What's with the red wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone else noticed the frequent mentions of daily bottle(s) of red wine by women members over 35 years old? Maybe it replaces estrogen. I wonder what is considered normal in France or Italy.

Red wine was tres evil in my life. Then Vodka. Then back to red wine.

I have noticed the same as you. A lot of us women drink/drank the red. I honestly think it is because it hits harder than white. I also find it tastes better than white for the most part. (If any alcohol really tastes good - not to me anyway.)

Comment

I personally think women drink red wine because wine in our culture is considered "classy". Yet, red wine is like AFM said...HARD. I started off drinking white wine, but it didn't take me long to realize that most red wines were stronger. Of course, I suppose it isn't to classy cussing folks out, falling about, stumbling...but hey I don't recall most of that...that is just what I have been told. And just like AFM...if i did drink liquor ...which was rare...it would be Vodka....
      Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Hi Lemonhead . . .

Hi Lemonhead, AccountableforMe, Britz and others to come . . .

Personally I have heard red wine is better than white - health wise ~ they mean in moderation - not by the bottle.

I too have wondered about the ppl. in France and Italy. I can't say I've seen any posts from either country but I have not been here that long.

The main reason I frequent this site is for support and encouragement to be a better me.

Best of the best to you and everyone . . .

Comment

I could easily drink a 1.5 litre of red wine in the course of an evening. I would black out and feel like crap the next day; but would repeat the next night. I did this for a year.

I certainly don't miss it. Or the expense.

Come to think about it, I haven't seen anyone from France or Italy post either. I had this book once called, 'French women don't get fat' or something to that effect. They drink a glass of red wine with every meal; including breakfast! OH MY WORD! But I guess it is part of their culture?

Gia, lived in Paris. She probably would know more than I when it came to alcoholic practices there, and if it was a problem. Or not, seeing she was preggers and spent most of her time alone....

I wonder what the stats are there?

Comment

Red wines, like red cars, go faster!

Comment

I switched to red to cut down my consumption because I liked the taste of Chardonnay better than the reds. Then, of course, I developed a taste for the reds. One of the true low points of my affair with AL was when I found myself calculating the number of calories in a bottle of red wine (I found the calorie count by the glass online and then had to multiply it by the number I usually drank in a day.) :toasted: And then, did LilBit fudge on the size of the glasses??? You bet I did!

Geez, the things we do.

Here's another fond memory with the red vino: I caught a glimpse of myself passing a public mirror once after consuming *a few* glasses of red wine. I had been walking in the wind and my hair was all mussed. My eyeliner had run. I had chapped lips, and the red stain was stuck to the chapped bits. I looked like a poster child from Night of the Living Dead. :shocked:
              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Started out with rose(years ago) then white for many years and eventually preferred the red.
                Of course after a while the alcohol content was important no matter what color it was

Comment

I drank red to help my heart even though I was killing my liver. Of course a half to one glass would have done the job, not four or five.
                  AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

What's my excuse then as a guy?

Am I trying to get in touch with my feminine side or something?????

I'm with accountable. It's my drink of choice as it hits me hard and hits me fast. Sad I know but true.

Hey Lilbit those red glass marks on the top lip were the ones that got me in the crap with the missus. Alright, the slurring didn't help either...... :-)
                    Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
                    (From Then Till Now).

Comment

Hey Lilbit those red glass marks on the top lip were the ones that got me in the crap with the missus.
                      Heehee, I'm glad the red lip marks aren't relegated to just my gender. You probably couldn't use the "I smeared my lipstick" excuse either. Bummer!
                      "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

LilBit;631749 wrote: I switched to red to cut down my consumption because I liked the taste of Chardonnay better than the reds. Then, of course, I developed a taste for the reds. One of the true low points of my affair with AL was when I found myself calculating the number of calories in a bottle of red wine (I found the calorie count by the glass online and then had to multiply it by the number I usually drank in a day.) :toasted: And then, did LilBit fudge on the size of the glasses??? You bet I did!

Geez, the things we do.

Here's another fond memory with the red vino: I caught a glimpse of myself passing a public mirror once after consuming *a few* glasses of red wine. I had been walking in the wind and my hair was all mussed. My eyeliner had run. I had chapped lips, and the red stain was stuck to the chapped bits. I looked like a poster child from Night of the Living Dead. :shocked:
                        :H Too funny! (I am not laughing at you; but definitely with you )

Comment

Oh, the red wine...definately my drug of choice.... It's interesting to hear that it's stronger than white. I just seem to be able to drink it down like water...the more I drink, the more I drink.... Can't have it around; all self control seems to vanish after that first sip.

Comment

I go both ways with the wine. I like white on a hot summer day, but will drink either, anytime - or rather, I USED TO. I hear you about those red lips and stained teeth, Lilbit!!!
                            At the conference I was at last week, one fellow told me he doesn't get as drunk as he used to because he had switched to drinking wine, and you can't really get drunk on wine, that "you have to be a real pig" to get drunk on wine. I just stared at him. Hmmmm..... I can get really drunk on wine!! Maybe you're just not drinking enough, or fast enough!!!
                            By the way, the smell of all the people drinking red wine (those full bottles of white on the table were making me crazy!!!) while I stayed AF was actually quite nauseating!!!
                            xoxo peanut

Comment

My wine of choice was always white. I enjoy red wine more, and can find myself actually 'enjoying' a nice bottle of red, but white i found easier to drink quickly, and I could drink more of it without being sick. Id always check the % on the back before I bought though.
                              To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Working...
                              X