KEEPERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KEEPERS

I wanted to share this with you all, especially today.

Their marriage was good, their dreams focused. Their best friends lived barely a wave away. I can see them now; Dad in trousers, work shirt, and a hat; and Mom in a house dress, lawn mower in one hand, and dishtowel in the other. It was the time for fixing things: a curtain rod, the kitchen radio, screen door, the oven door, the hem in a dress. Things we keep.

It was a way of life, and sometimes it made me crazy. All that re-fixing, re-heating leftovers, renewing; I wanted just once to be wasteful. Waste meant affluence. Throwing things away meant you knew there'd always be more.

But when my mother died, and I was standing in that clear morning light in the warmth of the hospital room, I was struck with the pain of learning that sometimes there isn't anymore.

Sometimes, what we care about most gets all used uup, and goes away.....never to return. So....While we have it, it's best we love it....And care for it....And fix it when it's broken...And heal it when it's sick.

This is true: For marriage...And old cars...And children with bad report cards...Dogs and cats with bad hips...And aging parents...And grandparents. We keep them because they are worth it, because we are worth it. Some things we keep, like a best friend that moved away, or a classmate we grew up with.

There are just some things that make life important, like people who are special, and so we keep them close.

I received this from someone who thinks I am a 'keeper', so I've sent it to the people I think of in the same way...Now, it's your turn to send this to those people that are 'keepers' in your life. Good friends and family are like stars; you don't always see them but you always know they are always there!

I hope this makes you think of someone you need to reach out to today. I have made many new 'keepers' since coming to MWO. Love and Peace to you!
    Ruby:l
    sigpic
    Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
    awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

KEEPERS

Thats beautiful Rubes and so very true.
    Thank you for posting it, I am going to pass it on....
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanks for posting this Ruby! It makes a person really stop and think about the important things.

Comment

KEEPERS

thank you ruby .. love it and makes me think of so many here there and everywhere
        :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
        best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

KEEPERS

Ruby
          Thank you for a beautiful reflective piece.

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanx Ruby, I think you are definitely a "keeper" :l

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanks Ruby..........I hope I'm not under size....anyway my wife thanks I'm a keeper ! ha! IAD. ( See that citation menow I caught ! ha! ) IAD.
              ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
              those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
              Dr. Seuss

Comment

KEEPERS

great post Ruby and so true.
                Starting over again
                ray:

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanks, everyone. IAD's, your wife may throw you back yet! LOL
                  sigpic
                  awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanks SOOO MUCH, That was Very TOUCHING RUBES !!!!!!!!!!
                    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

KEEPERS

Thanks Ruby that really hit me hard. It is so so true and may be too late for me to Hold on to my husband since he has had it with my drinking. Do I dare send him a copy of this?

Comment

KEEPERS

Winefree, it might help open the door to communicating with him, showing him you are really trying. I thought so many times my husband was finished, but he's still here, and now that I've been sober so long, the same things that annoyed me BEFORE I drank STILL annoy me about him! LOL Give it a try. I'm pulling for you!
                        sigpic

Comment

KEEPERS

Rubes, I just caught this post . . .

Sometimes I feel like such a big fat baby . . . read your post OMG here I go again with the blubbering :upset: tears rolling down my cheeks.

Thank You RubyWillow for your Special and Wonderful post ~ it makes me appreciate every part of my life passed and present even more. WOW! :l

Comment

KEEPERS

:thanks: Ruby :h

Winefree, I'd go for it & send it to him...:l

My Hubby was ready to give up on me... more times than I remember...
                            (unfortunately, I'm sure he does)
                            Things are SOOO much better now.
                            Hang in there Hon.
                            The only thing worth stealing is a kiss...:flower: zwink:

Comment

KEEPERS

I sent this to someone dear today, because I've learned that two women who I've had decades of history with are losing their battles with breast and cervical cancer, and have, barring a miracle, weeks to live. I lost a very dear friend suddenly just recently. It's inevitable that our minds go back over our lives and relationships, our friendships, the laughter and tears, the times we toasted together or broke bread together, banded together to celebrate our children, or gathered together to bury our dead. This IS a reminder to do this today. Go to that person and reminesce NOW. I have a little time left for these old friends. Do you know how much time you have? :l
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X