letter from a 12yr old girl to an alcoholic parent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just in case we needed a reminder of how AL effects our children.

I just received this email from my daughter. She was at her father's last night. This is the last straw for me. This beautiful child of mine (or is she a child? what a little old soul) has had to grow up too fast and deal with the gut-wrenching effects of F@#$%&g AL long enough and she is only 12! This letter is a final wake up call to me, too. Even though I didn't drink around her, I did when she was gone. What if something happened at her Father's and I was drunk. FU AL!! You are outta here!!

She was brave enough to send this to her father. She said she started just writing in her journal, but then decided to send it to him. She was sacred, but I told her she did the right thing. I am very proud of her! But she is so young - it just breaks my heart that she even has to deal with this.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

dear journal,

Last night was a rough one. the day started out great, but it was all down hill from there. My dad, step mom, my friend and I went to the lake house. We had a good day out in the water. My friend and I learned a lesson to always wear a life jacket when you are on a surfboard and never go out to far and watch where you are.

After that we went home to the ranch. Everything was okay. My friend and I rode the four-wheeler but it ran out of gas so we had to go home and fill up the tank. All of a sudden we see my step mom take off. She yells out the window; "I'll be right back!". We were wondering what was happening so we go inside and ask my dad. They both had been drinking so that didn't make matters any better. I ask my dad why my step mom left and he said that they had been fighting and that he was going in to town to get some cigarettes and that made me mad. I told him I didn't want him to go and that it was a bad idea. He got upset and took me outside and gave me a talk of how I cant be giving him attitude. He told me to go eat my dinner and go to bed.

So that upset me. We go inside and I sit down with my friend and start eating. He was doing things in the kitchen and kept going in and out of the house. He went into the big house and me and my friend went outside to see if my step mom was back, and she was. She also was in the big house. Then we see my dad coming so we rush inside, but about two minutes later no one comes inside, so we go outside and the car isnt there. We go into the big house and my step mom was sitting in there. I told her good night and left. She could tell I wasnt very happy so she came inside.

So then I called my mom because I was really unhappy because my dad left. I was really worried about him. My mom said that if we wanted we could have my friend's mom come pick us up. My dad had my mom's car so she couldn't get us. (MM- they had my car to take DD to a softball tournement as I have the SUV with extra kid seats - talk about feeling helpless!!!) So we go talk to my step mom and asked her if she would be unhappy if we had my friend's mom come and get us she said that everything would be okay and that we could just stay here. My mom called back and I told her that everything would be okay.

So I go out to the living room and my step mom and my friend got a movie playing. we all sat on the couch and watched the movie. I had a hard time consentrating on the movie because i was worried about my dad because he still wasnt home. Then he came in the door. I was really relieved and so I went into the kitchen to give him a hug and tell him good night. So I did and he said good night and pushed me away. That made me feel really bad because i was all worried for him and all he does is push me away when I try to be nice. I probably shouldnt even said good night but i did.

So he got the wine and went into the big house. He stayed there over night witch really made me mad and sad because they couldnt even try to figure it out for one night while I was there. I was really embarrased too because all of this was happening in front of my friend. I know i didnt do anything but for some reason I feel guilty.

Im still worried about them. And now I cant go there for a while until they figure it out and stop drinking and fighting in front of me. They have been fighting a lot lately. I don't know what to think. I know there is nothing I can do but its so hard because I love them both so much. But im to a point were i dont even want to go anymore because Im so tired of them drinking and it really makes me feel bad. I wish i could tell them this but I don't want to put myself in a position were I can't defend myself.

And to make matters worse my mom won't stop saying things like well you aren't going until they can figure it out because what they are doing is stupid. And i know its true but it hurts to hear that. If i told my dad this stuff then he would probably think I was stupid.

Its so hard to talk to them about the feelings I have about this. I try to talk to them when they are actually drinking and fighting but it doesnt get through to them because the alchohol makes it so they dont even remember. But if I talk to them when they are sober they just think Im being too sensitive or that I dont need to be getting into there buisness. But i do because it's my buisness too because it affects me just as much/more than it does to them.

I wish i could send this to them but I know they would get mad. But im going to send it to my mom so that she can know my exact feelings and maybe she can explain it to them better. But I hate to do that because Im almost hiding behind my mom and making her talk to them when I should be talking to them....

well thats what thet would say anyway. Anyway thanks for listening I really needed to get this out. idk what to do.
    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Pretty awesome that she had the guts to write and do this.

Comment

MM,

What a letter. So telling, isn't it? Aren't you glad she feels she can come to you?

You may want to have a talk with dad and explain that his actions are truly hurting his girl. I know he doesn't mean to. Alcholism is such a selfish disease.

I have done horribly stupid things that hurt my grandchildren because of it.

Never again. Never.

AL, you are out of my life.

Thank you for sharing that, MM, it really is good to see this disease from the eyes of a child.

Cindi
      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

She is wise beyond her years!!!!!!!

Comment

Yes, wise beyond her 12 years. It is truly heartbreaking when children feel so scared and helpless as a result of parent's choices that are beyond their control.

MM... thanks for being willing to share this with us. How very eye-opening.
          If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Oh this brought tears to my eyes, MM. What a brave and eloquent young girl you have!

I hope her father can truly listen to what she has to say. Sometimes I think that letters are better, because people can't respond right away or be defensive. Her father can think about what she has written.

Thank you for sharing this with us. You are both lucky to have each other. :l

AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

MM, it is gutwrenching what we do to our children. The things my children have said to me have cut straight through my heart!!!! No child should ever have to see their parent drunk.
              Forever loved, forever missed Papa Bear

Comment

Heartbreaking. I can relate to that little girl. I was like her. My father was an asshole mean alcoholic who embarrassed me & then my Mom became one when she aged. Nice.

Rough day here on the boards.

Comment

My daughter saw me drunk once. She was ~25. I had taken a percocet. She thought I was funny & adorable. My son never saw me drunk. He just became concerned that I drank wine every day.

I never wanted my children to go through what I did as a child. I think this has helped me stay somewhat in control. It does not eliminate that I have a problem. In a way I have become my Mom. I hate that!!!!

The boards today have been too much for my sister Zenstyle & myself.

Good night friends.

Comment

DD and I have had a lot to talk about tonight. Hours of conversation. I am so proud of her. I am doing an OK job with her..

I NEVER want to lose this bond. I can not drink - ever! She said she is so happy I don't drink around her. I told her I was not drinking, period! She said she was very happy about that. I want her to know she has a SOLID place to come to no matter what.

Did I say I was proud?
                    Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Keep strong, MM - that letter was gut-wrenching.
                      I'll do whatever it takes
                      AF 21/08/2009

Comment

makes me think why did i ever drink, you cause so much hurt every where,and you cant even see it.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

came a cross this quote this morning
                          A hundred years from now it will not matter what my bank account was,the sort of house i lived in or the kind of clothes i wore,
                          But the world may be different because i was important in the life of a child.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
                          I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

MM that was so moving, you are lucky to have such a sensitive and intellegent daughter. Wow is she really only 12?
                            It proves you are doing a great job as a mum because she felt safe and warm to come to you with this.

Mario I love that quote, it just rings so true.
                            Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Yes, she is only 12.. A very mature 12.

As I said, she sent this to her Dad and Step-Mom. She saw her Step-Mom at a softball party last night. She said she didn't say much and acted like she wasn't happy with her. We talked a lot about it and I told her to remember that she has done NOTHING WRONG, and that she has to remember that. She said that she didn't care if they were mad because she has the right to say something. She is the strongest little person I have ever met.

She is truly my teacher...

Comment

Working...
                              X