Six months of freedom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Six months of freedom

It's so different than I imagined sobriety might be. For the years that I've aspired to be sober I imagined what life would be like with the absence of alcohol. I didn't really get it that something would come in to fill the absence - or that that 'something' would be Life.
    I removed the barrier of alcohol and Life came rushing in.

There are so many profound nuances to living -- I have got to write about it all before the novelty wears off. For now I'll just say that until you are free, you probably can't even imagine how much richness there is to living.

Sobriety has become like a "thing" - an entity or something, in that it's something I've worked for, earned, and own. Like if I owned a house - it would be mine and I'd appreciate and remember all that I did to work toward attaining it. And I would take good care of it, respect it, honor it - that's how I feel about my sobriety. It's weird - I didn't know it would be like this.

Now when I wonder what it would be like to drink, or worry if I'll be tempted when around people drinking -- I don't have to convince myself that it's not a good idea. It just doesn't appeal to me at all. I didn't expect this either.

Living life's moments is so much better than merely enduring or escaping them, even when they aren't all that pleasant.

The best part of this new life is discovery. Every day I discover something new about this journey of living, about people, myself, nature, beauty, love, music, humor, work, pain, the past, the present....

If you're still struggling, don't give up. It took me about 4 years from the time I truly admitted to myself that I had a "problem" to get to this day. It is so very worth all the toil!
    FINALLY -- I'm a non-drinker!!

Six months of freedom

Wow!

I am speechless.

You sound so happy and joyous.

I am so glad that you have found sobriety so good.

I am only starting to see the light also.

You so deserve this.

Take Care
    Shas
    Just keep on swmming, just keep on swimming!

Comment

Six months of freedom

Such a powerful affirmation. Thank you for giving hope to everyone struggling, and congratulations on reclaiming your life! :grouptrophy:
      sigpic
      Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
      awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Six months of freedom

That's brilliant MyOwnWoman,
        You have expressed the feelings I share very well.
        I'm coming up to the six month mark and I completely understand what you mean.
        When I stopped drinking I thought that I had handed myself a sentence to be endured, but instead there has come a real freedom to think and live properly.
        It's a joy to get up every morning and also to finish the day with a smile, as I usually do. I sometimes feel that it can't last and that something will happen to break the spell, but it's not my imagination. It's a real, fundamental change to the way I view myself. Alcohol plays no part in my life and I can honestly say that I don't miss it at all. I would never have thought it possible,
        Of course it's not the cure to all of life's ills. There are things that I would love to change, but I can look the world square in the face and set about changing them too.
        Bring it on

Comment

Six months of freedom

Thank you for posting in such clear and precise words the place in which I aspire to be. I am very happy for you to have found it.

'The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. They must be felt with the heart' - Helen Keller.
          Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW, it is truly a joy to read your post. I think you described it so well. Congratulations on your new life, and for giving it the respect and attention it deserves. Enjoy!
            AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW it's so good to hear from you, I was thinking about you the other day. Your sobriety sounds wonderful and you have worked so hard at it. :goodjob:
              Enlightened by MWO

Comment

Six months of freedom

Congratulations on your 6 months, fantastic!!
                No wonder you feel so good today............you deserve it!!
                I am at 3 months now myself and am beginning to understand the nuances of this new life. It really has been an interesting process, filed with lots of surprises

Continued Peace & Blessings.
                AF since 03/26/09
                NF since 05/19/09
                Success comes one day at a time :thumbs:

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW, WOW! Great stuff. Our attitude, (of gratitude, rather than deprivation) is key, and yours is brilliant, but also typical, of our new found freedom. Nice post, thanks. Feel the power!

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW, Good for you! Congratulations.
                    I started on this site in Nov 07, but left for a good while. I am back and will have 2 mos on Tuesday and I too can feel the difference. What a feeling, it is GREAAAAT!

Winefree

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW!!!

thoroughly enjoyed your post! so very glad for you. come chat when you get a chance ok? xxxx
                      nosce te ipsum
                      (Know Thyself)

Comment

Six months of freedom

MOW,

There are two people here on MWO that I actually print their posts and keep them in a file so that I can read them over and over again. You are one of them. I have many of your posts, including your story. You are an amazing inspiration to me. Thank you..... hitting "print"
                        If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Six months of freedom

Great post. I may have to "print" as well.

I think I can see myself as a person who does not drink, at some point in the future. I have never thought about this till very recently. When in the future, I don't know. You are right, it does take a LONG time to get there - and I have been struggling for already too many years.

Thanks for the inspiration, MOW!

Comment

Six months of freedom

Great post MOW!!! Congratulations on your success. You sound so good and it is well deserved.

Comment

Six months of freedom

Well said. Many will be inspired by your words.

Comment

Working...
                              X