Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tomorrow is 3 Weeks...and tonight is Friday

My dear friends,

Just checking in after a bit of leave. I wonder if any of you feel guilty when you miss a day of checking the threads [Oney, I am envious of your loyalty and devotion].

Tonight is Friday, and tomorrow will be 21 days AF. My first 20 days had so many triggers it was equivalent to trying to quench a thirst from a fire hose; yet today....well...its kinda boring. Aidan is about ready for his bath (a new favorite time of the night for me; it used to be after he went to bed as then I would 'enjoy' some Crown Royal on the rocks) and I find myself putzing around for something to do. I go to the gym like I'm trying to make weight for some wrestling compettition [pants don't fit anymore:thumbs:] and I end up with more energy at the end of the night. I'm not eating the house out of candy anymore [which adds to the suprise regarding the pants not fitting]. I know all here have suggested changing the routine, but I have other experiences such as excessive energy and then sudden sleepiness during odd times of the day. Does anyone else have this happening to them?

Aidan wants me now, so I will post the rest of my thoughts shortly
    My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

I love your direction!!! Wow is all I can say. Is that a pic of you and A? I think your post is the one Im gonna bump for inspiration. I can't help with your question, but keep on keepin on, YOU ROCK!!
    MM

Comment

Ok, as promised...

Regarding the energy surges and then drain...

Does anyone find energy when they least need it, like around 11pm? Or, better yet...when you need it (like at work or driving home) the sandman jumps on your back and drags you into a drool? I find the infrequent and obvious bad timing of both are starting to piss me off. The wife agrees and is wondering if the new me is becoming an asshole. HELP!!! Most of the time I love the way I feel, and when the energy is there I feel ridiculously good. Yet, when she needs me the most (like after a long day with Aidan) I become aloof...headaches...quick to edit or judge. What is going on?

I hoped to write a more interesting post, I guess I am in seeking mode rather than serving mode right now. By the way, will Friday nights always be this boring from now on? The wife mentioned she admires the fact I have taken everything I used to look forward to and removed it from my life. To be honest...deep down I feel like I have used up all the fun I was supposed to have in this life, like being out of quarters at the Arcade [Now I'm dating myself].

Listen to me, so ungrateful...so inconsistent. Sorry for rambling. You all are just so insightful; I eagerly await your similar experiences...they really help during the weekends. Anyone else who suffers from Binge drinking knows the weekends can be a long mental game...which can also make you sleepy.

Peace
      My creed; "Be the friend you seek, the spouse yours deserves and the Parent your children need"

Comment

Yes, the above is my wonderful son Aidan learning how to fish with me...wondering why they fall for it everytime and quick to let them go back home so they can be with their Mommas and Pappas. (We let them go after we catch them; its the least I can do after ripping them out of the water by their lips)

Comment

We love to fish, but we eat them right after. Unless we don't want to eat fish, then we let them go. But we love fish.
          MM

Comment

Now in Montana, those are real FISH!!! What we catch would be called BAIT where you live.

Comment

Hey AP!! Congrats on tomorrow being three weeks! I will be day 24 tomorrow, and just find it weird - it seems like a lifetime ago and just yesterday at the same time - hard to think around it, ya know?

AP, you are an eloquent writer, very good at getting your thoughts on paper. I have been reading your posts, and like lots here, have found them really inspirational -

Now back to the problem - I have been having the same deal w/ energy and then lack thereof and it doesn't follow any pattern or happen when expected, i.e. at the end of the day when you should be tired. I have seen other writing about it, wondering if the body is in "recovery" or adjustment mode. I thought it might be the schedule I'm under this semester, but the swings of energy/sleepiness do not follow a natural progression.

*this is me whining*

I too would be interested in anybody elses experiences...

Cat
              Catawprint:

"It takes a lot of courage to release the familiar and seemingly secure, to embrace the new. But there is no real security in what is no longer meaningful. There is more security in the adventurous and exciting, for in movement there is life, and in change there is power."
              -Alan Cohen

Comment

AP,

Yes, I also have energy surges sometimes. I am 4 wks AF. I use strong coffee to keep me awake when the sleepies hit me mid-day and I use exercise to ensure a good night's sleep, even though my mind is sometimes racing.

