Glass is half filled mentality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just figured I would post my status. I took the month of April to see if I can go 30 days. I had 13 days then slipped for four but have been af for the last 12 days. So the way i look at it I have 25/29 days sober. First time I have been thinking with the glass is half filled (no pun intended) attitude. I am feeling ok today. Energy level gettting better but my sleeping is not good. I am also moving so i am under alot of stress. It is a friggin miracle I am keeping my head together and not drinking. I am just keeping things really simple and when I feel overwhelmed with life (which I do often during the day) I just try and fight the emotions which can be quite overwhelming. Thanks to the people who answered my post on my slip a few weeks ago.

Jackson,
    Glad to hear you are coping well!
    Miracle or not, you're doing well, keep it up. Your energy will continue to improve. As far as actual sleep goes, I think we all have to be patient, it will return at some point. Pat yourself on the back for a job well done And, keep distracting yourself when you feel a bit overwhelmed - works for me!!

Stay tuned in, we all think of you.
    Lavande
    AF since 03/26/09
    NF since 05/19/09
    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Jackson, swerving but getting back on track is great news! Keep your eyes on the goal, not the kinks in the road.

Something that has helped me a LOT the last two weeks is L-Theanine. It's a derivative of green tea. I've been down in the dumps for months because of the economy, and because my liquid escape has been banished. I got a diet book a couple weeks ago that suggested L-Theanine as a diet aid, to aid anxiety and hunger. It's said to be a 6-8 hour mood lift. Maybe it's just the season, but there's a new spring in my step, and I feel better about the problems that face me. Things that bothered me a couple weeks ago seem like now like the little weeds in my garden; Just something to pull up, then admire the total effect.

L-Theanine (Theanine) - User ratings & reviews - Revolution Health

I'm experienced on sleep issues, notably for the lack of it. From Nov 2005 until Nov 2008 I didn't sleep well. That's an understatement. Because of a long term cold, chronic nasal congestion, and other factors, my nose and throat would close when I lost conciousness. So for much of the period I slept essentially in 2-3 minute episodes without breathing, then woke to take a breath, and so on, for nights, weeks and months. Because of the short time of sleep I was unable to achieve REM sleep. I did wedges and sleeping in chairs, and was close to resigning myself to that victorian book image of an old person dozing upright in a chair in order to breath during sleep. Overall it was a searing experience. In 2008 I had two surgeries, one to enlarge my nose, and another to enlarge my throat. I've read a ton of books on sleep. I've learned a lot to help myself. I'm happy to say as of about January 2009 I can again sleep flat on my back, and in recent months my dreaming and sleep cycles are back close to normal.

Removing Alcohol helped my apnea, but gave me insomnia. I have a 30 year habit of going to bed drunk. That was a crutch that early on probably helped me relax, but over time it drove the apnea. Alcohol interrupts the process of normal sleep and restoration.

Exercise has helped a lot! I LOATH exercise, but I have to admit it does the most good. Our bodies are made for work as hunters and gatherers, and they were not made to live past age 40. So as we age past 40, we become sedentary and out of sync with a natural cycle. The lack of exercise causes our circadian rhythm to lose it's focus.

By acting like a young person, we can regain the cycles of a young person. That means getting outside to "hunt and gather" every day, not just walking but really moving enough to tire your muscles out. Tired means physically tired from exercise or physical labor, and also mentally tired from stretching your mind with new learning and new challenges. I've found that by focusing on my Japanese language studies. Any language will do, or any focused study that stretches your mental capacity and causes new synapses to be formed. The process of "learning" pushes your mind back into young-person mode, and gets it ready for sleep, which is a way of integrating the data learned that day. Muscles recovering and Mind recovering. That's what drives sleep, and if you want to do good sleep you need to do both.

I've also learned to re-make my evening ritual almost as if I was a child. Now I take a hot shower or bath early, then relax for an hour, brush teeth, floss (LOATH that too) and swish with the non-alcohol rinse. No more challenging TV or even murder mysteries. That would activate my mind, instead of letting it relax. Now I read biographies and histories. Some of them are interesting too, but hopefully in a musty old distant sort of way. Then I go to bed as my body is cooling. (something about the hot-to-cool helps sleep).

It still drives me nuts to go to bed sober. I truly fear that I'm wide awake and it's dark. I get a pit in my stomach like I'm in a job interview and I know I'm wrong for the job. Here I am in the dark in my bed and I don't "feel" like it's time to sleep. And then, all of a sudden, it's early morning and I realize I just slept for six hours, without apnea, without hearing the stupid train whistle and without breathing problems.

I don't sleep a full night yet, but I'm happy for the six hours, and can doze the early morning just fine.

I hope what works for me can help provide some ideas for others too.

Comment

Jackson,

Listen to Boss.man - what he says about sleep is so important & true!

I've developed my own 'sleep hygiene routine' and it is beginning to help. My sleep troubles started 13 years ago when those 'certain hormonal changes' kicked in. It was a killer for me. I suddenly went from a sound sleeper to a frantic, sleepless mess. That's also the time when I discovered what a horrendous snorer my husband can be.......... Come to think of it, that's really when my drinking habit appeared. I was looking for any way to just go into a coma and try to get some rest. Well, that didn't work
        At this point, I have to place myself as far away from the snorer as possible, avoid watching the violent TV shows he enjoys, turn the lights down, etc. to prepare for a half way decent night's sleep.

Do what you need to do to get some rest, it's vital to your health & recovery.
        AF since 03/26/09
        NF since 05/19/09
        Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

To Lavande and Bossman

Thanks for your advice. I am going to cut down on my caffeine intake. I think I am drinking too much of it. Feel very wired. It has to be the caffeine.

Comment

Working...
          X