Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cravings returning

Starts,

I too just found this post! Glad to see you are beatin down the beast. I only have a little over 2 mounths in but sometimes I think I'm "cured" Maybe the random cravings are a way to remind us, we're never cured and must always be on guard to a certain extent.

Thank you for this post.
    AF since 7/26/2009

"There is nothing noble in being superior to other man. The true nobility is being superior to your previous self."--Hindu proverb.

"Sobriety isn't a landing but rather a journey." anonymous

Comment

Cravings returning

I think we need to be aware of The Beast's ability to place drinking thoughts into our minds long after we have quit drinking. I've accepted the fact that The Beast will always be living with me. It's up to me to decide how he is going to live. I can acknowledge his drinking thoughts and cravings one of two ways. I can allow The Beast to trick me into having "just one" (like I could ever have just one) and find myself back to my old ways and back to day 1......OR I can acknowledge these Beast Thoughts and very calmly say I will not step back into the ring with you, Beast. I'm done fighting. There is no battle. I can visualise The Beast being dejected and down in the dumps because he knows I'm serious and his trick has failed. I then visualise him getting back in his hole and me slamming the lid shut....

I still take l-glut (1000mg 2-3 times a day, gaba, vitamin/mineral supps during the day and 3mg melatonin and calm fortes at night. I also make myself do some form of exercise everyday. I really like running and think it's a big part of my success.

I drank for 30 years so it's going to take awhile before these out of nowhere thoughts/cravings go away. But even if they are always there, once you learn to think about your thinking, you will be able to immediately identify Beast Thoughts and put him in his place with a slight chuckle. I find myself sometimes saying..."nice try, Beast....nice try. Now get your sorry ass back in your hole...."

Don

Comment

Cravings returning

Thanks Lil and Don,

Don, I am back on the lglut, kudzu and all one. I have been running again for the last 4 weeks too. All these are tools in my arsenal and like you I refuse to get back in the ring with him. I wasnt so much tempted to drink as miserable because I wanted to. I guess now I know these random thoughts can and will come from time to time, I can be more ready mentally for them. I have been very lucky that after the first month or so, my cravings have been minimal, so having them so acutely this weekend kind of caught me off guard.
        It would never be "just one" for me either, I know that and am not willing to risk it.
        I will try the visualisation too, thank you.
        Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
        Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Working...
        X