I'm really scared - is it too late?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've just been listening to a radio programme all about alcoholics and liver damage. The 'expert' was saying that many people drink too much with out realising it and then Liver disease just creeps up on them and the only option is a transplant.

I've been drinking far, far too much. I feel embarrassed to even admit to you guys just how much. In the last year it has crept up to two bottles of wine a night and generally five or even six nights a week.

I plan to try and go AF from today - went to the local gym and joined yesterday so that I will have something to fill my evenings. But I'm wondering if its too late? I did have a blood test a couple of years ago which was OK, but things have escalated now and I am so worried that my liver is damaged. I feel sick with worry. Can anyone advise? :upset:
    Never put off to tomorrow what you can achieve today!

Have you just been listening to Radio 2? I heard that too.
    i am not a doctor, but the best thing you can do is to stop drinking now. Your liver is a wonderful organ and it can heal given the right circumstances.
    Its never too late to choose a healthy life Snap.
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Snap
      The only way you can find out, is to see your doctor.
      "Decide-Which Voice in Your Head you Can Keep Alive" (Shinedown)

Comment

Snapdragon, hang in there - it is most likely not as bad as your mind wants you to think and IT IS NEVER TOO LATE.... Yes, drinking in excess can harm your liver, however it is not a given and there are no set rules. The liver is a resilient little organ and you'd be surprised how quickly it can bounce back after you stop drinking.

So, try not to sit there and obsess about this - most likely you are okay but a trip to the doc can confirm that. What you need to do now is work hard at not drinking anymore and you'll be amazed at the turnaround...
        Sobriety Date: June 15, 2007 -- "It's not having what you want, It's wanting what you've got...."

Comment

Snap... I drank pretty much the same amount.

As in all other situations... WORRY isn't going to accomplish anything If you need an update on your liver health... go see your doctor and talk to him/her. Have some more tests done. Speculating what could or could not be is only going to send you back to the drink. At least, that's what it would do for/to me

Good luck! :l

Okay, WHO put a stop payment on my reality check?

Winning since October 24th, 2013

Comment

Thank you - I really am going to seriously try to stop drinking now. I've been thinking about it for days and my first step to commitment was joining the gym. I go for my first workout tonight.

Today is officially my Day 1 AF - wish me luck. I HAVE to do this - I don't want to die!!

Comment

I have worried about that too . . . but I thought about the fact that they can cut the liver in two and transplant it and it re-grows, so darn it, it better be able to heal from 10 years of abuse!

I really try now not to take any medications unless absolutely necessary just to be extra nice to the ugly thing!
              Member since January 2008
              AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

startingover;552241 wrote: Have you just been listening to Radio 2? I heard that too.
                i am not a doctor, but the best thing you can do is to stop drinking now. Your liver is a wonderful organ and it can heal given the right circumstances.
                Its never too late to choose a healthy life Snap.
                I agree with startsy...the liver is a shelf healing organ and a great liver support sup that i take is called liv52. goggle it. There has been alot of research to show how well it works and my liver tests are coming back as normal...AMAZING STUFF !!!
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

"Too much" is so very relative. It matters whether you are male or female or how much body mass you have. You can self test by laying back relaxed and press gently into your abdomen. It should all feel firm but gives a bit. You should not feelin a hard spot like a bone, or a place that doesn't "smush". Liver problems are also an issue if your skin attains a yellow cast, like a tan, but just yellow.

Alcohol comparison is measured in units. A bottle of wine contains approximately 6 units. A stiff cocktail is two units. Two bottles a day is 12 units times seven days is 82 units a week. The recommended amount is 12 units a week, so that's 70 units over. A "discount bottle" of booze here in the US contains 54 units, and I generally did two a week for years, so that's about 108 units a week. Somehow my body managed and my liver recently tested fine. I don't wish to return to that kind of volume.

Evie has a good point, your body adjust quite well, both to drinking, and to ceasing. Unless you are experiencing liver pain or jaudice (yellow skin), I would just assume your liver is the least of your worries.

What worries most, is your brain. It's the little voice inside that -whines- "Ohhh, that was just a hard day, just a teeny little drink would -really- help". Your little voice lies, and has a hidden agenda. It's the hardest thing to realize the voice in your head is slimier than the worst politician you ever met; endless promises, no results. You can vote the voice inside your head out-of-office, but it never really leaves. You just have to lock it away, and say to yourself "I'm living without my -inner voice- for a while".

Comment

hi,as many have said ,try to stop,what is a lot,geees i watch interventions of late , if i drank as muh as some of them , dam id be dead,i dont beleive its about how much,as how much the tht of Al and drugs consumes your every day life, , every moment ,of every day,that is alchoholism at its finest,that is alchoholic,that is the conclusion ive come to as of now.hope it all works out for you gyco

Comment

Snapdragon;552248 wrote: Thank you - I really am going to seriously try to stop drinking now. I've been thinking about it for days and my first step to commitment was joining the gym. I go for my first workout tonight.

Today is officially my Day 1 AF - wish me luck. I HAVE to do this - I don't want to die!!
                      I am with you today!!!! I have to stop NOW, as tomorrow never comes and I am pretty sure I am not getting any healthier in any area of my body or life at the rate I am going. I wish you luck and give you support and am with you on TODAY! As not only do I not want to die, I want to LIVE!

Croft

Comment

You guys are all so fantastic - what would I do without you. I have gone from feeling in total despair to feeling really up beat and motivated! :thanks:

Evie-Lou - I have just ordered Liv52 (double strength) on the internet and I made a huge step. I told my son that I am giving up drinking (I've never done that before, because I always believed I would fail and let them down). He was over the moon and promised clean his room if I can make it for a whole week - lets hope I can make it much longer.

Croft - I'm with you - DAY ONE - good luck to you too. X

Comment

snap...after i told my daughter i quit, i felt strong and motivated...it's been over 6 weeks and i still feel like i can kick al to the curb.

good for you and keep up the positive outlook!

peace

Comment

You go Snap - I am keeping my eye out for your progress and very hopeful for you!!!!!!

I too, am feeling less despairy

Comment

oh this post really helped me. I came on here as I was really battling with the devil who is trying to tempt me to go to the shop. But I am resisting. Yeh, I imagined my liver and dying of it. What a waste. Thanks for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X