• Show
Clear All

Anti Depressant Withdrawal.

Awwhh Deebers, thank you :l
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hi Starts I've had this dilemma too. I had clinical depression even before drinking and after taking ad's I started to feel better and wanted off them. My doctor told me I was feeling because of the ad's, but I weaned off anyway and the depression came back. Ad's are necessary for me.
      Enlightened by MWO

Comment

I just saw this post and haven't read thru it yet but my first thought was about something I read in a book a while back back that said SAMe is nature's PROZAC...it works in the same way but without the chemical's...so here's a Ebay site to order some if you can't get it in the UK. we can get it easily over here but not sure if Costco has it ??? or your local pharmacy ???
        SAMe SAM-e - Depression aid, Liver Joints 200 Capsules - eBay (item 220340595954 end time May-06-09 17:30:00 PDT)
        sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Thanks SK, I wondered if I had always been depressed, but I just dont really know as I have always either taken drugs or drank...so I want to give myself a chance to see the real me.
          If I do need to keep on them I will, but I am really hoping that now I have cleaned up my act in every sense I might be able to live without some form of chemical to keep me going.
          If its not to be then I can accept that too.

Comment

Thanks Evie. I think at the moment I shouldnt take anything that interferes with serotonin levels as I am still on a low dose of prozac. But I will definitely look into this, St Johns Wort or 5HTP if I continue to struggle once off these things.

Comment

Starting -- sadly I have had experience withy many ADs coming off is a matter of the mind the physical symptoms last only a few days ... I have found that a holistic approach is the way to go... I have explored 5HTP and have learned a new option from Lavande -- interestingly that product includes 5HTP...

I think back to when I have felt my best and it is simple -- when I am eating right and exercising... ask me if I am doing that right now? Nope... in a rut... it is a tough battle!

Lots of water, exercise, diet and you'll get through it...

Just a "tiny" bit of advice...
              Tiny

Comment

I have tried St. John's wort but didn't notice much difference...not sure that i was ever really depressed...just drunk ???
                As soon as I stopped AL my mood even it's self out pretty much...other than what I think is the normal ups and downs of life ???
                How does anyone really know what is normal...especially if you have used substances to numb yourself for along time ???
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Evie,

I think we all need to take a little time to determine which came first for each of us - the depression or the drinking!
                  I've had enough time to look back on it all and I now know that for me, first came a horrific case of anxiety (brought on by a severe hormonal imbalance), then the depression followed by the drinking.

While I was trying to get my doc's attention (to correct the hormone imbalance) I tried St. John's Wort but like you mentioned, it didn't do much. Many, many years and 2 different AD's later I settled on the herbal product I mentioned earlier today on this thread - Amoryn. It's a combinaion product including Hyperforin (St. John's Wort), 5-HTP, Rhodiola Rosea, B vitamins, D3 & Selenium. I've been on it for nearly 5 months now and feel great. I truly believe that this product in addition to the MWO CD's and community support have helped me reach my AF status of nearly 6 weeks.

It's sure worth a try
                  AF since 03/26/09
                  NF since 05/19/09
                  Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Hey Lavande 6 weeks is AMAZING!!! Well done!

Comment

Clean undies is the best advice for EVERY situation.

Comment

Only if one is very lucky...

Comment

Hi Startie
                          Just reading your post and I am really sorry that you are going through pain. As others have stated it is normal to feel below par when reducing or going off AD. Many people panic and think they are becoming depressed again and go back on their meds. Try for another week if you can and see how it goes. There is website 'The Road Back' I cant get the link on here, it might be useful. Be gentle with yourself.

Comment

Thanks Irish. I am going to check out that website now.
                            I must admit I am afraid of getting depressed again. But I will give it a chance.
                            Thank you.

Comment

Someone mentioned earlier in this thread, "don't take benzos." I've been thinking about that. I've been taking Klonopin (Clonazapam) every night for sleep. I'm starting to wonder how "hooked" I've gotten on that. I bought some Valerian today, and I'm going to try it tonight instead of the Klonopin. I tend to get anxious late at night, and the Klonopin has been a saving grace...But again, it's a dependency.
                              "When she enjoyed her drinking she couldn't control it, and when she controlled it, she couldn't enjoy it." (from The Big Book)

Comment

Hi Sara, check this site out that Irish mentioned..
                                I know what you mean about other dependencies, I too was dependent on opiates for years..
                                The Road Back

Comment

Working...
                                X