Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MM checking in... xoxo

Hello, my dear friends!

I know I have been gone for a while, and believe me, it's felt like I have been gone for a while..

So much has changed, and most is very good! I have been working out a lot and have lost a total of 30 pounds since I started my weight loss 18 months ago. My daughter and I have bonded through her difficulties dealing with her first year of Middle School (and came out a star in the end!), and my business has been blessed to not only weather the recession but grow! My relationship with my guy in Seattle is still going on, and he is fabulous!

So, the downside? I still have not been able to string more than 90 days at time of sobriety. I seem to even keep it together during the week, but I am having one day a week where I drink too much. I know where this is going.. I will start drinking more during the week, probably hiding it, arranging my activities around it, being afraid of going out because my drinking may get out of control, etc., etc.

I am back because I really do not want this to escalate any further. I haven't had anything to drink since last Friday, and I am going day by day, but I want that to be the end of it. I am pulling out ALL the tools I have learned (which are MANY), along with my Buddhist teachings, and the combined self-compassion/meditation practices to get my arse back on the cushion and my fingers and heart back here!

I am a tough cookie to crack. I am the queen of self-sabbotage. But, I will be 45 this year and I really love the way I feel when I am sober. I have been able to string a lot of sober days together over the past year and a half since my divorce, but I have also had a lot of days that I am ashamed of. I have had a lot of challenges this past year, probably more than I have my whole life. The Universe is definitely pushing me to new heights. Most days I answer without fear, and then some days I cave. Funny, this morning I was thinking that I am so happy and outgoing during the day - all day. I am gregarious, engaging, compassionate, a good listener and a caring friend. I do this all without drinking (still have never drank during the day). I'm not afraid during the day. I don't need alcohol. I don't even think about alcohol. Now, isn't that telling. That is the real me, and it's OK! It is my evenings that I struggle. Is is habit? Am I lonely? An I scared at night? Is it because of my childhood and being left home alone my my mother at night (yeah, I know.. childhood crap), OR, is it just me being lazy?

Nonetheless, I want to take that lovely girl that flits through her days into the evenings and the rest of my life. So, here I am again. I will keep trying this until I get it right. Until I am free of AL. I say to myself the same thing I have said to many of you.. "never, ever, ever give up"!

I will give my daily 3's each day; three +'s and three -"s of drinking:

+'s of NOT drinking
    + how I look and feel in the morning
    + my morning hike
    + hearing myself laugh

-'s of drinking
    - undoing the healthy eating and exercise I did the day before
    - wasting money
    - procrastinating

Thanks for being here, guys! I promise to not run away, no matter what. My goal is to get myself past that 90 mark. That is goal number one. Then it will be "infinity and beyond".. (buzz lightyear):H

Nice to "see" all your fabulous faces!

Namaste,

MM
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

MM checking in... xoxo

MM, it's great to hear from you.

I just love your attitude, (and your goals).
    "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

MM,

Hi. I still struggle with AF, too. After going weeks, I will blow it, and I KNOW it is a conscious choice. Then, of course, I get angry with myself.

Such a strange addiction.

Glad to see you again and your goals sound very grounded.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Thank you for the "welcome back", DeeBee and Cindi.. xoxo
        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Nice to see you again, MM....

Don

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Thank you, Don. Nice to see you, too!

MM

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Welcome Back!

MM,
              Glad you are back and looking forward to reading your inspiring posts!

What sort of work to you do?

Take Care & Keep Posting
              Shas
              Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Hi MM,
                It's good to have you with us again.
                Finding the mental balance is difficult. Knowing how good you feel about yourself normally and then seeing how you feel after drinking and still carrying on with this craziness says a lot about what we're fighting. It wants me to feel bad about myself so that I'll drink more and more. It plays mind games very well, but we can learn to be equally efficient in that department and given the chance, we WILL beat it.
                You've come a long way and I'm sure that you will get to the place you want to be.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Popeye;644105 wrote:
                  Finding the mental balance is difficult. Knowing how good you feel about yourself normally and then seeing how you feel after drinking and still carrying on with this craziness says a lot about what we're fighting. It wants me to feel bad about myself so that I'll drink more and more. It plays mind games very well, but we can learn to be equally efficient in that department and given the chance, we WILL beat it..
                  Thanks, Paul! Good to see you, too. You hit it on the head when talking about the mind. I have been way to indulgent with my mind, and I know better! I have spent so much time with this in my Buddhist practice, I KNOW better. It just goes to show ME (again), when my ass is off the cushion my mind runs amok! I have not been diligent in my meditation since January, and thus, got mentally lazy. That is a lethal combination for me. Thank you for putting it into words. xoxoxo

