what Consitutes being an alcoholic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For me...I took the label of ALCOHOLIC when it was no longer up to me...When I took a drink...the next one and the next one....took me. I wasn't in control of AL...AL was in control of me.
    I have tried OVER and OVER to not let AL win...The only time that I have control is not to take the first drink. If I do, then I have to rely on meds. to help me crawl back to square one...SAD, but true...for me.
    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I knew when I noticed that my friends were sipping on their cocktails, and I was gulping - waiting for the next to intoxicate me
      If you have come to this sight for help - welcome- we are here- offering non judgement support.
      lean on us, and read everything you can at this sight- you will learn and absorb so much, and sometimes you will probably see yourself in many of the posts
      Good Luck
      DLW
      Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
      And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
        Today is a Mystery
        Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Hi Karl,
        I have asked myself this question about 100 times. I probably also came up with about 100 different answers to that same question. A lot of times trying to justify why I do what I do. I'm a little older than you and I'd like to assume have had a little more experience with the "drink" than you have. (I hope you didn't start at too early an age) But, I think an "alcoholic" is anyone that doesn't have an off switch, or [U]usually[U] [U] cannot stop at just one. Now, don't get me wrong....I can stop at one very easily but I always want more deep down inside. Many times, if in the appropriate setting I will drink until there's no tomorrow....(appropriate setting I say, because I am a control freak and don't like to lose control in front of certain people). But at the end of the day an alcoholic is anyone that has to question whether or not they have a problem, and someone that is experiencing home or work problems due to their consumption. I guess it can be different for different people. But, at the end of the day....if you need to ask that question then I guess maybe it might be a problem. We all suffer the same anguish regardless of our current stage of alcoholism. I hope this helps you.

Comment

Hi Karl,

For me, an Alcoholic is anyone who wonders what an alcoholic is....only because they know (deep down) that there really is no question that they are.I have asked, wondered and answered that question myself. Good luck.

Comment

My name is Sean and I am an alcoholic..

I Googled alcoholic and this is what wikipedia had to say;

Alcoholism is a term with multiple and sometimes conflicting definitions to describe the detrimental effects of alcohol intake.
            In common and historic usage, alcoholism refers to any condition that results in the continued consumption of alcoholic beverages despite health problems and negative social consequences. Modern medical definitions[1] describe alcoholism as a disease and addiction which results in a persistent use of alcohol despite negative consequences. In the 19th and early 20th centuries, alcoholism, also referred to as dipsomania[2] described a preoccupation with, or compulsion toward the consumption of, alcohol and/or an impaired ability to recognize the negative effects of excessive alcohol consumption.
            Although not all of these definitions specify current and on-going use of alcohol as a qualifier for alcoholism, some do, as well as remarking on the long-term effects of consistent, heavy alcohol use, including dependence and symptoms of withdrawal.
            While the ingestion of alcohol is, by definition, necessary to develop alcoholism, the use of alcohol does not predict the development of alcoholism. The quantity, frequency and regularity of alcohol consumption required to develop alcoholism varies greatly from person to person. In addition, although the biological mechanisms underpinning alcoholism are uncertain, some risk factors, including social environment, stress,[3] emotional health and genetic predisposition, have been identified.

This is my own take on MY alcoholism
            I am an alcoholic when I do things under the influence I would not dream of doing sober.
            I am an alcoholic when sober, do everything possible like; cheat,steal,lie, and recognise but ignore my own health problems to get more alcohol. My name is Sean and I am an alcoholic.

Sean...

TYFE:l
            It's nice to be important, however it's more important to be nice

Comment

For me, it was waking up in the middle of every night wishing I hadn't drank so much and vowing not to drink the next day and not keeping my vow. The vicious cycle was consuming me. always thinking about that drink. I got sick and tired of "IT" consuming my mind. It still does sometimes but not as much as it used to.
              May our choices today not result in regret, but rather be wise

Comment

Working...
              X