to drink... or not to drink...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So....been thinking... why must i obsess? It seems like drinking wine for me can get to be an obsession. So i dont drink....but then I become obsessesive about not drinking!!!!. I want normalcy!! I just would like some balance please. I feel like my brain needs to get sent in for some reprogramming .... I guess that's what you call cognitive behavior work!!!
    I want to fill the voids....create more and new habits.....to drink or not to drink is just not enough!! I want to run and jump and play......
    a couple of weeks ago i told myself I would go 30 days AF...i had a glass of wine monday and thought....is this possible? can i create new habits....can I stop at one and DONT OBSESS over it?

What are your thoughts...what are your habits...how do you find balance...?????????????

Do tell.......
    a ship in the harbor is a safe ship...but ships were not built for harbors.....

Within, for me the most important thing that jumps out of what you said relates to the "obsessing." I cannot allow myself to engage in thinking about drinking... fantasizing.... daydreaming... wishing I could be "normal" or "stop at one" ... wondering "why" I can't be "normal" and "stop at one."

For me, it is crucially important to carefully observe my own thought processes, and to mentally re-focus, or "change the channel" when I find that my thoughts have become focused on alcohol. Getting out of the habit of letting alcohol be a central part of my life (or a major subject of my thoughts) is a matter of practice. For those of us whose lives have revolved around thinking about drinking, drinking, being drunk, recovering from being drunk, planning when we are drinking next, and worrying about our drinking... that takes time, to get alcohol out of the spotlight of our lives. But it can be done.

Comment

It sounds to me like you are fighting your own body. This is the definition of dependence.

It's unfortunate. No one warned us against this. But if you drink every day, your body becomes dependent in multiple ways. Your brain, your urges, and even your muscles become obsessed with keeping the alcohol flowing.

Get some space from it. You need 30 days, and yes, it is possible, and probably you'll eventually do it. We all do it. For nearly 20 years the biggest fear in my life was not death, but that I would have to do 24 hours without a drink. I have overcome that fear, and found there -is- life after AL.

I wish you luck on your journey.

Comment

Practice, practice, practice. Until your brain/body gets to the point where there's a choice. That's what happened to me, anyway. I still think of wine every single day in the afternoon. Now I'm able to stop my thoughts and think, do I really want wine or do I want to _______ instead? The ________ is often "read a book", "take a nap", "clean out somethingorother", "hang out with kids", "go shopping", etc. And I look forward to the feelings associated with doing those things. I don't feel as if I'm missing out on anything.

It took me a long time to get to this point and I'm still learning. I still have triggers and bad days. But I'm getting there. It takes time and not giving up. And boy oh boy, is it worth it!

Take care,
        Be
        "Action is...the enemy of thought." :l Joseph Conrad

Comment

dont do it
          Gabby :flower:

Comment

Working...
          X