Nostalgic Smells???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nostalgic Smells???

Hmmmm... how do I explain this? This is bizarre. Smells trigger memories of past experiences. You know for example, you spray a perfume and you get a 'nostaglic' feeling of the past? No? Anyway, I'm using some washing liqui-tabs to do my weekly washing (yes, weekly - I don't have kids) and when I smell it, I shudder because it reminds me of when I was drinking copious amounts of vodka every day. It's like for a second I'm back there... Think I need to change my washing powder.

It happened again just in a similar way. I'm drinking some ginger beer and it triggered a memory of my 30 days AF in September (hold on, that's a taste not a smell!). Think I must have drunk lots of ginger beer or something. In the same way, I must have been using that particular brand of washing powder when I was a drunk!

:H:H:H
    Listen for God's voice in everything you do, everywhere you go; He's the one who will keep you on track. Proverbs 3:6 The Message

Nostalgic Smells???

Not bizarre at all, vlad.

I definitely have a few smells that 'put' me right into a place from my past. Haven't experienced anything yet in regards to AL... but who knows.. might still come.
    Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Nostalgic Smells???

Vladdie, our senses are so powerful they trigger things we aren't even aware we remember. I could list endlessly how I've experienced this but, for each person it's so personal. This can also be a trigger -- be careful, and avoid anything that starts you thinking or 'romancing' the drink or the 'good' experience again. You are recognizing things that remind you of times in your past related to AL, so think of it as your body giving you cognizant warnings! It's a good thing!
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Nostalgic Smells???

I obsess over the smell of old Bakelite plastic...You know the kind that early telephones were made of. My grandma wore jewelry made of this plastic ...braceletes, necklaces, pins ETC...I spend hrs. at thrift stores and on Ebay...hunting this stuff down. If I feel lonely I cuddle up under a blanket and smell that Phenolic smell of the Bakelite and I am taken back to being a little girl, sitting on grandma's lap...and all is right with the world.
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Nostalgic Smells???

Different aftershaves remind me of different times in my life.
          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Nostalgic Smells???

I have a dog that wears cologne. His first owner was an old lady. I'm not sure if she didn't like the smell (he's a schipperke, and that breed generally does not have a doggy smell, and they are small dogs anyway). But she rubbed him with a towel with cologne every evening. Since we got him from rescue, we also rub him with his towel. That makes him so happy, and he runs around the house so proud that he "smells" like his mommy wants him to. So when you walk in our house, you'll smell "Aspen", (it used to be Lady Stetson, but we tired of it), but it isn't us; it's the dog.

Comment

Nostalgic Smells???

Vlad,
              I have a few different smells that trigger cravings that I've learned I have to stay away from.

I had a clorox bathroom cleaner which smell made me crave a drink. i had to swith cleanners. If I had any rooms that needed to be painted I use to do that in the winter to give me something to do. The last time I did that, those paint fumes in a closed up room sent me on a 3 month binge!! But these are smells that trigger my cravings so maybe not the same thing you're talking about.

ps. not painting any rooms this winter.
              AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Working...
              X