Learning to moderate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Learning to moderate

Kirova;523187 wrote: Network, it's always good to have a plan and I hope yours works for you. From personal experience, it's not a path that I can follow successfully. I went 3 years AF...and then started moderating, sometimes going months without a drink. But eventually (like over 2-3 years), I was right back where I started. So here I am again, fighting the good fight.
    Kirova. I think that is the goal of a lot of people who are in our shoes. I have very little problem quitting and not drinking. I think "modding" is way harder.

I would like to think I can eventually go back to the "occasional" glass of wine. I just don't think it is realistic. I guess I can look at it like I drank my life's allotment in the first 42 years. Very efficient of me. :H

Comment

Learning to moderate

Network, just wanted to suggest that perhaps you could also have a look at a website called "Rational Recovery" - some interesting stuff on there about making deals with your "inner voice" about when or whether you would ever drink alcohol again? He does bang on a bit about the "evils" of AA, but if you can get past all that, it does make interesting reading - perhaps not everyone here would agree with some of his ideas though - just thought I'd pass it on if it helps any!
      J

Comment

Learning to moderate

Chief - I think you mentioned RR website a while back as well.

J

Comment

Learning to moderate

hey

Network, I will be watching your success and reading your blog when you reach your goals. GOD knows I have not been successful at moderating and currently am really really struggling w/ remaining AF. It is a BI*CH, but it is easier to stay AF than to try to control my drinking.......................I really long to be able to do that though.

Best wishes,:h:l:h

MA
          :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Learning to moderate

Hey Network
            Just a thought....I also used to take meds for anxiety attacks but since becoming AL free I have less panic attacks and have found other ways of dealing. I try keeping myself really busy and that helps. (working out really helps me) I hope maybe it could help you too!! :h
            "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

~Red :h

Comment

Learning to moderate

Yes, I have mentioned Rational Recovery. It is the whole Beast concept....the idea that we all have two voices in our head concerning drinking. One is the real you who knows you can't control your drinking and really wants to stop. The other voice is that of The Beast, which is our drinking voice. All it wants is for you to take one drink because it knows after one, "it" has you.....

The concept of RR is to learn to immediately recognise those drinking thoughts as those of The Beast and dismiss them. I think there is a lot to be said about this concept. I use it all the time.

Don

Comment

Learning to moderate

Summer Wine, thanks for the website. Reading it now
                We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

Learning to moderate

I'm with Don on this one and I'd be interested to hear - as a newcomer to all of this - what you think of this approach.

Best wishes
                  J

Comment

Learning to moderate

Me neither, Kirova

Comment

Learning to moderate

Drinking Alcool

:goodjob:
                      KateH1;523239 wrote: I will just start by saying, I am a non-drinker, have been for over a year now and I honestly believe that I am "Living Life to the Fullest", without alcohol. I do not believe that drinking alcohol would complete my life. Not at all. But, that is me.

Network, it sounds to me like you have "created your own definition of moderating"....not at all like the description of moderating in the MWO book. That of course is your choice, but I do not want others to read this, and think that your description is the one that is described by Roberta Jewell and MWO.

Also, with your goal of going back to drinking after a year of sobriety, and drinking being your ultimate goal.....I wonder if you will be able to be AF for a year. Anyone that has gone one year AF will tell you, it is a strong comittment to changing ones thinking. Changing to the "Thinking of a Non-drinker". It involves changing many things about the way that we live. Can one live a non-drinking life while drinking and experiencing hangovers so bad that valium is needed, is the ultimate goal?????

Quite honestly, I do not come here to read about the glories of living with alcohol......I come here to read and both give and recieve support for living without the damage that alcohol brings.

Just my thoughts.....I wish you well.
                      KateH
                      sigpic Brand new

Comment

Learning to moderate

In Details;524444 wrote: :goodjob:
                        It good to meet with other and talk about alcoolism. It help to understand the problem that many of us may have.
                        sigpic Brand new

Comment

Learning to moderate

Proble,

In Details;524452 wrote: It good to meet with other and talk about alcoolism. It help to understand the problem that many of us may have.
                          Every I am debating my ways with alcool.. How I handle it and the way it change me.
                          It could be confusing for many of us and difficult to understand about how sometimes we could be powerless over alcool.. I am trying to understand how can alcool could be an addiction...
                          sigpic Brand new

Comment

Learning to moderate

In Details;524456 wrote: Every I am debating my ways with alcool.. How I handle it and the way it change me.
                            It could be confusing for many of us and difficult to understand about how sometimes we could be powerless over alcool.. I am trying to understand how can alcool could be an addiction...
                            Good for you Kate :goodjob:
                            sigpic Brand new

Comment

Learning to moderate

You will be ok

Kirova;523187 wrote: Network, it's always good to have a plan and I hope yours works for you. From personal experience, it's not a path that I can follow successfully. I went 3 years AF...and then started moderating, sometimes going months without a drink. But eventually (like over 2-3 years), I was right back where I started. So here I am again, fighting the good fight.
                              :thanks:Thank you for sharing your experience with your battle with alcool addiction.
                              you did really well and you will succeed...
                              sigpic Brand new

Comment

Working...
                              X