Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Letting Go of Perfection

Letting Go of Perfection

It is good to remember that one of our goals in life is to not be perfect. We often lose track of this aspiration. When we make mistakes, we think that we are failing or not measuring up. But if life is about experimenting, experiencing, and learning, then to be imperfect is a prerequisite. Life becomes much more interesting once we let go of our quest for perfection and aspire for imperfection instead.

This doesn?t mean that we don?t strive to be our best. We simply accept that there is no such thing as perfection?especially in life. All living things are in a ceaseless state of movement. Even as you read this, your hair is growing, your cells are dying and being reborn, and your blood is moving through your veins. Your life changes more than it stays the same. Perfection may happen in a moment, but it will not last because it is an impermanent state. Trying to hold on to perfection or forcing it to happen causes frustration and unhappiness.

In spite of this, many of us are in the habit of trying to be perfect. One way to nudge ourselves out of this tendency is to look at our lives and notice that no one is judging us to see whether or not we are perfect. Sometimes, perfectionism is a holdover from our childhood?an ideal we inherited from a demanding parent. We are adults now, and we can choose to let go of the need to perform for someone else?s approval. Similarly, we can choose to experience the universe as a loving place where we are free to be imperfect. Once we realize this, we can begin to take ourselves less seriously and have more fun. Imperfection is inherent to being human. By embracing your imperfections, you embrace yourself.

- Daily OM
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Letting Go of Perfection

I love it! Thanks for sharing. I, so, needed to read this today. xoxo

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Thanks DB! Hub has been my best teacher, regarding this issue:

"When perfection of self is our expectation, we set ourselves up to fail, everyday"

:l:h:l
      "It wasn't all I wanted, but all I could stand!":bigwink: Alcohol free since April 8, 2008

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Your Hub sounds amazing Best!!
        "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

DEEBEE, funny you post this. ive been thinking about it a lot the last few days, i have also found that i dont care as much what others think of me now. i am letting go of the Genetic predisposition of being 'perfect' i guess im perfect in my own eyes. and thats enough.

thank you for the read.. very touching..

karlo

an alcoholic is someone you don't like, that drinks as much as you do

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Great post Bee. x
            To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Such great words. Thanks for sharing that.

Mrs D x
              AF since Sunday 27th June 2010
              One Day At A Time

Trying to be the best mother, daughter and friend that I can be.

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

They're great some of those daily inspirations from the OM site Dee. I still have the site bookmarked myself and look in every now and again. I think it was yourself who brought it to my attention here at MWO quite some months back. Thanks again.

Love and Happiness
                Hippie
                xx
                "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

I'm not always in the "mood" to read them daily Hipps, but this one really struck a cord with me -- pleased you enjoyed:-)

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

DB,

I know this is a hijack, but considering my struggles against AL lately, the horoscope of that website was amazing!!

March 19, 2009
                    Sensitive To Consequence
                    Sagittarius Daily Horoscope
                    Whims can influence your decisions today without your realizing why you feel drawn to certain alternatives. Because you may be in an impulsive mood, you may feel driven to zero in on those choices that seem most exciting or rewarding in the short term when you should be thinking about your future. You can combat this rashness by reminding yourself of the role cause and effect plays in your life. The consequences of the decisions you make may not always be immediately clear, but you may find that the hypotheses you conceive of when mulling over the months and years ahead are more often than not spot on.

When we accept that the choices we make in the present can have dire consequences on the manner in which our lives unfold in the future, we are less likely to allow our whims to dictate our decisions. We want to achieve success, and we consequently have no trouble thinking our circumstances through before reacting to them. However much we want to allow our emotions to control our actions in heated or stressful situations, we know that this can lead to a dangerous degree of impulsiveness. It is thus that we prefer to think of our concerns in terms of how they will impact our personal development and the evolution of our avocations. The strength of our resolve helps us to overcome the temporary appeal of recklessness. The urges prompting you to make sudden decisions will dissipate today as you consider how the present impacts the future.
                    Thanks for pointing to that website, today the "whim" to read a horoscope, which I seldom do, led me to read something that will change my day. Hopefully for the better!!

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Hi Dee! Like yourself I don't check in daily but certain things strike a certain chord with me too. That tends to resonate something inside of me and, like Cindi, it is usually enough to make me think more conscientiously about my thoughts/feelings these days.

Hi Cindi I hope your day gets better and better too.:l

Love Hips
                      xxxx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Perfection is in itself imperfection!

As a great philosopher once said!

This was a wonderful post DeeBee. So very true, but so easy to forget, and it is good to be reminded in such an eloquent way.

Moo
                        "The greatest thing in the world is not so much where we are,
                        but in what direction we are moving."

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Thank you!
                          I will try, now on, to remember this every day.
                          Lavande
                          AF since 03/26/09
                          NF since 05/19/09
                          Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

Thanks DeeBee, I have always worried too much about what other people think of me and comparing myself all the time, my brothers and sisters included, as my mum said to me the other day, life is not a competition and I will develop my own character no matter how flawed others may think it to be
                            xx
                            There will come a time when you believe everything is finished. That will be the beginning.

Comment

Letting Go of Perfection

i never wanted perfection...i like things messy...but this is a great post filled with wisdom dee!

Comment

Working...
                              X