Natasha Richardson

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natasha Richardson

To be honest, I had never even heard of the woman until yesterday. So I know nothing about her. From what I have read, I'm sure it is a tragic loss. Every skiing loss is.

But being a very frequent skier I can say that anyone that skies without a helmet is foolish beyond belief. I am not minimizing the tragedy here. But many skiers die every year because they don't want to mess up their hair or whatever with a helmet. Same thing with Sonny Bono. I have many ski patrol friends who will back me up on this. So many lives are lost every year because people don't wear helmets. Skiing without a helmet is like driving a car without a seat belt.

That ski instructor should be blamed in part for letting her on that slope without a helmet.

I have fallen many times and hit my head. But I never go up the mountain without a helmet and neither does my son.

I'm sorry to sound harsh. National Ski Patrol says few people who wear a helmet dies.

I don't want to sound harsh here. Just a warning to all you skiers and boarders out there. I wonder why the press isn't talking about this more.
    Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Natasha Richardson

Jude that is a sad story.

Mags, very wise words. She was on the bunny slope, so probably felt she didn't need it.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Natasha Richardson

I put on my seat belts when I drive 1/2 block to the deli. It is really the same thing
        Rest in Peace, Bear. We miss you.

Comment

Natasha Richardson

DARN! I just wrote a post and lost it! Anyway Natasha was Joely Richardson's sister, she plays the Dr's wife on Nip/Tuck

About helmets, now it is being considered and enforced in some places for children under 14 to wear helmets. That's good, then they grow up with them. For me, I am sorry, I have to ride my bike and surf without a helmet. But if I had grown up that way.....?

BUT that was the first thing I thought of: "Was she wearing a helmet?"

I really admired her and thought her a beautiful woman. Such a loss for her family.

Comment

Natasha Richardson

A truly beautiful shining being that this world will not have to cherish anymore. So Sad...

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Natasha Richardson

Mags and all,

It never occurred to me to wear a helmet. I started skiing when I was 11, and no one except racers wore helmets then. With snowboarding, I have seen many more people in helmets. I have never fallen on my head while skiing, thank goodness. At 53, I make it a big priority to remain standing, because getting up is difficult enough, never mind hitting my head.

After what happened to Natasha Richardson on a beginner slope, believe me, a helmet is going to be my next purchase before I hit the slopes again. I have been very fortunate. It is clear that this has not been emphasized nearly enough. I am one of those who hate to mess up my hair and have worn earmuffs rather than a hat, but what the heck is vanity next to your freaking life?

Love,

A newly educated YAH
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Working...
              X