had my change of life moment 7weeks af

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have read people with addictions talk about their change of life moment, car accident, arrest, divorce etc... Well my moment came Dec 29 2008 and I have not touch alcohol since that date.

My husband was feeling ill, so I was drinking alone, next morning I had a bad hangover, my husband really started getting ill and ended up in hospital, he almost died, he was bleeding internally, the crazy thing is they said the bleeding was cause from esophageal varices caused by cirrhosis of the liver, my husband has Diabetes?s 2 and a diseases called hemochromtosis (iron overload) which can hurt your liver.

the hospital DRs told me my husband was an alcoholic and that is what caused the liver cirrhosis, ( they look down on alcohlics with cirrhosis) I told them he was not an alcoholic he only drinks 1-2 beers a few nights a week, it really hurt me for them to think he had the drinking problem and not caused by his other health problems.

The guilt knowing I should be the one with the liver problems not him.

So he can not touch alcohol the rest of his life (he might not have a very long life if he does not get a liver transplant) so I decided this was the time for me to stop drinking too, it really has not been hard, a few times the stress of his illness I thought ?a nice glass of wine would be relaxing?, but he can't have any so I don't.

You might think this sobriety won?t last because you are doing it for your husband not for yourself, but that is wrong, I want to be the responsible person I have always been, drinking was making me irresponsible and I hated that about myself, any emergency can happen to anyone, I need to be the best I can be for my husband whenever he needs me. I like who I am now, I can hold my head high again and sleep with a good conscience. One day at a time.:l

Thanks for letting me get this guilt off my chest
    Plumeria
    sigpic

Plum, well done. 7 weeks is great and you are a great wife, supporting your husband when he needs you the most, Please God, and I will light a candle that his transplant will happen.

Comment

so scary, Plum. That exact thing happened to my bro-in-law, although his WAS caused by alcoholism. can't believe the medical professionals dealing with your husband were so insensitive/unprofessional.:l Glad you are doing so well.
      :boxer: Get the hell out of my house, Al, you worthless bastard!!

Comment

Plum, well done on 7 weeks, and for being such a strong and caring woman. I will say a prayer for your husband.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Congrats on 7 weeks. keep up your strength through good and bad times.
          To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

I am so sorry your husband is suffering with this and pray he gets the transplant he needs. But it is good to hear that this crisis became a turning point for you. That is the beauty in the midst of tragedy. Sometimes it just takes something to jolt us past the point of no return.

Seven weeks is fab!
            If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

awesome 7 weeks well done .. thats great you are there for your husband stay strong and think positive ..
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Nice work!!! And an impressive show of strength and support for your hubby!!! You certainly have my confidence that you will be able to do this for a very long time!!

Comment

Plumeria,
                  You really are doing this for yourself, you are becoming the person you want to be. Your husband will greatly benefit.
                  My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Plum, I will be saying prayers for you and your husband. :goodjob: on the 7 weeks!
                    RUM IS POISON AF since 09/28/09

"The hangover last a lot longer than the buzz!!!" quote from FloridaBoy

Comment

I'm sorry to hear of your husband's problems, plum. I too will send out a prayer. I think it will last too. You not only sound strong, but there is a peacefulness about it too. Congratulations!
                      sigpic
                      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Sounds like you are both well on your road to recovery. You go girl!
                        Patience has its limits. Take it too far, and it's cowardice.
                        - George Jackson

Comment

Plum -

I think quitting for someone you love is just as important and powerful. We've all tried for years and years for ourselves and sometimes we just don't have the strength to do it for ourselves. Doing it for someone we love because of a critical situation like this is powerful enough to stick in our minds and keep us strong. Your husband is lucky to have you and together the strength you show will get you through his medical crisis.

You will be in prayers - for your husband's health, for your continued sobriety and to grow as a couple through this.
                          Member since January 2008
                          AF since August 25, 2008

Comment

Dear Plum - Congratulations on your 7 weeks AF. You are being so strong for your husband, he is very lucky to have you. :goodjob: So sorry that your husband is ill. I am not a doctor but I know that the liver is a regenerating organ that sometimes heals on its own when they think that a transplant is the only hope. I hope your husband gets better.

I will pray for you both!:l
                            Mrs. Swino
                            AF since 2/9/2009!!
                            Working toward 90 day goal!
                            Then I don't know..
                            and then I'll hate wine...Ya, that's the ticket...

Comment

I THINK THAT IS TOTALLY ADMIRABLE ABOUT YOU. A REAL QUALITY. YES, THEY DO SAY WE HAVE THAT MOMENT LIKE WHEN THE LIGHTBULB GOES ON GENERALLY IT TENDS TO BE TRAGEDY. HE MAY LIVE LONGER THAN ANYONE ANTICIPATES. MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU. VERY INSPIRATIONAL AND WOW WHAT A LADY... YOUR HUSBAND MUST BE SO PROUD OF YOU AND YOU MUST BE OF YOU. :h FOR YOU AND YOUR HUSBAND...

Comment

Working...
                              X