Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer

How using Facebook could raise your risk of cancer | Mail Online

Typically scare-mongering type of article you'd expect from this 'rag' but it definitely raises some good issues concerning face-to-face contact.

I look at kids growing up these days with all the latest gadgetry (mobile-phones, ipods, laptops, game consoles etc etc) and think to myself where is that element of risk and adventure gone. (The very risks I was not prepared to take in life because I shunned all responsibilities through my drinking and drug taking.)
    Society needs to keep a sense of adventure and encourage others to live life more adventurously. If adventurous activities are ?too dangerous? for young people to take part in then we will be left with an increasingly passive society, reliant on the virtual stimulation of television and gaming rather than trying the real thing; reduced health and fitness; a reduction in adventurous spirit and reduced personal responsibility. All of this culminates in a stale, unmotivated, unfit society reliant on the blame culture if anything goes wrong: rules and regulations enforced to make us safe actually just making us weak
    So YES although I am a member of Facebook, Myspace, Youtube and various forums including this one I manage my time on these sites a heck of a lot better these days with having more face to face contact with people. If I was overweight for instance the solution is not to become anorexic is it? And likewise with facebook and many other things in my life I need a balance so I'm not filling the void by replacing one addictive type of behaviour with another.

Anyway just some social thoughts going on in my head recently as I've seen facebook mentioned a lot recently!!

Love and Happiness
    Hippie
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

ive been warned Hipps, thanks!

Comment

It was you I was WARNING ANYWAY limescale!!!!lol
      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Thanks Hippie, shucks..always looking out for me!
        Why I should pinch your little cheeks!!

Comment

I hope you weren't referring to my butt!!!!

Comment

of course I was, ive seen your photo, where else could I pinch any flesh...........you skinny little crusty you!

Comment

FACEBOOK ABANDONS BID TO COPYRIGHT YOUR TEDIOUS EXISTENCE FACEBOOK users were celebrating last night after the social network abandoned its bid to copyright the mind-numbingly tedious details of your pointless life.

No, you hang on to that
              Founder Mark Zuckerberg reversed changes to the site's terms and conditions after spending just two hours reading a selection of users' entries.

He said: "It does just seem to be a lot of cat pictures, a smattering of furious extremists and some people who have taken time to tell the world that they're about to head off to the gym."
              He added: "Rest assured, all content will remain the copyright of users. This of course means we will be cancelling talks with Paramount about making a Jim Carrey vehicle based on your Friends of Scrabulous night out in Watford."

The decision was welcomed by Nikki Hollis, founder of the online campaign group OMG!1! Facebook want to totally own us. WTF?!?!.

She said: "Everyone tells me I should make a film about all the random stuff I do and now it can happen. A guy I shagged last week works for E4 and said I could completely be a character on Skins."

A threatened boycott of the site never materialised. John Gage, an estate agent from Carlisle, said "I was going to delete my profile, but then realised I would have no other way to fill the cavernous gaps between fag breaks.

"Basically it's either Facebook or masturbating under my desk, and I'm not a young man anymore."

Meanwhile a spokesman for rival site Twitter confirmed all messages will remain the intellectual property of its users, adding: "Bizarre as it may seem, there's not a huge market out there for gobshite haikus."

Comment

Working...
              X