The Dry Drunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Dry Drunk

This is an interesting thread. I guess I'm kind of a dry drunk because I don't really enjoy sobriety and have urges to drink. Still I think being a dry drunk is better than drinking for a lot of reasons. I can be miserable sober but at least I'm not putting myself at risk of car accidents/DUI's or serious health problems due to drinking.

Comment

The analogy of the druken horse thief. Lots of folks aren't concerned about the why's, how's or what's. Some stop and that's their normal. Their behaviour has dramatically changed from sobriety. Others have inner work, physical, emotional, mental issues. They may need to put a lot of effort in to find contented sobriety.

Some people have urges at 20 yrs. Alcohol is a big part of society. Many people have periods of urges and then none. Times of being content and not. That's life. Being sober is better all around, even if you don't think so 100% of the time. I'm trying not to over think this..

Comment

my dry dunk behaviour turned out to be an undiagnosed mental illness ie bipolar/add. That will do it every time.You can trust me on that one.

Comment

Thank you for sharing your mental illness was the cause, of your over drinking. This isn't the only definition of a dry drunk. It sounds like with the right meds, you no longer over drink. Am very happy for you!... But, there are plenty of people who have mental illness and are still alcoholics. It really can go both ways. Tho, in my experiences, have found most still have issues with alcohol and drugs.

Hope you continue to be well!...
          Last edited by Wildflowers; May 20, 2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Wow! This could be me. I had periods long ago of daily drinking then stopped. About 3 years ago I began a binge-- nothing thing-- I'd drink nothing for 3 or 3.5 weeks then drink from sun up to sun down for 4 or 5 days!! Then go through withdrawal, swear I'd never drink again and after 3 weeks-- just one became everything in sight. I'm now going to therapy and am visiting here to try to receive the support to confront the issues that led me back to bad behavior. I am incredibly productive when not drinking-- immaculate house, calendar perfect, Childs activities all met and long term plans made. This helped me for those days I was in a drink fugue but I realize that it's so nice to wake up in control, feeling ready to go. It is inexplicable why I'd slip back when I like that feeling of control. My therapist has said that drinking is controlled by the reptilian brain-- very rudimentary-- it remembers only the pleasure of the act-- not the pain-- and will keep trying to replicate that feeling long after the brain has ceased to be able to physiologically respond in the same way due to chemical changes that happened because of over drinking. Interesting and for me at least something to remember. I know I can go weeks without drinking so now my quest is to actually change the behavior and mindset so that those 4 or 5 days are not going to happen.

Comment

Thanks to the magnificent Cyrmu for the thread.

Tidegirl, i relate strongly to your post. When i came here, i was a hardcore 24/7 drinker. I soon stopped for 2.5 years, falling back into boozing in 2011 and struggling to put more than a few AF months together since. However, i'm not drinking as solidly as back then and have more time off the grog than on it these last few years. But like you describe, i have found myself in the annoying pattern of a few weeks, even 3/4 months sober, then bang, i'm drinking for maybe 3/4 days then i stop myself again and get back to life. So i'm kicking a few goals, but i'm not happy with the regular boozy interruptions i allow myself. I live in hope though, and am working on my thinking and thought management which gets me into this situation. Hangovers and lost days being numb are very overrated!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

What's the saying Guitarista? Progress not perfection? I figure I might be dead if I hadn't at least been able to get those sober periods in to help me heal. But the few times I've gone through withdrawal were disturbing-- diarrhea, fast beating heart, overwhelming anxiety and no sleep at all. The fear that even worse might happen really led me here. I feared seizures though realistically the chances were pretty low-- but to have withdrawal one does have to be drinking a good bit in a block and I really was. I turned 50 today and my father in law suffered a heart attack this morning-- he's okay but he just had open heart surgery and it seems his heart just isn't strong enough for the recovery and rehab process. Being sober is really important now especially to support my husband and my mother in law with her beginning dementia-- that in and of itself is extremely stressful and I'd give anything to escape it but it'd still be here regardless of the momentary escape-- that's what I keep telling myself at least. Good luck to you-- I hope we achieve all our goals!

Comment

Happy birthday Tide...you're giving yourself the best gift ever. Took me until 57 to realize it was just a momentary escape, and all too often ended badly. It's so good for you to be there completely, especially now. Let that great feeling lift you up. Good luck to you too birthday girl.
                  Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                  X