Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is CORNED BEEF and CABBAGE really IRISH ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those recipes sound so yummy..Mar can you please come over and cook them up for me....I truly suck in the ktichen
    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I'm a vegetarian and I don't drink so I don't worry about much of this. But I do make a good soda bread. Where did that come from? I have to admit I miss a good glass of Guiness with my soda bread every year. Oh well.

I totally love elves. I do believe in them. I had a very hard decision to make years ago on whether to get my PhD in folklore or in science. I had studied and worked in traditional studies for years also. I love this stuff and still dabble in it from time to time. It is fascinating to me.

Elves are fascinating to me. They always have been. They are not good little muchkins who make shoes. They are souls who have been kidnapped by the spirits. They are mischievous at the least. They can be vengeful against those with human lives and downright evil at times. They tend to crave the human life and often spend much of their time trying to regain their human lives. Often sympathetic creatures. But not often likeable. Very interesting. If I'm getting too intellectual here again, just hit me on the head. Wham!

St Patrick's Day always makes me think so much of the elves. (BTW I hate the people who just get drunk and throw up in the street - it is somewhat of a sacred day to me). I never posted a music video before, but I am posting two.

Tam Lin is one of the most famous and popular English traditional songs. It is the story of an elf. The first video is not so good vocally, but has nice graphics. The second has no graphics, but is sung by the Queen of British Folk Music, Sandy Denny. She is one of my all time favorite singers and her version is considered the penultimate vocal version of Tam Lin. I hope I don't bore you. I hope you enjoy them. Welcome to the world of elves.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5JMuURuLMc[/video]]
      Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Hey Mags,
        I'm not into the elves, but I do love folklore. One of the best classes I took in grad school was on folkloristic anthropology, taught by a Nigerian professor. I love cultural anthropology, especially involving food, and would love to pursue those studies further. Probably never will happen though, and still trying to find marketable work, instead of pie in the sky.

You could always do a Kaliber (NA beer, made by Guinness -- one of the better AF "beers") with your soda bread. I love soda bread, too!

ps - probably should have PM'ed; hope I'm not boring everyone else.

Comment

Screw the Corn Beef and Cabbage......" Where's me gold ! " IAD
          ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
          those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
          Dr. Seuss

Comment

Kaliber is pretty good. I may have one. Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

I'm sorry, but the second link didn't go in as a hyperlink. But you can can cut and past it to your browser. It is fantastic. The fiddler is Dave Swarbrick, my favorite. He left Fairport soon after Sandy died. I can't remember the dummer's name but he is also fantastic and he also left soon after Sandy tragically died. Listen if you wish.

Comment

IAD;569682 wrote: Screw the Corn Beef and Cabbage......" Where's me gold ! " IAD
                Thanks Iad for that very grat resemblance to our leprechauns! Ezzmae yes I agree with you I never had cornbeef on Paddys day although I have a friend in Cork and that was their tradition so I guess it depended what part of the country one lived in. Mags dident get a chance to listen to ur music as I am in work could cause a bit of a stir...... I loved your spiel on elves sounds good, what an interesting Phd to do m........ I guess all u guys are asleep now while I slave away here. Talk soon Luv

Comment

irish eyes;569759 wrote: Thanks Iad for that very grat resemblance to our leprechauns! Ezzmae yes I agree with you I never had cornbeef on Paddys day although I have a friend in Cork and that was their tradition so I guess it depended what part of the country one lived in. Mags dident get a chance to listen to ur music as I am in work could cause a bit of a stir...... I loved your spiel on elves sounds good, what an interesting Phd to do m........ I guess all u guys are asleep now while I slave away here. Talk soon Luv
                  Dear Irish, How about if I will meet you at the downtown Cork market place and see what we can find for Dinner...as long as you don't bring IADs scary leprechaun along for the ride....He is SURELY a creature of my nightmares !!!
                  sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

:toasted:regarding leprechauns i think i seen a few wen i had a few:H

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                    I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Mario.....I bet you saw a few of these too ! Ha! IAD.
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

IAD my Pal, I still do see pink elephants...even completely sober..
                        BUT you must consider that I have always been accused of looking at the world thru ROSE COLORED GLASSES....LOL
                        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

mario;569971 wrote: :toasted:regarding leprechauns i think i seen a few wen i had a few:H
                          Me too Mario- as I said previously they appear to be very common in Dublin!:H

Comment

Evie.Lou;569827 wrote: Dear Irish, How about if I will meet you at the downtown Cork market place and see what we can find for Dinner...as long as you don't bring IADs scary leprechaun along for the ride....He is SURELY a creature of my nightmares !!!
                            Evie it is a date!

Comment

Working...
                            X