Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES...

WOW, what a thread!

Skootie - I for one will miss you. Very much! I hope you come back to visit soon. You are a super cool and supportive member of this site that I have benefited from greatly.

Croft

Comment

One says goodbye.. :hiya: and another is reaching for :help!!!!!

one can always join the army thread, its daily fun with tons of support and laughter.

we have choices here ... people, places and things.. :agreed:

Skootie, you are welcome for the memories, i hope there were some GOOD ones..

AFM ... your comment about falling flat on your nose, is so TRUE.. lets not hope it happens to anyone.. because it does..

Be HAPPY.. its so much easier.. Attached files [img]/converted_files/808637=4735-attachment.jpg[/img]

Comment

Ah, what is life without a healthy dash of drama to keep us on our toes, eh?

Skootie - I really hope you stick around. You seem like an interesting person and no doubt have much to add to these forums, as do all that come here. I would echo the oft stated sentiment of: take what you can use and leave the rest behind. We are all alike, and different at the same time, but that does not make any of us better or worse than the next.

Some food for thought...

PERSONAL BILL OF RIGHTS

I have the right to make my own choices.

I have the right to follow my own values and standards,
        as long as I am not abusive towards others.

I have a right to dignity and respect.

I have a right to all of my feelings.

I have a right to express myself as long as
        I am not abusive toward others.

I have a right to determine and honor my own priorities.

I have a right to recognize and accept my own value system as appropriate.

I have a right to have my needs and wants respected by others.

I have the right to say no when I feel I am not ready, unsafe,
        or that it violates my values (this goes for kids too...they have
        the right to say "no" to their parents)

I have the right to make mistakes and not have to be perfect.

I have the right not to be responsible for others behavior,
        actions, feelings or problems.

I have a right to be uniquely me, without feeling I'm not good enough.

I have the right to make decisions based on my
        feelings and judgment for any reason.

I have the right to change my mind at any time.

I have the right to my personal space and time needs.

I have the right to be flexible and be comfortable with doing so.

I have the right to be in a safe, non-abusive environment.

I have the right to forgive others and forgive myself.

I have the right to give and receive unconditional love.

I have the right to enjoy being sexual and celebrate my sexuality.

I have the right to my own spiritual beliefs and to celebrate them.

I have the right to grieve when I don't get what I need.

I have the right to grieve when I get something I didn't need or want.

I have the right to joyfully receive without feeling guilty.

I have a right to healthy relationships of my choice.

I have the right to be angry with someone I love.

I can take care of myself, no matter what.

I have the right to be, and can be, healthier than those around me.

I have the right to trust others who earn my trust.

I have the right to terminate conversations for any reason.

It is OK to be relaxed, playful and frivolous.

I have a right to expect honesty from others.

I have the right to change and grow.

I have the right to follow my own path.

I have the right to be happy.
        :choc: mmm...chawklit :choc:

Comment

Skootie,

I wish you well, and also your sister. I remember when she was diagnosed.

And it really, really pisses me off when oldies change their names pretending to be a newbie and post something they don't have the balls to post otherwise. Grow up.

Comment

This thread makes me sad on many levels.

I wish you well in all things scootiemom, but also wish you would stay.

We have all made mistakes. All fallen short of our goals at one time or another, I am sure.
            I know I have.

Some people need lots of loving support and hand holding to get through.
            Some people need a kick in the arse, and a heaping dose of reality. Tough love if you will.

Please take which ever you need and try hard to leave the rest. :l:h

I have made many a mistake since joining here just over a year ago.
            It took me almost a year to string more than three days together I think.

I have posted emotional posts when depressed that I drank, and felt utterly hopeless.
            I have posted drunk, and utterly hopeless.
            I have posted when hurt or angry about something, when I should have held my tongue.
            I have posted, and read it in the morning, and wanted to crawl under a rock and die.

I am sure for a while (especially when I was very depressed and still drinking) when I was posting like that people would roll their eyes and wish I would stop.

BUT
            Some people just kept on posting supportive posts.
            Some more with tough love...some very loving and a little less harsh.

I am sure I got a few asking me to cool it a bit.
            But I really remember the support and THANK heaven for them.

I am not really sure what I am trying to say.
            I know right now, I still really need this place.
            The more support that is here the better.
            I am even in a place now, that I hope some of the support I offer is helpful, or worth while in some small way.

I still make mistakes.

I am sorry you feel the need to leave Scootie.

All the very best to you.
            Striving to live life without ALCOHOL

Comment

I agree with Bella. This site is full of people with strong opinions who sometimes butt heads. But I think that's part of what makes it special ...
              :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Holy Crap batman! And I thought the politics in my country was bad.:H

But seriously folks, i'm new here so i'm just gonna take a stab at this. i have found great support so far here. I can see where the tension is happening. Those of us who are successfully sober and those of us who are relapsing, and those of us somewhere in between.

but lets face it. None of us are looking at enternainment.com if you know what i mean. We have all struggled with al, and we all came here looking for support. And so far, I have found some really wonderful support here, when i really really needed it. And I hoop it lasts too! So lets not scare away us new guys please
                no time like the present

Comment

WIP, I am not defending myself to you. I respect you, Kate, everyone here.

I am having a hard time with the tough love that is presented to members. They do know that this alcoholism is a problem or they wouldn't be here. Sure, there are people that play games here as well.

BUT ultimately most of us have come from some shitty background. We have been cast aside by friends and family, etc. We came here looking for belonging and to help each other to get this shit behind us.

Tough love may work for some; but most here are emotionally fragile. They need the reassurance that this is a devasting condition and they need to know that they can find the support here. I wouldn't have gotten sober with being told that I am thinking wrong.

It is very cool that those of you who finally get it; or hopefully get it, to share in what makes you sober. But to place judgement upon others... getting tired of their slips etc... is just not what this forum is about.

Crucify me if you will.... if I wanted to be told 'such and such is the right way'; I would no longer be with this forum. No way!

There is a real lack of compassion here. That is all I am saying.

Comment

I just spent a few minutes going over the 'just starting out' and 'need help ASAP' sections to see how our newest most fragile members are being treated and was treated to an enormous outpouring of compassion. ??? maybe I'm daft but I see a ton of genuine compassion here.

Skootie, I really enjoyed our chat the other night....and I sincerely hope this is just a temporary bad time you are having. PM anytime as usual. be well everyone.
                    nosce te ipsum
                    (Know Thyself)

Comment

I am new here and I have felt very welcome here. I'm lost as to what started this and I'm glad!
                      RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

:l Skooters
                        Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                        April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                        wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                        wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                        wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                        wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                        wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                        wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                        http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Hey Skootie, the general opinion here seems to be that you are super duper and a great benefit to many. I agree.

Also, a lot of people here, like Dexter, Bella, Keeta and many others have clearly expressed that differences in opinion are just par for the course.

I also support what Accountable says-- tough love might work for some people, but it can have the counter-effect on others. If people come here in desperate need for understanding, but still in the hopes and determination to eliminate alcohol from theirs lives-- now we're talking about people who recognize their problem and are reaching out, trying to solve it -- I just think sharing, encouraging and leading are better for these kind of people than knocking them down, or lecturing them.

Of course, I speak only from personal experience, and certainly different people respond to different approaches...
                          Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

bravo beatle!
                            Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                            April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                            wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                            wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                            wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                            wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                            wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                            wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                            http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

Skoots rocks! So does her doggie.

Comment

Working...
                              X