A small AF vs. Modding question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was very depressed, in the past I've suffered from paranoia and low self esteem. I convinced myself that my boyfriend (of 3 years now) didn't love me. So I went out, and drank enough alcohol that I blacked out for several hours and woke up in a hospital with a drip in my arm. it wasn't pretty.
    The way I change the past is by not repeating it
    -James Hetfield, Metallica

Comment

ThatGirl,
      I am SOOO glad you reached this decision. You can get your life back.
      My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hi That!

Try this experiment if you really thinking about modding over abstaining

Have two drinks. Not whoppers, just 2 normal beers, or a couple of shots of your fav hard stuff, mixed or not, or a couple of 4oz glasses of your fav vino. Then stop.

Do this every day (once per day) for one month. Check the days off if you like on your calendar. Remember to be careful not to skip any days, or cheat on the amount of alcohol or the number of drinks (just 2 per day, no more).

If you can safely complete this test without going over the number of drinks then you're well on your way to modding.

An alcoholic will either not attempt the experiment knowing it will be impossible for them, or will not be able to stop with 2 at some point in the month.

There is no question of a doubt that I would not even attempt this myself by the way as I know what the outcome would be!!

Love and Happiness
        Hippie
        xx
        "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
        Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Hippie,

Wow, thanks for your post. I pasted (or failed) your test. No way would I even try the experiment as I know it would be impossible to stop at 2 drinks.
          AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

That is very interesting; my only problem with it is that 2 drinks is technically heavy drinking for a woman. I would suggest one drink for a woman, maybe 2 for a man? And maybe don't try it for awhile, if at all possible, get used to a new life!
            Lila

Comment

Lila, I think that this is the "test" traditionally recommended in AA's Big Book (is that right, Hippie?) and was originally designed as a way for a person to fairly quickly become convinced that he either could or could not control his drinking (and of course AA was mostly about men, back in the 1920's, or around then). The idea about the suggesting 2 drinks probably is that anyone who wants to drink moderately, or to control their drinking, is very likely at least sometimes to want to be able to have a "couple" of drinks, without then proceeding to get drunk... From that perspective, I think it's a pretty good "test."

Comment

Lila, the recommended drinking allowance for both men and women is now 2 standard drinks per day. It used to be 4 for men. That is the Australian standard, anyway.
                Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
                AF May 23 09 to July 09
                AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Hi WIP! Yes you're right that test does originate from the BB and was one that was suggested I try a long time back. I still blatantly lied/convinced myself otherwise though a few months back and within a week I was sneaking Vodka into the house!!.

Hips
                  xx
                  "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                  Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

hippie37;565773 wrote: Hi WIP! Yes you're right that test does originate from the BB and was one that was suggested I try a long time back. I still blatantly lied/convinced myself otherwise though a few months back and within a week I was sneaking Vodka into the house!!.

Hips
                    xx
                    Ha! Yeah, it seems like a good "test," but I always managed to defeat the whole purpose by "deciding" that I wanted to drink more than two, and then rationalizing the whole thing by telling myself it wasn't that I "couldn't" control myself, it was just that I didn't "want" to. Very typical alcoholic thinking...

Comment

I've got all excited about trying that test now! Seriously though perhaps it's something for a bit further down the line as I'm 7 weeks AF. Hey I said weeks and not days that must be progress!

This discussion fascinating as I didn't think AA acknowledged that you could be anything other than an alcoholic and always an alcoholic. Are you off the hook if you pass this test? I still don't genuinely know whether I am or not. Ties into something Moo said on another thread about a distinction between being dependent or just following a pattern of habit/learned behaviour

Confused x
                      AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Jo, AA still believes there is a hard-and-fast identifiable "disease" called "alcoholism" that you either have, or don't have. The test is designed to see if you "have" it. Among AA people, the idea is that if you "have" it, you not only never get rid of it, but it is "progressive" and continues to get worse, even if you are not drinking! (I find the latter idea rather far-fetched and it is certainly unproven.)

For those who research this stuff, the question of alcohol dependence (which is the current technical term) is known to be much more murky than the AA viewpoint. It seems most likely that some people have a strong genetic predisposition to alcoholism, and that can be exacerbated by environmental factors and "habit/learning" factors (the latter, of course, being neurological patterns that can be reflected in anatomical changes, over time).

It seems likely that among those who have tremendous difficulty controlling their consumption, and strong "cravings" or desire for alcohol (together with tolerance, and occasionally with severe withdrawal [although that is no longer thought to be necessarily diagnostic]), some might be able to reverse the process and learn to control their consumption; others cannot. The "disease" or disorder likely exists more on a continuum of severity, rather than as a distinct disease entity that one either "has," or doesn't "have."

Comment

WIP yes that all makes sense. Unhappy to consider you have progressive alcoholism even when not drinking!! May as well give up now ~I joke of course.

The concept of dependence existing on a 'continuum of severity' seems from a psychological viewpoint at least to have a better 'fit' with many of its subdisciplines.

However, in giving a diagnosis of a 'disease' and if dependence is in fact that, there will obviously still be a continuum within that disease state itself. Whichever way I come to it, the AA approach seems a little static. But I suppose that doesn't have to matter if it provides help and support.

On a personal level, I would like to know how dependent I am, how much it might be possible to unlearn those habits and behaviours, whether i can decrease my tolerance. This is when I realise its a personal journey which you cannot really rush. It's about learning and reflecting and deciding what works for you. At this stage of the game, I strongly believe that I need a decent time AF (6 months plus) before I start to think about possible next moves.

Thanks for helping to develop my thoughts on this. In one way its liberating as I see different options opening up in the future. In another its scary like being let off the leash and not being told what you 'have to do'. That old parental whisper........!
                          AF since 19 January with a week's holiday last week. Today is AF day 1sigpic

Comment

Tolerance is easy to temporarily reverse, by not drinking for a while. But it rapidly re-adjusts itself... The real problems are in the areas of craving and lack of control...

Comment

Working...
                            X