Don't worry about Friday nights feeling boring because you've used up your lifetime fun quota. I have to laugh at the concept you describe - you do have a way with words!

Just think back to how you used to spend your Friday nights. Give me one guess. Like most of us here, drinking was probably the primary activity. Speaking for myself, it certainly eased boredom and was a lazy way to mark the beginning of the weekend, ie drink something to feel good, as opposed to getting off my arse and DOING something to feel good. I never achieved a damn thing except set up my Saturday morning hangover.

This last month, I've enjoyed reading heaps - could never do that when drunk! I guess any activity that really engages you physically or mentally would help pass time. For a wee while there, I even used jigsaw puzzles - yech, spew.

Good luck to you, sounds like you're on the right track anyway.

Comment

alcohol is a depressant, so now being off depressants we are feeling like normal people who have energy and motivation! i am getting so much done everyday and find myself still doing stuff until 9 pm before i decide to chill out and read or watch a little tv. it feels good to be busy, especially during the hours when i would usually be drinking. i do get sleepy in the early afternoon, but i think that might be a normal bio-rhythm, as siestas are usually around 2 pm or so all around the world. maybe we are just more in tune with our bodies and truly feeling what is going on inside instead of blocking it out with drink.

Comment

Congrats AP on staying sober. I am on day 27 here. I know I always say the thing about keeping busy, but after a few weeks it does get a bit harder to maintain. I also missed out on the energy level thing. At first I was more sleepy in the evenings but that was when I was doing so much more. I am going out tonight with friends so that removes my temptation for tonight.

Comment

Hi there AP,
                      Firstly, you are doing great! Well done.
                      I think I can relate to that "3 week, is this it?" feeling and wondering if indeed life will ever feel exciting again...well, yes it does, but it takes work and vigliance. Getting into the healthy habits of exercise and giving your body and mind the time and resources to heal.
                      That adjustment can indeed cause mood swing, flat spots and highs too. The thing is, we probably always had these, but just numbed them with alcohol, so now they seem all the more acute. I went through many phases in my early days, and of course I still do now, but now, I can honestly say my life is so much better in EVERY respect through not drinking. I look forward to things, I feel that deep satisfaction through achievement and I feel a genuine contentment for my situation. Al those positve feelings are not with me 24/7 but they are the overridding feelings. Life is a series of ups and downs and its how we react to each that counts.
                      Now is probably the time to start thinking seriously about other things to bring into your life that you might like. Try different routines, different activities,and see what suits. This all takes trial and error, but the important thing is keep moving forward, if you dont like something drop it and try something else...
                      This is the beginning and not the end.
                      Have fun with it, and yes, keep posting, your posts help us all.
                      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
                      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

very wise words so!!!

Comment

Hi Aidanspoppa!

I am an Aidansmomma! Yes, spelled with the second 'a' even! My Aidan is 6 and is the spitting image of me. I also have a 10 year old son.

I am also today on day 21. And although I was a daily drinker- 4 glasses of wine a day- weekends were 4-5 bottles!!! I can totally relate to the energy high's and lows- although the lows are getting fewer, my husband still can't believe that I head to bed by 9 most nights, when I used to never miss the 11 pm news (with my nitecap, of course!).

I have days that are whinnier than others, and are not just confined to weekends. The trigger for me is the tiredness or headachey feeling, when a hot shot of sake would do the trick. I do however love the bursts o' energy! Kind of a rush, as I never had those when drinking heavily.

I am starting to see that alot of things that used to be 'tough'- like dealing with my kids, are getting easier. I do feel for my hubby though, as I sense that I am boring at the moment ( he drinks- more than he should, but is able to cope with it better?). I am going out with some girlfriends tonight, so that should be interesting...

As for the waistline, you'd think that I would be losing weight, but sadly, nadda! I actually made creme brulee last night... for no good reason! That madness has to stop! Other than walking my butt off, I'd be happy to hear if you have found anything to fulfill that bad habit!

Skoots
                          "I have not failed - I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work"- Thomas A Edison

Comment

What a great job you are doing ...staying AF !!!
                            I know all about the roller coaster of extra energy and then there is NONE...not sure when that will even out ??? But ain't life Grand...with all it's ups and downs ???
                            I am happy to take it as it comes...as long as i am sober.
                            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Working...
                            X