Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you give up smoking... WHAT happens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi everyone. I had an appointment with my doctor today because I had burnt myself badly while cooking. Yes, another accident whilst completely sober. While I was there I thought I would mention the fact that I had given up drinking 4 weeks ago and smoking 3 weeks ago and had to keep clearing my throat frequently, just like I had to do when I was smoking.

He told me that was normal because my nerves were readjusting themselves. It would stop in time. Well, that was reassuring because I was a bit worried I'd done some permanent damage.

What was VERY interesting, is he told me I may notice that I smell for a while. And I mean stink body wise.

Well, you could have knocked me over with a feather. Because I do indeed smell and it's very embarrassing. I have to shower 3 times a day and was thinking my deodorant had stopped working on my body. I was about to switch brands to see if it made a difference.

What it means, he said, is all the dirt and crap from my lungs is working it's way out through my pores because the nerves are now more active and forcing the crap out of my body. He can't tell me how long this stink is going to last, but it is temporary. He jokingly said the only way to stop it was to start smoking again.

Just wanted to share this info in case anyone else has the same problems.

Pan
    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
    AF May 23 09 to July 09
    AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

That's interesting I never heard of that before. Smell ya later. :H:H:H:H
    Starting over again
    ray:

Comment

OMG that exact same thing happened to me too! I too thought my deodorant wasnt working anymore. I said to my daughter who buys the same brand - dont get that particular one anymore it doesnt work! On reflection she did look at me strangely but then again that is nothing unusual!
      BH

Comment

True,
        Smokers smell, and non smokers can smell them, it's just that smokers can't smell themselves. It's kinda like iof you eat tons of garlic...you really smell. It will go away in a short time.
        The cough? Well, I still cough. And I stopped smoking 20 years ago. But I'd rather cough than smoke.
        Why are you having three showers a day? Maybe you don't have any water restrictions where you are. The showers won't rid you of the tobacco smell except in your hair. Just be patient and in a week or so you'll be ok. Honest.

Comment

Rags, I gave up smoking 3 weeks ago. It is not tobacco smoke that is the smell, rather the smell emitting from my pores from my dirty lungs, trying to clear the crap out of my body. So it is being released through my pores.

Why 3 showers a day, because I stink. And it is not the smoke. There is no smoke. I do not smoke any more. And no, not water restrictions here, really.
          Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
          AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Actually, if you go to a dry sauna a couple of times a week, it will clean out your pores. If you want to be amazed, sit on a white towel for about 15 to 20 minutes and see what "color" you are sweating out.

The sauna just speeds up the process.

Comment

Yeah i think the same thing happened to me cause i switched deodorant twice in the last 6 weeks cause i thought my normal one wasnt working anymore then the next didnt either. I had to change my shirt throughout the day lucky i work from home. Then i started smoking again for 3 days and have stopped again for 4 days and now there is no smell.

Comment

It definitely wasnt a "smoke" or "smoker" smell it was just extra smelly sweat (TMI!). I used a steam room a lot in those early days of giving up and I found that great. Mind you I had given up both A & N so I had double dose of crap coming out my pores.
                BH

Comment

OMF!! I've been stinky all this time and didn't even notice -- how embarressing!
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Boozehag, I have also given up AL and N.

DeeBee, believe me, you would notice. You probably just don't stink.
                    Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                    AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

This is going to sound a dumb question, but just what do you think the smell is? If you stopped smoking 3/52 ago, then all the glug should be out of your system by now. Physiologically the crap in your lungs will not come out in your skin ( via capillary action). Maybe it is just your body adjusting to the new you! Is it really that bad? I never experienced it so that's why I'm asking.

Comment

Rags, the smell is bad BO. I certainly hope this is not the new me. It is really that bad.

I only know what the doctor told me, and I guess he knows best. And I didn't tell him I was getting smelly. He told me it could happen. And it wasn't like I was smelly in his office, because it was first thing in the morning, half an hour after my shower.

I wish I wasn't experiencing it. But as he said, it will stop eventually. It is my nerves getting life back. Which is a good thing.
                        Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                        AF May 23 09 to July 09

Comment

Working...
                        X