What would you have done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MyHeartIsDrenchedInWine;559782 wrote: At 13 shop owners sold me the real thing with wine! At 14 I was out clubbing in high heels! I think this is between you and your child and the shopkeeper should not be held responsible. I also agree with Greenie......words of wisdom!
    Yep, and me, but if they had not have sold me them it would not have made a blind bit of difference I would have got them anyway, by means of an older kid or whatever.

I think the worse thing one can do is act with shock or anger- it makes the forbidden item seem exciting- I hope I would have said something like "What on earth are you wasting money on that rubbish for?" in a casual non-interested way- and maybe pointed out something that was kinda cool that he might have been able to buy instead.

I am sure my fascination with cigs started because they were so taboo. my friend and I began smoking at the age of 11- we were both from strictly no smoking families. Maybe if we'd bought some fake ones and were made to feel a bit silly with them we would have never progressed to the real thing!

(Thankfully I did manage to stop 22 years later).

Comment

Good question

I would have to agree with Greenie, if you get upset with the child you may close off future communication with him. Kids are very sensitive on so many levels. And Greenie made a lot of sense, tactful and yet concerned.

I have four children and we were rather hard on the 2nd eldest when we caught her smoking at 12 or 13 (she is asmathic). Years later our communication is not what I had hoped it would be, plus she lives in another province and she still smokes. (I would lay down my life for anyone of my four children).

Comment

He probably has stock in Philip Morris. Sleezeball.:finger::finger:
        Starting over again
        ray:

Comment

Working...
        X