anyone pregnant after becoming sober?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

we are really considering havong another child (have an 11 year old). if we do it, we have to hurry because i am 37 and my husband is 48.
    i feel like i can do it and think it will help my sobriety...i never drank during my 1st pregnancy.

what are everyone's thoughts or experiences?

peace

well I wouldnt do it just to make me sober....

Comment

probably wouldn't work would it!

i'm just wondering about people's experiences with pregnancy after sobriety...

Comment

I never had a problem NOT drinking while pregnant. It was after my last one that my drinking became worse.

I don't think that a baby will make one sober.... or remain sober. I have seen a lot of that here where there have been a couple of woman who are/were trying to get pregnant because they thought it would give them a reason to be sober. If you talk to other mom's here, you will know; as you probably already know, that the problem will still be there after the fact.

I love babies. I would love to have another myself. Good luck for whatever you decide.

Comment

I never drank during both my 2 childrens pregnancies. I decided to try to get sober before conceiving. I have been trying to conceive for a few months now. I recently had an early stage miscarriage. Who knows why? I am 33 but maybe the drinking over the years has affected my fertility, maybe the IUD I had affected my fertility or maybe I just exercise too much. Or maybe it was just bad luck. I am going to give myself until the end of the year to conceive, if not I will move on with my life. Good luck.

Comment

i want to be clear that i am not having a baby to remain sober...i am doing that anyway...I WANT TO BE SOBER...i wouldn't expect a baby to make me magically cured of addictive tendancies!!!!

ezz, sorry to hear that...i'm going to try for 6 months and if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.
            peace!

Comment

I would get some time of sobriety under the belt before taking this huge step. Give you mind and body time to adjust and then decide. It can take months for us to get back to some kind of normal living.
              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

I'm with the Welshman.

Comment

Peace....you sound as if you are doing well and I never drank during pregnancy....If you are solid in your relationship with your hub than I say GO FOR IT. Only you know when you are ready for that decision and I think you can answer that question.....
                  All I have to say is.........Make sure the marriage is secure......then have at it Peace.....You are probably due for another snow storm....I am guessing you are from WE NE from your last pm. Maybe there will be another snow storm and what better way to spend the time!
                  Finally Free

Comment

Peacenik, this may or may not answer your question. I first found MWO in Dec. of 2005. I then found out I was pregnant in Jan. 2006. I drank a little bit while pregnant; not in the early months because I really did not want to; it didn't appeal to me at all. Later on, I might have a beer here, a glass of wine there, but NEVER overdid it, and it wasn't even an issue.

But I agree with the other posts -- you already know because you have one child. If you want to have a baby, do it because you want to have a baby. Leave the sobriety issue out of it. Because once you are done being pregnant, the old issues will rear their ugly head anyway, and you'll have to deal with them then.

BTW, I was 40 (2 weeks after my 40th birthday!) when I found out I was pregnant. My son is now 2 1/2 and cute and smart as a bug.

Comment

Just a little thought from experience. I think the two --- alcohol struggles and having a baby can actually fuel each other. Just be careful. This little life fully depends on you, as you know. I was not "sure" if I had an alcohol problem before my last pregnancy, and when pregnant, all things I enjoy then become sickening... such as coffee, wine, pasta..

So I thought that because I did not desire to drink while pregnant, I was cured. Wrong. Having a new baby is wonderful, but as you know, stressful and a glass of wine when they go to sleep is more appealing than ever. Just be aware that having a baby could cause you to struggle even more in the long run if you have not really dealt with it.

Sounds like you are thinking this through really well and wishing you the best at whatever you decide!
                      If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Hurry up! What are you waiting for?!:yougo::dancin:
                        sigpic

Comment

thanks for the input all...i plan on staying sober forever, no matter if there is a new baby in our lives or not. i promised myself, my daughter and my husband that i would never drink again, and i mean it.

only me and my family can answer this question, that is true...i was curious about other people's experiences. thanks for sharing them!

red, yep...i live in a tiny town near chadron (if you know where that is!!!)

peace~

Comment

hula...i didn't even want to have children, but i think getting older is making me realize that i do want to have more than one and i want her to have soemone she can relate to when they are grown...also my husband really wants a baby...as do i now!

i'll go get on it (or him)!

peace`

Comment

you can do it.

peacenik;579976 wrote: we are really considering havong another child (have an 11 year old). if we do it, we have to hurry because i am 37 and my husband is 48.
                              i feel like i can do it and think it will help my sobriety...i never drank during my 1st pregnancy.

what are everyone's thoughts or experiences?

peace
                              peace, i love your piggy avatar.. reminds me of my Olive.. (party poodle)..

37 is not old, yet a perfect age to have A baby, although, i have no idea if preggers can reverse alcohol habits? So, you do have a perfect wondering question .. ?????

QUES... do you think you drink alot?

do you think YOU may drink during this preggers?

what if you do?

i wish you best, hurry up and find out .. OCTO has 8 she does not deserve!!!

Love ya .. Ripples. :l:l

Comment

Working...
                              X