Creative Crafts for winter months

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always been interested in arts and crafts, but like so many things, I never got round to it. I always fancied myself a bit of a woodworker. I could brouse the catalogues and wander around the toolshops for hours. I've been given a few great books on the subject and I find the idea wonderful; I just never got round to it.
    While in Canada, we would regularly go round the local craft stores and what Alladin's caves they are; full of beautiful hand made quilts and knitted jumpers and hats. Gloves, jams and pickles, sea glass and paintings. I was bought a pair of hand knitted socks which are rarely off my feet. They're starting to get a little threadbare now but they were worth every cent they cost.
    Thanks for the thread Sunbeam. It got me thinking.

Comment

Been keeping myself busy building out houses. Ha! Top seater is for me.....Ha! Don't want any crap from anybody ! Ha! IAD.
      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
      Dr. Seuss

Comment

In my case, hubby would prefer I took up housekeeping as a hobby.

It truly is amazing how little gets done (read that nothing) when we are drinking. Drinking takes up our entire life. (At least in my case, all day, all the time drinker when "practicing.")

Popeye - one of my best buddies from work is this 6'4" guy whose wife taught him how to knit dish rags and socks. He makes beautiful ones, too!! It looks odd to see this kind of macho hulk walking around knitting, but he would do it when we were pulling all nighters. Something to keep himself busy when we were in a "wait mode" for the servers to finish whatever we were doing.

Hmm. Now you guys have gotten me to thinking.

I have a sewing machine.

I have a brain.

We could definitely use some curtains and new paint!! By spring, the house might look good enough for company. I have some dear friends I could start inviting over who don't drink, that would be a lot of fun but I would like the house to look good before bringing them over.

Okay, paint and curtains!!

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cinders,
          There are lots of instructions on the HGTV site. Many other crafting sites exist, too. Let me know if you want help finding instructions for YOUR project. I would be happy to poke around the internet more, to learn better what's out there for crafting. My true heart is in gardening, but crafts are a good winter substitute.

Iad, I love all the photos you post, but have no idea how you find just the right one every time. Thanks for the unique touch you add to this site.

Popeye, I love buying tools from Lee Valley Tools. I buy all my gardening tools there, but they also have tools for woodworking, and they sell plans for simple woodworking projects.
          My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Thanks Sun......I guess my brain is wired different than most.......short circuit some where ! Ha! IAD.
            Dr. Seuss

Comment

Hi everyone! This is a good thread. Thanks for starting it. I am a photo nut so I scrapbook everything and make cards. I also like wood working. I have a scroll saw I can make cut outs with, then paint them.
              :l
              LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

i am having a blast using my opal cutting equipment to crave Whimsical people pins (army dudes, nurses,clowns) out of broken Bakelite jewelry pieces...it cuts and polishes beautifully and the smell reminds me of my grandma...she always wore Bakelite jewelry.
                I am making funny faces out of wood beads, Bakelite bodies and adding jointed arms and legs to they sorta DANCE...HOW FUN is that ???
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Sometimes......I wonder.....too much spare time ! Ha! IAD
                  Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD,

Well, we can tell it is a MAN who is addicted to the internet.

Note the toilet lid? :H:H

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

[I] Cinders your so right......always check before you squat ! Ha! IAD./I]
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

We also garden a lot here..
                        IAD.........there is poop involved in that also! Cow, horse, chicken.........come on down............you'll love it!!!!
                        "Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

Bell I lived in Germany for a few years......seen many a Honey Wagon. Ha! IAD.
                          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Working...
                          X