The Next day thread Sunday 26th April

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ezz. Technically speaking, what if your kids had your surname? maybe they do, i don't know, but just a thought..........
    Betty, don't you know it's hard being a man, especially when shopping..............

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Betty, it would be nice to have the option to move back home if we wanted to. My husband and I both lived and worked in the UK for a while, still have immediate family there.

Just to explain the reason that it is important is that we have absolutely no family over here in Australia, we are both in our early 30s with young kids are we always said that if anything were to happen to either one of us or just anything in general we would go home with our kids. We consider home where our families live, Ireland and the UK. Anyway, there is nothing we can do about it. I am sure that if we did go home, there would be some way around it.

Comment

I see Ezz-check out the UK immigration website, I don't think all is lost.

And G- Mr Sweats LOVES shopping, he's just a bit obtuse at times....

Bxx
        Proud to be SLIGHTLY SLOVENLY.:wavin:

[/COLOR]

Comment

I am absolutely sure there is some way around this, Ezz. 'They' just don't give you all the info. By the way, out of interest, maybe contact Boozehag. She's Irish with kid's living in N.Z. I've no idea what nationality her partner is, but she may have been down that road, and may have some useful insight?

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Did I hear my name mentioned? Ezz seems like as long as your kids were born after 1983 they can claim UK citizenship via your UK citizenship as per comments below. There used to be a law in the UK that said a man is domiciled where he is born but women and imbeciles take the domicile of their father...... Can you believe that... woman and imbeciles.... I ask ya. Where the hell do they think men came from.... It has changed now as you'd expect seeing as women rule!

Also interesting to note that in times past the following were not allowed to immigrate to the UK idiots, imbeciles, morons, epileptics, beggars, etc.... I guess they already had enough of their own ... har de har just made that up...

Up until 2002 if you had a British father, you got a right to citizenship, but not if you had a British mother. In 2002, they changed that law, but only backdated it to 1961. At present, only children born on or after 1st January 1983 can automatically be British solely because of their mother's birth in the UK. There is a bill in progress to also include children born before that date but it is not law yet.

BH

Comment

Hi boozehag. I was born in 1975 in the UK. My children were born in Australia. We have thought about moving back to the UK or Ireland in the last few years, sometimes I feel bad about bringing the children up with no family around them.

When my daughter was born I contacted the Irish consulate in Perth who rudely pointed out that no1. I should not be ringing and no2 I was not irish, i was british. I think I will get the kids registered as irish citizens just in case we have to go back.

Just wanted to say that when i went for my first passport, my irish one which is now expired, I had to provide a copy of my mothers marriage certificate. I mean what did it matter whether she was married or not, she was still my mother.

Comment

boozehag;601160 wrote:
                Also interesting to note that in times past the following were not allowed to immigrate to the UK idiots, imbeciles, morons, epileptics, beggars, etc.... I guess they already had enough of their own ... har de har just made that up...

BH
                But you guys sent us here in the first place...hehe!

Comment

In the words of Spike Milligan - if a cat gives birth to kittnes in the oven does that make them biscuits. he said this when despite being a famous englishman (who was actually born in India) he was asked to swear allegiance to the queen to prove he was British... Your kids would be better off with Irish passports as if they are ever on a hijaked plane they will pick the americans and the english before they pick the irish - cos everyone loves the irish.... even hijakers!
                  BH

Comment

Working...
                  X