Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back ON FRUIT..

Love you Mags & Wips..

i know, i need the other foods as well. YES, i will get them. You are so correct Mags on the tropical stuff.. god you know so damn well, i needed your input on this.. a tune up so to speak. I love you both for caring. I do like carrots, beets, cabbage, all veggies for that matter. GOD i am sick an tired of feeling like crap and going to hell. Last night was tough, but i did it, i stayed down to sleep and fought the temptation and today i feel VERY GOOD.

Love turnips.. i will read your menu for health again.

Thanks.. Ripples. :l

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Roasted Brussel sprouts ...all i have to say is ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS...lightly browned with mustard butter...taste like candy and are soooo good for you !!!
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Evie, i love mustard, can you print how to make these Brussel Sprouts? sounds so good. i have never roasted veggies.. can you tell us? thank you evie..

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Evie.Lou;545599 wrote: Roasted Brussel sprouts ...all i have to say is ROASTED BRUSSEL SPROUTS...lightly browned with mustard butter..!
          Oh, YES!! One of my favorite foods!

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

I just set the oven about 425 and use a broiler pan sprayed with PAM and lay out quartered onions, peppers, sweet potato's, asparagus etc. almost any veggie works WHOLE BRUSSEL SPROUTS ARE MY FAVORITE..I spray the veggies with Pam and sprinkle with Cajun seasoning. You can mix and match but keep and eye not over brown.30 Min's. ...45 Min's. for most things. Take them out as they get done. The thicker veggies to wards the outside of the pan.
            The mustard sauce is just room temp. butter whipped with brown mustard...great for dipping.
            Once you have tried roasted veggies the flavor of steamed or boiled is so bland...i will never go back..
            Try it, I bet you will get hooked on it, like me...

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Ripster, good for you!
              Another much overlooked veggie is Fennel or Anis. You can buy them right now in the super (here at least).
              I take off the stalks and cut the head into 4 pieces and using a mandoline or a sharp knife slice or julienne the pieces finely. Then I melt butter and olive oil in a pan and saute them with slivered almonds until they are just al dente. A drizzle of lemon juice, salt and pepper and the dish is fit for Queen Rippey.
              It has a very delicate liquorice taste and goes well with chicken, turkey or fish. If I serve it with fish I add a teaspoon of chopped dill. Yummmmmm!

And then there are Articokes when they are in season. I totally pig out on them. Said to be good for the liver.
              Happy cooking!
              *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

I love FENNEL ... and LEMON.. thank you LORISUNSHINE ... i left a message at the OLD PHOTO.. (funny) .. ANIS is? Do not like Artichoke yet???

OMG there is so much good stuff here for my grocery list.. MANY THANKS ... :l:l:l

lOVE YOU ALL .. ripples. :l

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

I crave Artichokes !!! YUM YUM !!! I saw a study that said a person had to try "some foods' up to as many as 13 to 17 times before their tastes buds accepted the new flavor...then forever more they liked it...Interesting...very interesting...don't you think??

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

How do y'all prepare and serve your artichokes?
                    :l
                    LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Evie, you know I'm an addict. It took one artichoke to get me hooked....LOL.

Looking, I take kitchen scissors and cut off all the sharp tips. In a very big pot I bring some salty water to a boil and immerse them and put on the lid and boil rapidly.
                      Depending on size they take anywhere from 15 to 25 minutes.
                      When they are done I drain the water and put them in the sink with lots of cold water and ice cubes. When cold I invert and let drain for a couple of hours. You may even have to squeeze them gently to get all the water away.

In the meantime I make a marinade of salt, pepper, sugar, mayonnaise, lemon juice, olive oil and blend it well so it stays together.

Then I open up the artichokes and take out the fuzzy insides which are not edible unless you are a cow, but do not take out the bottom, that is the best part.

I serve them on a big glass plate. You take one, pull off a leave and dip it into the marinade and with your teeth you pull off the thick piece of flesh at the bottom of each leave. You work yourself to the bottom, which is the price. It's lovely and messy and so good for you.
                      If you object to the mayonnaise you can replace it with some soft tofu to give it some body.
                      Go ahead guys, make a mess.
                      Lori
                      *Definition of Insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result* Albert Einstein

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Roasted vegetables

You can also coat them in olive oil -- either in a bowl, or another way is to put your baking sheet in the oven while the oven is preheating, then pull it out, pour the olive oil on -- it will spread over the baking sheet more easily because it's hot. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. The only vegetable I have not liked roasted is broccoli. These veggies are good to have on hand in the fridge to mix with pasta, use as a pizza topping, on sandwiches. Again, buy what's in season (if possible) for best flavor and vitamins.

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Lori, you learned the way I did as a child. Gotta have that mayo! I just needed to check and make sure I am not being weird by scrapping vegetable with my teeth...LOL!!
                          :l
                          LTG AF January 13, 2011

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

This is a really good thread. When I first joined MWO I got on the quinoa band wagon. So good! Recently I decided I needed more fiber in my diet--so I ordered some Muesli--I love it mixed with my oatmeal in the morning--and I am much more regular (sorry). (No I'm not!)
                            Whilst browsing Amazon.com for other "Bob's Red Mill" products I decided to try the Vegi Soup mix. I made some last night and it is delicious and full of split peas, barley, lentils, whole wheat pasta bits, spinach, tomato, celery, onion beets and garlic!! I just simmered it in some broth and tomato juice and added a little diced ham--mmmmmmmm good!!

Check it out Amazon.com: Bob's Red Mill: Grocery
                            The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.ray:

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Here is a little tip to make my life easier. Somebody else has probably thought of that long before me, but I want to share anyway.

I cook barley, wild rice, all sorts of beans, chick peas, Quinoa, lentils, whole peas and whatever other legume or grain I come across. They all have different cooking times, so I do them individually. Then I spread them on a cookie sheet and freeze them individually

Then the loosely frozen grains go into a zip lock baggie and I store them in the freezer. If I need a side dish I just choose whatever or I mix and match. I melt some oil/butter in a non stick pan and gently reheat the grains. Or I sautee an onion and ad the grains and finish off with a handful of freshly chopped parsley and nuts. It's delicious and I look like I slaved all day.

If you do not ad salt to the cooking water, one can use the grains in dessert dishes indiscriminately. Another way is to defrost the grains in a fine sieve all day and they are ready for a quickly tossed salad at night. It also makes a very quick soup.
                              It saves so much time and best of all, it is super economical.
                              Let me know if it's worth trying.

Comment

Back ON FRUIT..

Thanks Lori, I make Hummas all the time and always start with the dried chick peas...they are a pain to soak and cook...I didn't know that they would freeze well. Next time I will cook up a triple batch and put them in the freezer...then I'll have them ready to go....Great idea !!

Comment

Working...
                                X