Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HOUSE SWAP

Hey,
    I was wondering if anyone has any experience or has done this? I am not referring to a permanent swap, but like a vacation swap for a week or two. I have been browsing some websites that specialize in this and people from all over the world can advertise their home in exchange. Anyway, I think it would be an amazing way to travel affordably as you would only have to pay the expense of getting there and back either by flight or car.

Anyhoo, we have some neighbors who just left for New England for the whole summer and they swapped houses with someone who wanted to come be at the beach for the summer. Both families are driving and are planning to meet half way and exchange keys, etc. I know it sounds nutty, but I love adventure and am fascinated with the idea as long as it was someone I felt I could trust.

Has anyone ever done this and if so, what was your experience? I am trying to find a dependable swap in New York City for a week in July and then somewhere exciting to go at Christmas.
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

HOUSE SWAP

I think that most of these swaps are successful. Trying swapping with someone who has done it before so they know the rules.
    Enlightened by MWO

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

I have done the swap but, with vacation homes. I would definitely have some sort of contract in place. (and lock up your valuables!)
      Sometimes I wonder...."Why is that frisbee getting bigger?"...and then it hits me.

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

Yes, I was sure there would have to be some sort of contract, almost like a lease agreement. Some of these websites seem to have already performed background checks. I just love the whole idea of free vacations (well, with the exception of the actual travel).

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

Hi Prest, I have only done condos that were vacation homes myself.

My husband has an ex-sister in law that wants us to swap with her for a week in winter, she lives in AZ. and we just can't let anyone sleep in our beds et. I know we are weird that way.

Sammys

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

I know some people who have done it and it went ok. I'm sure there are some bad stories for others, though. So long as your swappers would take care of your stuff as you would you should be ok.
            Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
            AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

There used to be a programme on TV which showed house swaps and it's always something I've wanted to try.... wanna come to SA anyone?? LOL you get to see the lions walk the city streets and the hippo's tanning on the beach.
              "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

DeeBee, I'll swap with you! I think I have become so facinated with the idea and all the places we could go.

I subscribe to "Travelzoo" which sends me updates every week on dirt cheap air fares to the craziest places...

If I booked a flight today, I could have flown to Cancun, Mexico and a host of other places for $49.00 each way. But the problem is... WHERE to stay? That is what eats you alive. The good side of these great air fares due to the economy is that although you may only have a small window of time to pay for your flight, you can use your dates for months to come.

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

I live close to Augusta Georgia where the Masters is held every year...MANY people there rent out their homes for the week to people that come in to watch golf. I have heard a couple of bad stories BUT most are very happy....
                  Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

Very interesting! Thanks Allie!

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

Come on over!
                      I wonder how cheap, "cheap" is for a flight to SA -- it will cost me an arm, a leg and an eye ball to fly to the States:-)
                      "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

I had a house that I intended to swap. It was a big house on a golf course in a ski area. I used HomeExchange.com. I felt better using a middleman. I got a lot of fantastic offers!! In the end, I sold the house, but had I not I would have definately followed through on the exchanges. I got offers from all sorts of beach locations, Paris, Italy, Greece. Why the hell did I sell the house???
                        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

I'd def be interested in swapping under the right conditions. My log cabin is practically in a National Forest, in a resort area, just 2 hours from Atlanta, Ga, and the Great Smokey Mountains. A very cool destination.
                          sigpic
                          Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                          awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

This has given me the impetus to look for good websites for trades. I NEED to travel, maybe need travel partners who can tolerate my dogs on this continent! LOL Let me know
                            sigpic
                            Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                            awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

HOUSE SWAP

Ruby, check out the website MM mentioned if you are seriously interested in doing that. You would probably get tons of offers of swaps if you listed your cabin. It's: www.homeExchange.com

Janie, I would consider it if you promise not to look in my messy closets!

Comment

Working...
                              X