A peculiar thing that worked...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've had OK success in 2009. 1/2 the days booze free so far (I keep a log in my running journal). The last 2 nights, I've arrived home from work and really felt a strong desire for wine. A REALLY strong desire. I actually opened the bottle and poured my usual BIG glass--and sat it down. I swirled and took a big sniff. Swirled again and took another sniff. It smelled very nice--yet REPULSIVE (I can't explain any further). 2 nights in a row now, I've dumped the entire glass down the sink, ate dinner and never thought about it again.
    It wasn't an expensive bottle of wine, but obviously, there are cheaper ways to say "no" to drink.
    One the one hand, this seems like a really retarded thing to do. Yet, on the other, it felt really good in some odd sort of way.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

I never had the balls to toss wine down the sink, but I think I understand what you are saying... maybe this is your way of saying goodbye to AL?
    What ever the reason -- GOOD JOB for not drinking.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

I can't say that I have EVER had that experience. I've had times when it smelled bad and I drank it anyway! Good for you pouring it down the drain! Good job NOT DRINKING!
      Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

BFF I poured a half a bottle (big bottle) of rum down my sink a week ago. Later that day I was glad I did as I was tempted so bad to drink. If it was there I would have drank it. My friends here told me to pour it out. I did it and now I'm not gonna buy any more. Is it hard? Yep! If it's not in the house, I can't drink it. If when I'm out and about and I don't buy any more, I can't drink it. That's my story and I'm trying to stick to it. I'm working on day 10 AF.
        RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

BFF - Seems representative of "The Ultimate Rejection"! Actually quite cool, I think. Contratulations and continued sobriety!
          "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Wow, I have never had the nerve (?) to do that when I was in the midst of a strong desire to drink. But, you really appear to have gotten away with it and I hope that, for you, it will turn out to be a very important turning point!

Comment

It feels good, I pored my whisky down the sink when I stopped, its wierd, beer is a trigger for me, if I smell it or at lunch if I see people pouring one, gee, I want one, liked beer but was never my drink of choice....
              Stay sober x
              Fiona:angelgirl:

Enjoying sobriety since 27th May 2008

Its a long and winding road, but well worth the walk!

Comment

Good job

Maybe it felt good because you had the power over it, instead of the opposite? Whatever the reason, :goodjob:

Comment

Well I think it's okay, as long as I don't get to read a post from you in the future that says you tipped it out a number of times, then succumbed one day and went on a huge bender. You're obviously handling it so far, but I have visions of a pyromaniac lighting matches, then blowing them out, outside a gas station. It's putting you SOOOOOOO close to temptation.

I am a long-term tipper-outer of Al. I would drink all I could imbibe at night, then tip out whatever remained in the bottle (spirits or wine, didn't matter), because I ALWAYS planned on giving up, the following day. My kitchen sink pipes should be very clean, since alcohol wipes are used to disinfect things. I tell my mates I finally quit because I realised I was tipping out more than I was drinking, in the end, and it seemed a waste of money.

Comment

Interesting responses and thanks. Thing is, it wasn't like it was planned or anything, it's just that I made it to that point 2 nights in a row and then threw it out.
                    I agree that this would be a dumb habit to get in to. I think tonight, I'll just plain ol' not drink.

Comment

Working...
                    X