Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm back -- again!

Hi all --

I was here and very active on the board some months ago, as some of you may recall, but have been "away." Am finally getting back into the swing of things, though, and am looking forward on catching up on reading some of the posts and getting to know some of you better. I see some familiar names and lots of new ones. It's exciting to see the program growing --

I had originally started the program with the idea of doing complete abstinence (used to be in AA, you know) and got a prescription for Campral. Had some success with reduced cravings but continued to relapse from time to time. The supps, hypno, etc kept it from getting too bad, though -- at least I think it kept me from slipping too far down that slippery slope. In the end, though I went off the Campral due to unpleasant side effects, and I sort of lost track of the rest of my program as well.

After I re-grouped, I decided to talk to my doc about Topamax, which I started a few weeks ago and just got up to 100 mg per day. I must say I notice a HUGE impact on cravings, and as long as I stick with beer or wine, I have no trouble drinking moderately. (I have learned, through experience, that vodka is still a no-no. Too bad I couldn't just take the doctor's word for that!)

I've gotten back on my supplements, and have started the hypno again and am starting to see results there as well.

Anyway the one part of the program I was still missing out on was the regular support and sharing, so here I am. I must say I'm happy to be back. This new format on the board is quite different so it's taking me a while to get used to navigating but I'm sure that won't take long. Anyway, I look forward to this journey with the rest of you out there.

Mike
    "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

I'm back -- again!

:w Welcome Mike!

That Vodka is a sneaky thing! I think it's the carb base...lol. Enjoy the reading and check out the new Guys forum.

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hi Mike

Im new this week and like yourself vodka is my downfall. I am just at the stage where im working out my best plan of action..going docs tomorrow to see if a get something to get me through the withdrawals as i get quite severe symtoms which is what has stopped me in the past.

Good luck Mike and keep me posted as to how your getting on, ill do the same as i fear the next few days are gonna be the hardest for me.

Take care

Lou x x
      "Every passing minute is a chance to turn it all around"...Penelope Cruz...Vanilla Sky

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hi Mike,

It's not the vodka for me, it's the rum and cokes! Like you, I have found that beer, wine, any day of the week no problem moderating. I have found it harder to mod the rum but have done it now for a few weeks. I just can not allow myself that third one as it directly leads me to the fourth one and on , and on - you get the pic.

I am doing the cds, supps and mods boards with a limited exercise program due to some injuries. Still that exercise plays a big part in the whole "feel better image setting."

Welcome back, I wish you the best!
        Mary

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hi Mike

Hi Mike,

Good to see you back.

Helen

Comment

I'm back -- again!

welcome back mike
            my problem is gin
            the topa is a huge help for me. i ordered it from the uk and now i am almost out. my doc in the states poo-pooed it -now i am nervous.
            2 people have ordered it from a pharmacy in canada named LIFHAUS.ca without a presc. I called them and a man told me I had to have a presc. Any clues on how to do this???? I have 1 more week worth of topa.
            if anyone can help i would be very grateful.

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Welcome back Mike,

Like you, I did the program back in February, but I was intimidated by chatting on the boards and did not participate enough. I also tried to do the program without the topa because I have an HMO that will not prescribe it and the side effects of the Topa just scared me to much to order it off-shore. I did ok for about a month, but it was hell. My journal was full of how miserable I felt and I gave up.

About 6 weeks ago, I really messed up and I knew this program could work, but I needed to do it 100%. So I have. I got the topa offshore, got the new supps, the l-glut (which I think is a magic pill) and the amino. I have been doing the hypos when I can, they make me itch though when I listen to them, but I can get through that most nights, funny side effect! I have also join the Moderation Board, which I recommend to anyone reading or trying to do this. It can be a little intimidating to start as everyone seems to know each other so well out there, but just do it, it has made a huge difference in the program for me this time.

I am into my 4th week and I have been able to stay at 25mgs topa, which I think may be unusual, but it is working for me and I don't have the side effects that others do. The cravings are not really an issue anymore, it is now about the habits. Also, I don't drink more then 2 of anything at a time and I don't drink on an empty stomach anymore. I did have to make those rules for myself, but they have not been hard to follow. I feel really good and I am starting to let myself believe this is not a temporary thing.

Laura
              Humor is just another defense against the universe!

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Gateway,

Sorry, I can't find the other Canada link I had, but I got it from www.inhousepharmacy.com/ which is UK. I did get it in 7 days to west coast USA.

Laura
                Humor is just another defense against the universe!

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hey Mike! :w Good to see ya back around! I don't do Vodka anymore either... I can remember drinking it straight out of the bottle, on a regular basis, for waaayyy tooo looonnnnggg! YUCK! Don't want to go there again! .......Welcome back & :h Hey! where's our little huggy guy?, Judie

The little huggy emoticon has been abducted!
                  The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hi there,
                    I AM registered but I can't seem to log on properly from the old forum to this new one!
                    It's nice to hear that someone has left and come back. Me too.
                    I only tried Topa for one month and found it just the same as when I was not taking it EXCEPT that all my kazillion thoughts in my head were not there any more. I still drank but I was not on the total program because I have moved house and I have yet to find my speaker wires! So, here I am, back again, just like you.
                    CBLOSSOMS (and once I find out how to re-register in this new forum, I will
                    I can't use the smiley face for some reason! :-)

CB

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Welcome Back, Mike!

Welcome Back, Mike!!
                      It's great to hear from you again! You'll always be welcome with open arms as part of this great community. What growth, huh???
                      Anyway, I'm glad that the topa is working for you and that you've adjusted your program in a way that is working for you! It's good to see you around again!! We're actually developing a group of MEN and not just one or two at a time! It's great!

Oh, and to Gateway, I read that people who ordered from Lifhaus just gave their doctor's name and never actually gave the prescription on other threads....maybe that would work for you. Hope so!!!

Welcome back, Mike!!!

Hugs, Kathy:l
                      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hiya Mike,
                        Just wanted to say hello.
                        Up north as in England?
                        LOOK AT IT THIS WAY.........
                        IT CANT GET ANY WORSE.............

Comment

I'm back -- again!

welcome back

i left for awhile too--and can not believe the open arms I recieved once I returned...welcome back

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hi Mike

Hi - well I did reply, but it's gone.

Good to see you back Mike.

Helen

Comment

I'm back -- again!

Hey Wayne!

Have a look at Mike's avatar. Don't think they're rampant in the north of England!

Tawny (wink, wink)

Comment

Working...
                              X