Re: Antibuse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a question. Has anyone tried antibuse or simi;ar tablets to try and stay off booze? I was thinking of asking my gp for some but i heard there can be side rffects like if you wear perfume of use any toiletries cosmetics that might contain alcohol. I've bin af for 15 days but the want of a drink comes into my mind every so often and i really am trying to live a life wothout drink. I'm new to this site and currently am attending AA meetings. Any advice welcome thanks.

:helpme:

Hiya Firefox, check out the meds forum here, there is lots of information about Antibuse and all the other meds used to treat addiction.
    Good luck!
    Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
    Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

Hey!
      I'm on antabuse and would recommend it to anyone who needs help not to drink.
      I took the first few doses as it states on the bottle which is 3 a day for 3 days but after that i took 1 a week and i have been sober for 57 days. I have had no side effects or problems at all. It's just been fantastic to know that i'm sober and have to stay sober no matter what. There have been days when i could have killed for a drink and got a bit upset that i couldn't but it's kept me sober. I have got my old self back, my life under control, a new job and i'm now a fantastic mum and wife.

As you know, you can not drink while on the midication. You really can't. It can be fatal. So unless you are 100% sure that you'll not try and drink, Take it. It also takes a FULL 2 weeks from the last tablet you take before you can drink again and if you try to do so before, it can again be fatal. There have been many deaths when people have drunk on this tablet.

However, It's a great way to stay sober!I would recommend it to anyone who needs help.

Comment

Thanks i will consider it Well done Muchelle for 57 day sober.

Comment

Good luck Firefox and well done on the 15 days, do you find aa good?

Comment

Hi Firefox,
            I also would recommend the antibuse, but like Lil Michelle it has to be completly out of you system to drink..I tried drinking 5 days after coming off the tablets and my whole body just turned into a big red rash, massive headache, and laboured breathing, i had to go on my sons inhaler for a few days, so take it very seriously..And best of luckl.
            I don't care who you are...Your not walking on water while i'm fishing..
            One drink is too many... A thousand is never enough...Sober since July 2nd 2009

Comment

Hi and thanks everyone. I have read the threads in ant-buse and other treatments. Not sure its for me but i'll consider it if my cravings for drink get too bad.

Comment

Yes i do finf AA good and very supportive. I tried quiting on my own but it never lasted long. Last time attending AA i was af for 5 months. Longest ever.

Comment

Working...
                X