The difference between an Alcoholic and a Regular Drinker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

After being a MWO member for many months, I can now go into a social situation and easily pick out the difference between the AL and the Regular Drinker. I'm the AL, the rest of my buddys are the regular drinkers.

I can't stop with one. The Regular drinker, like my hubby and friends - can drink all nite, and not touch a drink the next day- or the day after for that matter. If I have one drink - I am back fighting for my life the next day, not to touch a drop. And it could be anything- Beer, wine, hard booze- what ever gets me high again to forget the hangover.
    Sorry if I am boring anyone- I guess it's better for me to write this down. So that the next time the "Beast" comes tapping on my shoulder, I will pull this post up, and review it to regain control of myself. I have had a couple of bad days in my 6 months on the journey of becoming AF , but since being a member of this elite group of wonderful friends, my journey is an easier one.
    :thanks:
    DLW
    Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
    And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
      Today is a Mystery
      Tomorrow is a GIFT

oh my,
    six months into your journey. I am so impressed and motivated. I totally feel like the one person you can point out...that you are making it (and you certainly seem on the road) was good to read. Easy to think it's just not worth trying.

Comment

dlw, you just never know when the post you make for yourself will make a difference to someone else. The one that for some reason speaks to them with the right words at the right time. Thanks.
      sigpic
      Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

dlw,
        I have often thought of many of my MWO postings as my journal regarding my relationship with alcohol. I hope others can learn from my journal, but often I just am clarifying my thoughts.
        My life is better without alcohol, since 9/1/12. My sobriety tool is the list at permalink 236 on the toolbox thread under monthly abstinance.

Comment

Hmmm, I read a book I really liked, that pointed out that regular drinkers were just the same.

They have the same reactions, and same response, and same pleasure from the alcohol.

It's just that their bodies and minds aren't quite as experienced, so they approach alcohol from an amateur perspective. Where my body developed a need, and my brain developed a drive and sneakiness about it, they just take a sip and then comment on the "taste". Imagine that, actually caring about the taste?

So the point is that everyone is pretty much the same, it's just that some of us are more (Ahem) educated, than the others.

And since I read that, I consider my AF time as a sort of post-graduate life. I like that thought.

Comment

dlw you are not boring anyone. Everything you write down is sure to help you and others as well. I know it helps me to write.

Six months mate! You are doing so great! Thanks for sharing.
            Feb 04 2009 80 days AF.
            AF May 23 09 to July 09
            AF December 16, 09 FORWARD.

Comment

Hi Everyone
              Dlw that was a great post & so apt for me my hubbie drinks but has never done the sneaky morning one even when he's feeling SH*** (ok other than fiz on Xmas morning!) I'm day 3 today & feel sooooo much better but went to bed @ 8pm last night as i only had 4 hrs sleep the night before there are so many triggers to my drinking: tiredness, illness, boredom, stress, anxiety, anger, resentment...............
              Hope you all have a great day
              Vogue

Comment

what you said makes a lot of sence to me,i never could stop & forever getting up early the nxt day & drinking when everybody else would be nursing there hangovers or whatever,

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi All
                  I was just talking to my wife yesterday about alcoholics [which I am one] and "normal" drinkers.When we were younger my wife used to drink but not the way I did. She could enjoy a glass of wine and that was that. I on the other hand could not stop drinking after the first.
                  I asked her how many times she was drunk this past year and she looked at me surprised and said none.I then asked in the past 3 years again none in the past 5 years maybe 1 she said. I know a lot of people who can say they probably haven't been drunk more than 10 times in their lives.I am talking about people in their 50.Looking at my self and drinking.I was drunk more in one month than most "normal" drinkers were in a lifetime. I tied one on last night was part of my daily talk with my drinking buddies.We thought nothing of it.Well the many times I tried to stop drinking I was happy with what I told myself was progress.I am only getting drunk a couple of times a week compared to almost every night.A couple 2 or 3 that is still 8 to 12 times a month, almost half the time.Is that really progress.Some will say yes but that is the thinking that stooped me from making the total commitment to stop drinking . It would always lead me back to the nightly drinking and getting drunk.Normal drinkers do not end up on this site. All of us here have a problem with alcohol. We have to look at it realistically if we are trying to be AF and have that goal in front of us.{Not like i did in the past being happy with only being drunk half the time .}That will not be the commitment need to beat this.
                  I am an alcoholic but a non drinker.That will be the only way I will be successful. Not relapsing once or twice a week and thinking that is progress.That is not normal.

Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08
                  Stay Healthy and Keep Fighting
                  AF 5-16-08

Comment

I grew up in an Alcoholic family and when I was a child my Mom (was the ala~teen leader) explained to me that Alcohol behaved differently in an alcoholics body just like sugar behaves differently in a diabetics body, then it does in the average person. I know that is an overly simplified explanation but it made sense to me then and still makes sense to me know.
                    sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Hi dlw,
                      You're doing so well. I'm so pleased for you.
                      I'm an alcoholic too. That's the thing I had to get through my thick head..... Not another drop!
                      I can't drink and I don't want to. I'm comfortable with the fact that I don't drink any more. It used to annoy me that I couldn't just go out and drink like most other people. Now I try and wear my sobriety like a comfy cardigan.

Comment

Your not boring anyone with your post, thats what this site is for..

What I hate most about drinking? The lack of self control and the feeling of not sure what events the night would hold.

I might go out for an evening with the sole intention of just having "one". Even while trying so hard to monitor myself, 99% of the time the night would lead to blackouts, falling, drunk driving, or even worse... Yes, it can get worse, sometimes I wonder how I am even still alive some of the stunts I pulled in my earlier years. Woke up in the ghetto one time, with not a clue how I got there, smashed car, well you get the picture. Only by the grace of God am I still on this planet and not six feet under somewhere.

Yes, the alcoholic always has that "unpredictable" factor. Never sure where its going to take you, but almost always takes you into Hell.
                        I LOVE MY SEROTONIN AND BOOZE SCREWS IT UP!!!!!

Comment

You have all made me feel much better with my post, thanks so much.
                          All together now " We can STAY AF as long as we are in control"
                          DLW
                          Sobriety since October 2008 ( with a few bumps in the road ) - but I am still here, strong and fighting every day for my sobriety!
                          And every day is a challenge - But I am WINNING so far!

• Yesterday is History
                            Today is a Mystery
                            Tomorrow is a GIFT

Comment

Working...
                          X