Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any thoughts on AA?

Hi everyone,
    I'd gone to my therapist this Sat. and he asked me if I've ever tried AA. I said no, because I've not heard anything too positive about it. If you will, let me know if it's helped you. I'm willing to try anything that keeps me on the recovery road. Thanks.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Any thoughts on AA?

AA never did it for me and I went for years. Started when I was just 16 and that was a very long time ago. I can say that it has worked wonders though for many people I know and a few close friends that have found their sobriety there and maintain it to this day after many years in the program, so who knows... Give it a try. You may be one of the lucky ones that it works wonders for. You'll never know unless you try.

Best wishes and good luck,
    FROGZ~

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

Hi J-Vo, my Mum is a devout follower of AA, she's been sober for over 6 years now and still regularly attends meetings. She says it is the best thing that ever happened to her and that the benefits are not just about Not Drinking but have many other life benefits if you work on following the program.

Good luck to you whatever you decide.
      AC x x

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

AA is not for everyone....it works for me. Do I follow it 100% NOPE....I take what I need and leave the rest there. Do what works for YOU!
        Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

i go to aa meeting and i find it very helpful .. just being able to go there and listening to other with the same problem .. and like britt said take what you need and leave the rest .. and do what ever you can to keep you on the road to recovery .. go try it and find out for yourself .. who knows you might just like what you hear .. stay strong and think positive
          :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
          best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

hi j ,ive been,in and out for ten years, its not for all. but there is a better way, go to online AA, you mite find it a better start, and if it works you can eventually go to meetings,you can also read the AA on line big book, free,on your computor if you want to no more dont hesitate to email me, gyco or go to chat

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

hope that helps

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

I found AA to be very, very helpful. I stuck with them for 3 years and stayed AF... unfortunately, I quit going to meetings and relapsed, big-time. I do not agree with all of the AA beliefs about alcoholism BUT if you find the right "home group," they can be just fantastic. A very good support so long as you are willing to take what you need and leave the rest, without getting too bent out of shape about the aspects that you might not agree with. The people there are like the people here... all sorts, and many of them quite wonderful, and committed to being helpful.

Why not give it a try?

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

I am a "lite" AA person. There is so much about it that I just find very boring and tedious. I do however go to meetings but luckly for me there are two meetings near where I live, a small town, but each week there is a speaker at the meeting. I enjoy these meetings much more than the Big Book readings and other literature discussions. Seems more "real life" to me and I make a better connection.

I used to be afraid to go to a meeting, living in a small town, what if I know someone? Then I read somewhere, if you are an alcoholic, people know it anyway. As I said before, I host exercise classes at my house and I always wondered why I got a funny, quizzical look from an attendee as I hugged them hello. They could smell the wine, that I had already been drinking, prior to 9:00 am. Who was I fooling?

So yes, try it and see if it's for you. If you are in a larger town, there may be a meeting for beginners, that could be helpful as there is so much that is unexplained at just a regular meeting. It's difficult to understand what the heck is going on. So good luck!

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

My Mom was a Big time Ala-teen leader, back in the mid 1960s...We (3 kids) had to go and we had to learn the big book...All 3 of us kids turned out to be Alcoholics ... I guess that I learned important tools from this group ( sick, not BAD) ..and i know that Mom meant well. "BUT"...as an Adult, I found my local groups to be much to CULT like for me...( goggle ORANGE PAPERS AA) I would hope that they are trying to help, but it doesn't come across that way to me. Having said that, I hope you will give it a try. I really do. Anything that helps anyone...I SUPPORT !!! BIG TIME. Every group is different and is like any other group of people ...some you like, some you leave alone....check it out and see how it feels to you.....just my 2 cents..
                    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

I been in and out of AA since 2004. The last time was the most successful. However...after a 'bad spell...(a rather particular bad relapse), I lost a lot of faith in AA. AA seems to be ok, 'if you stay sober', my experience was, that they don't want to know if you slip. I called my sponsor following that episode. I was very fragile, and vulnerable, and felt lowest of the low. ..I didn't need to be told that by anyone else. I was told.. "you should not have picked up a drink! (well, durr..you don't say), and that "i am not carrying a drunk". THAT could have pushed me over. Was just as well my other friends didnt take the same approach. I was also told "your sobriety comes first!" when I said I couldn't make a meeting because I had to work!!
                      I would never knock AA. It has bought me many a sober night, but you do need to take the bits you like, and leave the rest behind. I believe getting well, is all about gaining as many tools as you can to fight this addiction. That means.. MWO, health supplements, your doctor...AND ..AA.
                      I just happened to loose a lot of faith, with the reactions I got, when I hit that bad spell.
                      My other concern, is... I was always suprised to see the same faces at all the different meetings. Almost as tho these people have swapped their alcohol addiction, for an AA one. You have to get things into pespective. Being able to live sober is what its all about, but not if it means spending all your free time in 'those rooms'. I am not sure that that is 'living' either.
                      Lead me not into temptation, I can find the way myself!!!

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

MY A.A. Opinion

A.A. has been and still is the most succesful programme out there.
                        It is sometimes, intimidating,boring,judgemental.
                        However just like anything around (including MWO) It is a tool that may or may not help and if it helps grab it, hold onto it and run with it.
                        What works for one may not for another.
                        I say try it and see what have you to lose, it may help you to stay sober today..
                        Sean...

TYFE:l
                        It's nice to be important, however it's more important to be nice

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

Here is my opinion:

A.A. Secrets

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

Thanks everyone for your opinions and advice on AA. The common denominator is take what you need and what will work for you and leave some behind. I know everyone has different beliefs and we're all very different individuals, so you're right, how can every single "step" if you will, be for every single person out there - Just like we need to tailor our MWO program to meet our needs. Thanks guys.
                            Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Any thoughts on AA?

First thing they say its that you are powerless.Thank you, its not for me from the start.
                              We are your friends. You don't need to be alone again. So come along.

Comment

Working...
                              X