Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Language and Heritage

Hello ( sheepishly)

Afetr my rant and rave I have chilled a bit due to Dianes soothing words. - so YES if you're happy and you know it Take a hike.. Made me laf so I'm ok now..Thanks for that Wynot xxx
    Didn't have lunch - maybe why so moody.
    Anyway thought I would start a new thread since most of us seem to hail from the United Kingdom through one way or another... Loads from Ireland . I have a long story bout heritage cos adopted - will tell another time - but inextricably linked with The Emerald Isle - And way back -Native America !!! Woaaaah ...
    Have you ever read any of Bill Bryson's books? There is one in particular that i relish - 'The Mother Tongue' . Basically it is about whence our 'english' hailed from. it is a mixture of Anglo-Saxon - ( mainly crude, swearing and blasphemous words ) Latin = ( italian, french and spanish - very similar ) however mainly our language is derived from Germanic descent obviously with many other influences, if you have ever read Middle English text - i'e Chaucer - Canterbury Tales. - I think THEY are the aliens that have infiltrated our world- !!!. So hoorah to Tawny, Diane and i think Shas mentioned a link to our Bratwurst friends too !! "I mentioned the war but I think I got away with it" John Cleese 'Fawlty Towers'- ... Shas - Welsh - I lived in Wales for 6 yrs on Pen-y-mynnydd Road. (- Top of the Mountain Road,) Pen = top, y = of the, mynnydd = mountain. And the village was called Pen-y-ffordd = Top of the road. (Road = ffordd.. ) The double d is pronounced 'th' .
    Anyway... I am fascinated by linguistics ( although have not formally studied - might be an idea for me to take a course.) i love how language breaks down, and you can see how they meld together.
    Bankrupt - Means Broken Bench in Italian... In olden days - don't know when - see I'm an amateur, there were money lenders in market places that lent money ( obviously). They sat on benches waiting for their punters to come along and borrow or pay back money lent... If one such unfortunate had not reclaimed his outstanding monies that he had lent and therefore could not pay for his pitch in the market, then the market inspector would come along and smash his bench up - therefore he could no longer trade - hence Banco ( bench ) Rupt ( as in rupture ) . I find this fascinating... I break down words in my head constantly...
    Well I reckon I'm back to normal. Poor you !!! Hee Hee .
    CJ - are you from Moscow , Russia?
    Anyone ever seen The Red Violin - with Sam L Jackson in it ( another Welsh surname ) watching it at the minute - they are speaking in French Ita and Germ - LOVE it...
    Especially that lilting lone violin... speaks to all xxx
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Language and Heritage

Hi Bambs! Nope not from Moscow or Russia, born and raised in USA. Although my moms' side was German. Never been to Europe, about the only outside areas of US I've been are: Bermuda, Carribean several islands. Would love to see Germany and Ireland, and can't think of any place I wouldn't love to visit? ( well maybe...Iraq etc not on the list of to doo's) Hopefully someday that will change for the better? CJ
    CJ

Comment

Language and Heritage

Completely agree - That'll be Blair and Bush - Busom Buddies - and for what... well we all know...

Ashamed of my country, So many Souls for Crude Oil. Rather sleep when it gets dark,... tis the way we have evolved. Anyway not into politics but this is an abomination.
      Have read the thread re Iraq... so many other countries... so many children , families , such sadness... makes me humble
      ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Bambs aka Hydrogen

:h XXX :h

Comment

Working...
      X