Clear All

Addiction: A Neurological Disorder

Interesting article.

Addiction as Disease
    Starting over again
    ray:

Interesting article.
    I'm forwarding it onto my parents who I know often think that my brother "could change if he wanted to"
    Thanks Last Call.
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Dee, it was scary for me being I'm on day 5 AF. I was going to do it on my own. I don't know why, it has never worked b4. Better start going to AA if I'm really serious. Take care.
      Starting over again
      ray:

Comment

Very interesting article, Last Call, especially since I'm approaching the 45-day mark next week, i.e.:

"It's precisely when the addict feels that his system is stabilizing that he is in the gravest danger. This usually occurs at about 45 days clean."

Great....just when I thought it was getting easier and I have it in the bag! I know that one should never feel overconfident, but I was just cozying up to feeling confident. Heehee, oh well!

Seriously, it's a great article, with plenty of good food for thought. Thank you so much for posting it.
        "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Check sources

While I do not question the idea that addictive behavior has neurological causes and/or implications, something just wasn't sitting right with me with this article. A few too many exclamation points and italicized phrases led me to question its professional validity (I am a college writing teacher so it's my job to sniff out suspicious phraseology). At the very end of the article, the author talks about God, and there is a link which says, "Click here for a miracle." That link takes you to another website, newjerusalem.com, which is all religious. If you go back to the original web source, medical-online.com, and go to the other 2 links -- they also both take you to newjerusalem.com.

I am by no means saying faith, God, Higher Powers or whatever do not have a place in recovery (from either mental or physical afflictions), but it should not be substituted for medicine. In other words, if I come across a website called Medical Online, I am looking for medical information, not spiritual, and it is very misleading for the website to use this title.

I do not mean to offend anyone, much less Last Call for posting it. I am just saying we need to be careful of what we read online, particularly with an issue as complicated and controversial as problem drinking or alcoholism.

Comment

CS04. Thanks for pointing that out to me. I never would have spotted it. What you say does make sense.
            Starting over again
            ray:

Comment

Very good research, folks. I think it would be a shame if actually valid studies were made 'incredulous' by tying in a religious aspect. I TRULY believe they both have a place, but should NOT be used together. I am spiritual, have been all the more than half century I've lived, but I have a wonderful neurologist too, who I have no need to talk to about my faith at this point. Keep up the good work. That's HOW we find the answer that works for us.
              sigpic
              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

It certainly is not a black and white issue. There are layers intertwined, to be sure.

Now, onto to those folks who find pictures of the Virgin Mary in their grilled cheese sandwiches!

(I don't mean to joke, as our issues with AL and how we solve them are quite serious. It just seems like these, er, prophets keep turning up more and more lately on the 5:00 news!)

Comment

Interesting article nevertheless. Definitely has an AA route. Whatever works to keep us AL free.......

Winefree

Comment

I don't think it's an AA route (though it does tout AA's success, which is statistically questionable). Again, nothing against AA -- I have been to AA meetings. Sorry, but the whole article really perturbed me.
                    Not judging, but just so we think and examine information, and where it comes from.

Comment

As far as i have read,Alcoholism is a progressive illness,we go through the three stages of social drinking,trouble drinking and merry go-round drinking,we land in hospitals & prisons,we eventually lose our homes,our families and our self respect,in my opinion there are only three ends to it, the morgue,insane asylum or total abstinence,as its being said here before, for the majority of abusers moderation is an unrealistic goal,merly wishful thinking on the abusers part.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Working...
                      X