, empathy, generosity, truth, compassion and faith.'

The grandson thought about it for a minute and then asked his grandfather: 'Which wolf wins?'

The old Cherokee simply replied, 'The one you feed.'

Unknown
                            My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

My 3 year old is a lot calmer and seems happier; not so rebellious since I had given up the alcohol too. I feel much calmer and in control so no doubt she senses it.

Although I hit a huge rock botthom I didn't quit all together then. Talk about being stubborn and in denial! I did some things that were illegal; lost everything; and I was embarking on death.

I quit for a good many months in 2007 and then thought I could moderate.... hahaha. That was a joke.

I lost a family member in 2008 and 'gave up'.

In December and just having to deal with my past crimes; it took care of my guilt I had been carrying around and I finally felt at peace with that and many other issues in my life. Seeing my children happier, more content, etc. was icing on the cake.

I honestly think that once you start dealing with the pain and the underlying issues of why you may be drinking (I had a lot of them - and still am in therapy) you really start to respect and like yourself; and don't need to numb yourself anymore.

I am finally at peace. Finally! The last 5.5 years have been utter hell. I am feeling happier, and so much healthier each and every day by getting it out of my life.

It isn't easy as I still have cravings; one so HUGE yesterday that it took over 2 hours and speaking with a family member to NOT buy some white wine. I was literally drooling. I had an awesome interview yesterday and I was feeling very high. I found that this was a huge trigger for me.

But anyway... that is why I quit. Just done with so many things in my life and now I truly have the chance to create a happy life for me and my children.

Ramble over!

Comment

Working...
                              X