Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Hi Friends,

Just a note to those who have been trying and trying for so long to beat the beast and are weary with the fight. After three full years of trying and failing and trying and failing and trying some more, I have finally achieved 30 days without alcohol! I feel so free. It feels like I've made it through a long drawn out divorce and the relationship has finally ended leaving me free to be my own woman. Free at last, free at last!!!

And I really do feel freed from my relationship with alcohol. I just can't imagine choosing to have a drink again. However, I will continue to be vigilant. The last three years have been hard, and I learned much. After trying to quit for awhile, the amount I drank doubled for a year. Then the past year I had cut back to a single bottle of wine 3 or 4 nights per week (a typical week). Though I was grateful for cutting back that much, I knew it wasn't enough - because I wasn't free.

For me, breaking free was definitely a process. So I just want to offer to those of you still trying ... know that it is a process, a journey. It's not just about drinking vs. not drinking. It's also about dredging up from the depths of your soul understanding, compassion and acceptance for who you are and where you are. And for me, the big turn around came when I really, truly got it that I have the complete power to choose the quality of my life. And so I now choose to no longer merely endure life, but to live my life. I don't know if I would now have the desire to really LIVE if it weren't for the journey of the last three years.

Hang in there, keep trying, learn about who you are and why you do what you do, and don't lose sight of your destination.

Peace,
    MyOwnWoman
    :l
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Good for you on getting to where you need to be.......It is a journey but well worth it, I feel that every stumble gets us one step closer. Congratulations on your 30 days.:goodjob:
    "Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Excellent post MOW! Congrats on your 30 days and many more!:goodjob:
      The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

i soooo relate to your post!

it took me time as well, i slipped and drank more than ever and even moderated for a spell...it took all that to get to where i am now, 25 days sober.

we can do this and i thank you for reminding me of that!!!

cheers with water!

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

What a great post! Excellent advice.

I love this:

MyOwnWoman;530174 wrote: I have the complete power to choose the quality of my life.
          sigpic
          AF since December 22nd 2008
          Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Way to go!

"Be still and know that I am God"

Psalm 46:10

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

way to go doesnt it feel great ..
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Great Post!!! You are so right about it being a process. Your post makes me so happy. Way to go girl!!!
                MM

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

MyOwnWoman,

Yes, exactly! You are "right-on"! It is that very moment when we realize that we have the power to "choose" to be our best selves. It was definately a process. It was 21 months after coming to MWO and much soul searching that I finally achieved sobriety. It has been 42 weeks and I still feel that I am on a honeymoon with a wonderful new me, that I am just getting to know. Congratulations and enjoy your new life!
                  "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

(((MOW))))

You know I luv you hon! I'm so damn proud of you!!! You rock girl!!!!:goodjob::l

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Great post ...in fact , one of the best posts that I have ever read here (1 yr. MWO). People need to hear that it is a journey and that there may be potholes along the way. If you never give up, you are bound to succeed....today, tomorrow ,next week...but you will succeed ..Thanks for the great post !!!
                      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

I just remembered something else that helped me to not give up. When I did think a year or so ago that I would never succeed, I thought about all the folks who have gotten sober for good. And I realized that for each of them there was a single day that was the first day of their life of sobriety. It could be any day that I managed to be AF. Any one of those days could become the first day of a new way of living.

Thanks for all your good words!!
                        FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

You already know how damn proud I am of you but I will say it here. I AM DAMN PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! :l
                          I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

Fantastic post! Thank you!

My own experience is similar, I think. I struggled with this damn thing for years and years. It seems insane that I did 3 years AF, then relapsed and stayed relapsed, along with various periods of trying to give it up on my own, for another 10+ years. But there it is. And somehow it truly feels as if I turned a mental corner this time. Drinking is not remotely an option for me; thinking about drinking, daydreaming and fantasizing about drinking are not options, either.

I have finally become totally convinced that my own brain/neurochemistry does not permit me to reliably control my consumption of alcohol AND that drinking again absolutely will destroy my life. Period. Having FINALLY gotten to that wonderful place in my own thinking... I treasure it. It may sound odd, but I truly treasure my belief that alcohol is (for me) an insidious form of neurotoxin. And that I am the one who chooses my behavior, my thoughts, my emotional responses... and the results of my choices in these matters are always clear. These choices are what determine the quality of my life.

Comment

NEVER GIVE UP!!

What a great post! Thank you, MOW!

I actually struggle with the concept of 'process'... of relapse, slip, stumble or whatever you want to call it. In my head, once I made the decision to stop, I should be able to just stop. Right? *sigh*

Thanks for reminding me.
                              Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Working...
                              X