90-Day Meditation Practice Challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read this whole thread-thank you WIP. Can I join in? I think I have enough to begin my 20 minutes. I am going to jump in the shower and then start my sit.....I also need to go to the website you suggested and sign up. I'll post some thoughts later.
    I can see loudly and clearly why this practice would be good for addiction erradication-(for me AL and NIC). Krigs
    "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

That's great Krigs! Yes, there's no particular time to join up, it should and will be totally open the whole 90 days and perhaps beyond, if folks want to carry on... I'll edit that post and add your name!

Comment

Thanks Wippy....I'm off to the shower now, for real. I just spent a few minutes catching up on the army thread. Talk later.....
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Have been thinking of meditation for a while, I'm in!

B.
          Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

Excellent, Betty!

Comment

me too?

Can you count me in? I am really excited as I know I "SHOULD" meditate, but never thought I could do it, you have explained it so clearly, thanks WIP........................count me in!!!

MA:h:h:h
              :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Great, MA!! You're on!

Comment

WIP,
                  I did my meditation and found it enlightening. It is amazing to me how our minds can wonder. I felt a little uncomfortable on the floor-my back hurt and my legs fell asleep. Can I sit on the floor with my back up against the wall for support. I was pretty successful at keeping my mind from racing on to other things but I was distracted by tv downstairs. I thought I would have trouble making it to 20 minutes but I did make it. As the time went by, I found it easier and easier to concentrate on my breathing. I enjoyed it and look forward to tomorrow's session. Krigs

Comment

I just read about the sitting positions and found the chair position so I will use that 2morrow. I will make sure that my hips are higher than my knees.

Comment

i listened to a podcast from tricycle that was an intro to meditation (i forget the teacher's name), and he led a 15 minute meditation that i tried...MAN, it was so cool! i sat in a chair rooted to the ground with my feet hands comfortably on thighs, eyes closed and focusing on my breath...i felt almost like i was in sensory deprivation and became very...i guess freed from my body and really focused on breath and coming back to it if my mind wandered...i almost got anxious at one point because i felt reall out of body or like i didn't have a body, but let it pass and continued with focusing on breath.
                      i really loved the experience and am going to continue with it for sure...no expectations for my next sessions, just an open mind.

peace!

Comment

kriger;541268 wrote: I just read about the sitting positions and found the chair position so I will use that 2morrow. I will make sure that my hips are higher than my knees.
                        that is how i sat and loved it...small pillow under my butt and back away from chair back...

Comment

Peace,
                          Have you done meditation before? My first time was tdy and I enjoyed the experience.

Comment

A Work in Progress;540710 wrote: OK, meditation buddies! I sat my 20 minutes this morning, which is a bit longer than I had been regularly sitting meditation over the last year or so. When I sit for even slightly longer periods of time, my restlessness is always greater, and it gives me a great opportunity to practice resisting impulses! The impulse to take a peek at my clock, to move around, to get lost in thought, to just get up off my cushion and do something else... all of those regularly show up for me. My task is to observe what is happening, in my head and in my body, and then to shift my attention back to the sensations of my breathing, in and out. Every time I resist the urge to give in to an impulse, I get stronger... better able to resist cravings for alcohol, as well.

Tips for today, from me, are along the lines of resources outside of the Tricycle article linked above.

First: the best beginner's book about meditation that I have ever found is Mindfulness In Plain English. You can find it used on Amazon for $8 or $9.

Second
                            , for those who prefer to listen to meditation instructions and guided meditation, a fantastic resources is Audio Dharma. They have an entire course on meditation there, which you can download and listen to, for free. Also, a lot of wonderful talks by some of the greatest meditation teachers now working, from around the world.

Third
                            , here is a website with many of these resources, plus a very nice list (I compiled it myself) of the very best YouTube videos about meditation and mindfulness.

So: let's get started! Post here to tell us how your meditation sessions are going; ask questions; share information, encouragement, problems, and stories!
                            oh my, thank you for the link to audio dharma! i just sat for 15 minutes listening to guided meditation 2/10...i will use this daily.

Comment

kriger;541273 wrote: Peace,
                              Have you done meditation before? My first time was tdy and I enjoyed the experience.
                              i thought i had, but it was more relaxation than meditation. i seem to be getting it, but the lesson is we probably never really get it...

the audio dharma site is incredible!

Comment

rubywillow;541043 wrote: Just saw this site, WIP, and I'm going to read up on it all tonight. If I can do it physically with all the crap that's wrong with my bones, body right now, I want to do it too. I've always had an interest in learning the correct way to meditate and focus. Thanks for the thread!
                                try the chair sit, it was fabulous.
                                i don't have problems with pain or flexibility, i just found it more natural and more like i was in alignment, so it was easier to focus on breathing. i felt "planted" as it were!

Comment

Working...
                                X