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Nice to see you, Shas!

warning: AL (adult language) A bit of a rant with two swear words

I own a Day Spa. I am truly blessed to have such a beautiful and calm place to spend my days. Funny, I was thinking about this the other day. I have finally reached a place with my business where I have the best staff anyone could ask for, we are starting to get national press in magazines, we get daily compliments on the decor and peacefulness of the spa, We have an unbelievable client?le, I have people doing the back end stuff so I just get to play in front - everything I dreamed of and worked my ass off for!!

BUT.. there actually shouldn't be any "buts" - there is nothing wrong! So, guess what I like to do.. CHAOS! I haven't done this yet, hopefully I am catching myself before - this would be real growth for me if I can stop here. I tend to throw sticks in my own spokes when things are rolling to smoothly. I have done it in relationships, weight loss, and definitely in my careers. I know this about me. I don't think I am worthy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Thousands of dollars and years of therapy and most recently, my meditation practice, has revealed why, but I still do it. The easiest and fasted way to sabotage myself is to drink. NICE! I can go from zero to shit in less than one drink! That's all it takes to shut down and let my mind do it's nasty "you suck, MM" poll-dance.

Soooooo, I am going to stop it in it's tracks this time!!

Thank you for letting me rant for a moment. It is important for me to talk this through somewhere outside my head. I really need to pull my mind out of the equation right now. Everything is WONDERFUL, so I can give my mind a looong vacation...

I look forward to hear how you are too, Shas. Take care today and have a wonderful day!

MM

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

MM, I dont know you as I joined after you left..but a big welcome back. Anyway, just reading your original post you seem so in touch with yourself..im impressed.

Ive been drinking alot more than i would like recently too. Im starting to make plans throughout the day to keep myself away from drinking. Like tonight im going to an AA anniversary tonight which will keep me busy until 10pm. so no drinking today for me.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

That's fabulous, Cacky! I am doing the same; keeping myself busy so I am away from AL. I will be doing this for a very long time, but especially for the next few days, which are the most difficult.

Stay real close to this sight. I use it as a gage. If I don't want to log on, then I know that my mind is starting to take over, even if I am not aware. I am making it a goal each day to check in in the morning, and when I get home after work. When I was here before, some days I would check in at work if I was feeling a bit shaky.

Good luck and stay in touch!

Namaste,

MM

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

meditation mama;644311 wrote:

warning: AL (adult language) A bit of a rant with two swear words

BUT.. there actually shouldn't be any "buts" - there is nothing wrong! So, guess what I like to do.. CHAOS! I haven't done this yet, hopefully I am catching myself before - this would be real growth for me if I can stop here. I tend to throw sticks in my own spokes when things are rolling to smoothly. I have done it in relationships, weight loss, and definitely in my careers. I know this about me. I don't think I am worthy, yadda, yadda, yadda. Thousands of dollars and years of therapy and most recently, my meditation practice, has revealed why, but I still do it. The easiest and fasted way to sabotage myself is to drink. NICE! I can go from zero to shit in less than one drink! That's all it takes to shut down and let my mind do it's nasty "you suck, MM" poll-dance.

Soooooo, I am going to stop it in it's tracks this time!!

MM
                          Wow -- I could have said that! You just described me to a T. That seems to be the common problem with most of us! So how do we learn to live in a calm environment with out creating Chaos? I'm interested in everyone's thoughts on this! Even after 18 months of No Alcohol -- I know I have not changed this aspect of my personality! Need to ....

MM - I really can feel it ... you are ready. Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

love to you
                          AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Good to see you posting, MM. :l

Star x
                            Formerly known as Starlight Impress.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Oh, Liv.. you just made me cry! What a beautiful sentiment. I WILL GUARD MY ESSENCE!!! Thank you for posting that. I am going to print that one...

Hello, Star! So good to see you, too. I can't wait to catch up with you.

xoxo

MM

Comment

Working...
                              X