brain healing after being sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

im curious i have depression from drinking. i know i had it slightly before drinking but it worsens when i drink. after a few days of not drinking i feel so much better-almost no depression. however i still feel like its a lil boring, not getting pleasure out of activities , wanting a drink. im curious, does this pass? i heard that with drugs and alcohol when a person becomes sober at first they might not be able to get much fun out of life and its bc of what alcohol did to the brain. but overtime this is supposed to go away.. anyone have experience with this and how long might it take?

Hi Me, I can't speak for everyone, but I am about 40 days AF now, and can tell you that the feelings of boredom, not getting pleasure out of activities, etc. did indeed begin to pass after the first week or so. Moreover, I now feel like I'm enjoying things much, much more than I did while drinking. There's no longer a constant urge to find or drink AL, my mind is consumed with better things, and I can truly focus on what I'm doing at the time. Makes a big diff!
    "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Hi Me, for me too, I worried that my life would be as dull as ditch water and not worth living without that buzz. I too had depression but I can honestly say, I am happier now than I have ever been, I am in control, I appreciate simple things, I actually do more than I did before. I am a much more sociable person than before. I have been sober for 11 months and this is a process, I started noticing differences pretty early on.
      Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
      Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

startingover;632228 wrote: I am in control.
        If you don't believe her, just look at how she's dressed! :H:H:H Sorry guys, couldn't resist!

Comment

LilBit;632235 wrote: If you don't believe her, just look at how she's dressed! :H:H:H Sorry guys, couldn't resist!
          :H:H:H
          Yeah well, its a nasty job but someones gotta do it!
          Living now and not just existing since 9th July 2008
          Nicotine Free since 6th February 2009

Comment

I showed Hubby her new Avatar and he said "is that a WHIP she's holding" ???
            Yes DEAR it's a "biker chick in a bikini wearing a dew rag and cracking a whip.........and YES we are having a MEET UP with her this summer.
            He walked away shaking his head and trembling in fear.
            I think she means it when she says "SHE'S IN CONTROL" !!!!!!!!.........lMFCTO !!!!
            sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Sorry we hijacked your thread, Me. 'Just having a bit of fun with Starts' new avatar, which I guess helps to prove the point that there's nothing dull about being AF.

Comment

me1455;632219 wrote: im curious i have depression from drinking. i know i had it slightly before drinking but it worsens when i drink. after a few days of not drinking i feel so much better-almost no depression. however i still feel like its a lil boring, not getting pleasure out of activities , wanting a drink. im curious, does this pass? i heard that with drugs and alcohol when a person becomes sober at first they might not be able to get much fun out of life and its bc of what alcohol did to the brain. but overtime this is supposed to go away.. anyone have experience with this and how long might it take?
                its common to have some form of depression after stopping. what is sobering - all the awful things we may have done drinking that makes us less cheerful? however, our brains are wired to us forever as our individual personalitys. i find me happy without drink, i think the initial findings of alcohol adding trouble to my every day living really made me know i had to give it up. i would say, the brain will return to a better place after time. depends on how much of a drinker one was.

An Improved Ripple. :monalisa:

Comment

Hi Me,

I remember feeling that I had as much personallity as a goldfish when I first went AF.... I can quite happily tell you that the moment passed. It's amazing how simple things give me joy now.

Be at peace with the process of life:-)

Hang in there, it does get better.
                  "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

Hi Me,

I think it's important for all of us to remember it took more than a few weeks to get ourselves in such shitty condition to begin with so it is going to take time to heal.

I prefer to think of it as getting a little better each & every day. Healing is a process and I am enjoying the new freedoms I find every day
                    AF since 03/26/09
                    NF since 05/19/09
                    Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Lavande, well said. the new freedoms are something we adapt to gradually.
                      Campral is something good for the brain in the beginning to reset chemicals damaged from drink. Campral i used for a period as it is calming and will help you to sleep in the start of sobriety. You will still be the same person minus alcohol, free at last. then the work begins, staying clean.

Comment

Zenstyle;632852 wrote: me... I'm really impatient for my brain to get back to "normal" (whatever that is) too. It's really been bugging me! I keep thinking I should be feeling better seeing as my consumption is waaay down from where it was and I've have all these AF days now. I take a heap of supplements to help heal it but it's not going fast enough for my liking either.

iirene... I've been researching campral the last couple of days to use it just like you described... to help heal the brain. How long did you take it for and what was your dosage? Thanks!
                        i cannot remember the pill mg, although i took (3) large white TABS a day for about 4 months. on starting i slept for like a week, during the day and nite. i was very relaxed and seemed back to myself after a good month. i continued on it, i know it for was at least 4-5 months, i tired of it, i had no energy whatsoever, so my doctor switched me to Topamax. never drank a drop of alcohol, although at times i wanted to. Campral certainly helped restore my brain back to my old self. i hope this helps. they say the longer a person has used booze, the longer it will take to get back to ones normal self. Today i still use Topamax and have drank alittle here and there, i am by far a drinker anymore.

:thanks:

Comment

Hey guys!
                          Im gona jump on the band wagon with this one, it's so cliche, but iot does improve with time, im only day 18 and at first I felt a bit vacant, like an empty emotionless shell, with the odd sprinkling of irritable grumpiness from craving al in there for good measure.

Like Irene, Im into Campral, 2 x 333mg 3 times daily. Its meant to work on your Central Nervous System and it gave me feelings of being content, not looking for a drink, though if you do have a drink on it it doesn't do it's job as well (bit like having a few fags while wearing a nicotine patch i s'pose!)

For me happiness is about confidence and after a little while, I feel I gain confidence in myself and start feeling thankful for all the little milestones I am making in my life AF and really do start enjoying myself!

Hope my experiences helps,
                          Love to you all xoxo
                          To see a world in a grain of sand
                          And a heaven in a wildflower.
                          Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                          And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Thanks for all your posts and glad your all doing well! Speak to you all soon

Comment

Working...
                            X