Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MM checking in... xoxo

Hi MM,
    Gee it has been a long time. Welcome back.
    The fifth precept is the one I always faltered over, and I was dreadfully guilty for deceiving myself . But, it is exactly that precept that has helped me.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Yes, that Fifth Precept.

"I undertake the precept to refrain from intoxicating drinks and drugs which lead to carelessness"

It's a doosy, and like most Buddhist teachings, can be read from so many angles. I am completely guilty in taking that particular Precept apart and analyzing it until it fit into my own selfish, delusional needs. I would search the internet until I found as many articles as I could to back up my thinking that "a few glasses of wine surely should be OK" and "after all, they serve wine at a lot of the Buddhist gatherings I go to", or even better, "Let's talk about carelessness".. I could wrap that one right around my world!

But, I read a really cool article recently from Thich Nhat Hanh, that put this Precept into the light in which I think it was meant:

Aware of the suffering caused by unmindful consumption, I am committed to cultivate good health, both physical and mental, for myself, my family, and my society by practicing mindful eating, drinking, and consuming. I am committed to ingest only items that preserve peace, well-being, and joy in my body, in my consciousness, and in the collective body and consciousness of my family and society. I am determined not to use alcohol or any other intoxicant or to ingest foods or other items that contain toxins, such as certain TV programs, magazines, books, films, and conversations. I am aware that to damage my body or my consciousness with these poisons is to betray my ancestors, my parents, my society, and future generations. I will work to transform violence, fear, anger, and confusion in myself and in society by practicing a diet for myself and for society. I understand that a proper diet is crucial for self-transformation and for the transformation of society.

For me, there is no dancing around that one... I have to be honest with myself. That is the bottom line.

Thanks, Rags! This will be my thought for the day. Good to see you, too! Can't wait to catch up.

Namaste,

MM
      Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Good reading!!

Thanks.

Love,
        Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

MM glad to see you,

Keep posting and don't be gone so long ok,

Sammys

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

MM!

So glad to have you back, we missed you!
            Every day is a day to start over and remember that I am powerless over my addiction. I will no longer give the BEAST any power over me - he can go straight to hell.
            :h

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

always great to see you MM .. please keep coming back girl
              :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
              best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Nice to see you, too, Sammys, Universal and tlrgs!

I made it home safe and sound. I posted earlier that I am home alone without DD for the next 4 nights. This can be tough for me as I try not to drink about my daughter. I wish I could say that I never drank around her, but lately I have. That is another reason for me to get my arse back here and stop the madness. I am really happy to report that I have had no desire to drink today. I got home, made myself an iced tea/lemonade, cooked myself dinner, and now I'm sitting here happily typing and connecting to all of you. Thank you again for being here and reaching out to me.

I don't want to drink because:
                I like the way I look and carry myself during the day without a hangover
                I love that I am able to work on my best friend that has cancer first thing this morning and truly pass on positive energy
                I am proud of the way I parent my DD when I have a clear head and patients

What drinking does for me
                Makes me feel ashamed
                Shuts me off from friends and family
                Spend too much money to try to make myself feel better

Have a fabulous evening, all.

I love you all!

MM
                Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

livingfree;644371 wrote:
                  MM - I really can feel it ... you are ready. Put your hands over your heart - and tell yourself that you are going to guard this essence of who you are with everything. Alcohol opens us up to darkness and depression instantly. You choose love today. Guard it by keeping the poison out of your body. It IS poison.

love to you
                  I am going to keep posting this until it becomes part of my psyche!!

Thanks, girlfriend!

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

MM, I am so happy you are back and posting, I missed you!
                    "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

It was so nice to talk with you last night, Beaches - along with tlrgs, britt, P4T and others in chat. How lucky we are to have a place we can go to (or come back to), and be completely honest about who we are and the struggles we are going through. Thank you again MWO for keeping this forum open for us.

Comment

MM checking in... xoxo

Hey MM! How did it go today? With DD gone for the long weekend, just checking in on you! I tried to get onto chat to see if you are "in the house" .. but can't for some reason. I laughed when I read how you were trying to justify the "stretching" of the 5th precept! Isn't that the way we work? The time we spend justifying what we do could be spent doing so many more productive things! I once was on a high protein diet and allowed myself beer because it had a little protein in it. Oh ... it was low carb. I searched until I found one that had very low carbs. We are crafty.

When I first quit drinking I taped a sign on (what once was) my wine cellar... It simply said .......... (re-think)

So ... my advice to you this weekend.... for every thought you have that may lead you astray ... (re-think).

Stay close to your computer!

luv you
                        AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

Working...
                        X