Buzz Aldrin’s journey from moon to alcoholism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found this article very interesting. I'll never forget watching them walk on the moon as a kid. Happened on July 20th (I remember because it was my birthday.
    Buzz Aldrin’s journey from moon to alcoholism - Biography and memoirs

Thanks that does look interesting, I will have a read of it later.
    Have you read his book and if so is it good?
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

wow thanks for posting it. it is always so great to see great people with great sobriety

Comment

I read an interview with Buzz Aldrin a couple of years ago saying how pissed off he was that Armstrong was chosen over him to be the first one to step on the moon, and he has never really got over that - he talks about it here too. I wonder if that sparked off the drinking when he got back?
        sigpic
        AF since December 22nd 2008
        Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

This year is the 40th anniversary of the 1st moon walk. I remember most of them, but not sure I remember the first one. I know I watched it, cause my parents sat me down in front of the TV to watch them. Really sparked a love of astronomy for me for years.

Oh, and thanks for the book link. I'll check it out.

Comment

I've just read an article in this week's New Scientist, which amongst other things mentions.....
            Buzz Aldrin was the first man to pee on the moon!!!
            And he also took Christian communion there. Which he now regrets as he was there for all mankind, not just American Christians.

Yes Marshy, that was a prime trigger for him starting to drink.

Comment

Rags;643925 wrote: Buzz Aldrin was the first man to pee on the moon!!!
              Ewwwww. I wonder if he was marking "his" territory because he didn't get to step out first?
              sigpic
              AF since December 22nd 2008
              Real change is difficult, and slow, and messy - Oliver Burkeman

Comment

I remember the first moonwalk vividly.
                I was seven and a half years old. My dad was in the RAF at the time and I was interested in anything to do with flying. I remember he was on guard duty that day and watched it from the guardhouse. I got up early to watch the whole thing on my own and I was awestruck through the whole thing.

I haven't worked out yet if being an alcoholic makes you the person you hate or if you drink to forget about the person you are or the way life is for you at the time. I don't know if I need to know the answer to that one, I just need to stay dry and get as much from what's left of my life as I can. It touches so many lives and always in a bad way, from the rich, famous and powerful to the average Joe.
                Buzz talked about finding his role in life once he had achieved that remarkable feat. That's a thing that most people can identify with. Trying to be a good husband and a father or grandfather are all worthy aspirations and rolls I enjoy, but sometimes these can mask a desire for other things. I've always had a sense that I don't quite fit in. Nothing screamingly obvious, just a niggling itch that I have to scratch. It might be a character flaw on my part, I don't know, but as Popeye says "I am what I am" and I'm still looking for my niche. I thought I'd found it. I'll find it one day.

Comment

Buzz is now also a rap star

I saw this article on Sky's website today:

One Giant Leap For Rap: Buzz Sings With Snoop: Buzz Aldrin Records Rocket Experience Rap Song With Snoop Dogg And Producer Quincy Jones | Showbiz News | Sky News
                  I'll do whatever it takes
                  AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Gangsta!
                    Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts.
                    AF since May 6, 2010

Comment

Working...
                    X