The Next day Thread Wed 1st April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tawny, are you just clearing or is this wood you will use for winter. I have yet to order mine this year.

I wanted to do a 1 year post-graduate degree and it was $24. Crazy money when considering that after 5 years of studying my starting wage would be around $50k per year and that was only if I was lucky to get a job as so many people I know struggle to find work as school teachers over here.

Comment

Angel - no - not yet. AFter I completely emptied it I was hoping to find the reason why it dropped so much in volume - like a tree root poking through it or a tear in the old liner - but all looks ok. So I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a new liner but that will set me back a fair few $$$. A bit more googling to do to get the best price. In the meantime, the fish are still in temporary accommodation and so far there are NO floaters. Yay!!!!!

Comment

Sorry BH and Ezz - cross posted.

The wood is for my winter use and it feels really nice to have a good stack in reserve.

I think it's just bloody tragic that we have to cough up so much for degrees. Rags is right. Whitlam introduced free Uni but successive governments HEX'd it and generally buggered it up.

Comment

Oh, the pond liner sounds like a bummer...maybe the water was evaporating??
          I can imagine it would be a lovely feeling to know you won't run outa wood...I wish we had an open fire...

Boozy, you're right so if you know anyone who needs something made send them my way!!

Comment

It is best to get educated while your parents or the government are paying! University is free in Ireland. Tawny - I just love fires. I am a major pyromaniac I have to light one everywhere I go. I have 3 fireplaces in my house. Cant wait for winter so I can light them up!
            I am off to oztralia tomorrow for the weekend - whats the weather like in Sydney anyone know.
            BH

Comment

Angel
              I sure will but my fashion style is the Warehouse or Shantons! You know my friend (another angela) that I told you about - she just gave me three most beautiful tops to wear for my new job. I feel dead posh when I am wearing them. I feel so grown up! Bout time too.
              BH

Comment

BH - I am pretty sure that free uni in Ireland is over. I did get the free uni education there a long time ago. Like a lot of others for me heading to uni was easier than getting a job and so many people ended up with degrees that they couldn't get a job for. But in Ireland you had to do 4 years full study to get a degree while the same degree was only 3 years elsewhere. Could never understand it.

We order our wood in, costs around $450 for 2 tonnes. It last all winter but I think gas would be cheaper. We have 4 fireplaces but we converted one to a slow burner and that it the only one we use. Lucky for us we have a small weatherboard cottage and heating it with one fireplace is easy.

Comment

Hey Zenny
                  Howzit. Turf we call it. I love a turf fire. How is it going with the topa have you tapered down now?
                  BH

Comment

hey Ezzie
                    Believe it or not it is still free in Ireland but of course it is soooo competitive. Especially now with the recession an all. Everyone will have to go to Uni as there are no jobs! My niece went to college in Oireland 2/3 years ago and I tell you my sister talked about nothing else but the various points and the whole system of which one you could get into for about 6 months. I tell you you'd need a degree just to get into a college over there. Any gobshite can get in here! I dont understand why they make it so hard and so long over there as there is no difference really between an Irish accountant and a Kiwi one (who can qualify in 4 yrs) - other than personality!! Nuff said.
                    BH

Comment

Boozy - what are you doing in Straya?? I'm jealous...

Ezz - a small weatherboard cottage with 4 fireplaces...sounds so nice...again, I'm jealous...

Comment

That about killling themselves with education. I left 10 years ago and even then it was a struggle to get a job in Ireland with your new degree. Most of my classmates worked in shops and bars. Now I imagine it is worse. My cousin has been sitting at home for almost a year now with her new degree, claims she can't even get a job in a shop anymore. My brothers reckon that only for the fact that no-one can sell their houses, they and all their friends would be running over here.

Comment

Going to see my sister and her kids. She is in Seaforth just up from Manly. But dont be too jealous as there will be 3 kids under 5 and my parents are there visiting too! So it will be mayhem no doubt! Oh and she has a nanny to look after the kids while she works but the nanny is absolutely mental and she also looks after another child at my sisters house to share the nanny costs. So there will the mad nanny (and probably her boyfriend who broke both his ankles jumping off his mother's balcony!) 4 kids under 5, my sister, her husband, my parents and me! What am I thinking! Someone shoot me quick.....
                          BH

Comment

Angel - there are days I dream of living in a modern 4 bed 2 bathroom house with all the mod cons.

Comment

Ezzie
                              Yes Irish people are totally over educated and fat lot of good it did us! No wonder we are all alcoholics. (that doesnt even make sense does it!). Yes it is terrible about the recesssion isnt it. The celtic tiger is dead and buried and now that my parents are over here spending up large it will plummet even further!
                              BH

Comment

Hey Zen
                                I will report back if I survive it. The sister can get a bit stressed at times as she likes to do the perfect mother thing. I was looking after the kids recently when they came over here and we were sitting on the couch watching tv when she came in. It was an Australian program called Bondi surf patrol or something. She looked at the tv then at the kids then at me and said in a disapproving voice "do you really think that is suitable for the children". I was like WTF it is surf patrol for god sake not the texas chainsaw massacre. Anyway she turned it off and they screamed their little heads off (and so did I)!! So now you see what I am up against!
                                Anyways are you going to come off the meds altogether or are you just lowering the dose. Did you have bad side effects or anything?
                                BH

Comment

Working...
                                X