Shame

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shame

I've been reading a few threads and posts of late that, to me, are very shame based in their content. Through treatment I came to understand that at the core of my own addiction was shame and I'd like to share some excerpts from a pamphlet I was given. Hope some of these help.

Shame's most important objective is to not be exposed. Most people who are shame based don't know it. They can't. It's slippery. Sometimes it comes on so slowly, you won't know when you started to feel this way. And it is most often disguised as what it is not: irrational white rage, indifference, the overwhelming need to control, depression, confusion, flightiness, the obsession to use, numbness, panic and the need to run. We will grasp whatever defense we can to survive slipping into the bottomless pit of shame.

Ironically, these very defenses saved us during our darkest moments. They may actually be the reason we are alive today, and we can think of them as healthy reactions to very unhealthy circumstances. We can admire and respect ourselves for having them, before we lay them down and begin living a new life that no longer requires such reactions.

Most of us come into recovery as innocents. In the rawness of hitting bottom and accepting about powerlessness, we are like children, hoping everything will be fixed now. The reality is that getting sober merely gets us to the starting gate. Eventually if we are true to our recovery we will collide with the feelings we ran from for years.

Recovery is not a destination. It is a journey. From the day we took our first sober steps, we began the lifelong journey towards serenity and ultimately love. The road is sometimes treacherous, sometimes glorious, and always unpredictable. It demands our entire anticipation, our full and total commitment from our core. But we cannot get there if we are shackled by shame. With shame running our lives, many of us will drink again. Many of us will never return from a slip because the shame devours us and death seems to be the only way to relieve the pain. Anyone who has experienced the depths of shame can understand how suicide may seem to be the kinder solution.

Shame begins with feeling vulnerable and threatened. Out of control. Suddenly we are exposed and we are in danger of losing something, someone. When we are exposed against our will and our secrets are revealed even before ourselves we feel shame. It can begin with a belief we formulated without even knowing it. Yet beliefs are not necessarily based on reality. They are, however, very real for us, personally. If we decided when we were young that we were fools for loving a parent who left us, then it's possible to feel shame for the rest of our lives at the very thought of being left by someone. And so we work very hard at not being found out. For most human beings loving is as instinctual as sleeping and eating. But for the shamed person, loving means being out of control. Frantically we build elaborate defenses to make sure we are never found out; never exposed. Imagine what that does to a relationship. There can be no intimacy when we will not reveal ourselves, not declare ourselves, not commit ourselves. That is the result of shame. Eventually our partner will leave, frustrated and confused and we will have what we so desperately tried to protect ourselves from; rejection. Intimacy requires that we be vulnerable, out of control. The alcoholic personality has an aversion to being out of control. After all, didn't we drink to gain control over our feelings? Yet we cannot accept love without giving up control. In order to accept love we must be still. We must be quiet and we must open our hearts to someone else, who accepts us in all our humanness. It sounds wonderful but for the shame based person it feels horrendous. Being loved means being exposed. And being exposed means being out of control. And being out of control means.....dying.

To ask someone about his shame while he's experiencing it is like trying to discuss the nature of convulsions with an epileptic during a seizure. The very nature of shame is to protect itself from exposure. So opening up during a severe attack of shame may seem impossible for some of us. Thus we become slaves to shame, staying loyal to the feelings and ultimately just trying to survive. The end result is that we withdraw into ourselves and become untouchable, unreachable.

Because we're isolated we don't know we're not not unique, weird, crazy, bad. We don't allow others in. Instead we can end up living in a world that borders on paranoia, thinking if anyone ever knew our real feelings they would also know how defective we are. We start accepting our brutal self-criticism as normal. We become so accustomed to pain and self abuse that the next logical step is to use alcohol and other drugs to ease the pain, the fears, and the loneliness of shame.

Here's one description of the shame spiral.
    1. The bond between us is broken
    2. I am exposed - I fear abandonment
    3. I widen the chasm because I go away to hide
    4. I abuse myself or others
    5. The one who shamed me or who I think shamed me tries to approach me.
    6. I feel even more exposed
    7. I throw up my defenses; fight, freeze, or flee. I get rageful, numb, controlling, perfectionistic , etc
    8. The shame retreats in self preservation and the chasm widens.
    9. I feel abandoned. I was right. I am no good.
    10. More shame, more isolation, more abandonment, ad nauseum.

I'll type more tomorrow!!

Peace and Love
    Phil
    xx
    "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
    Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Shame

thankx hippie
    :beach: life does change as long as you are willing to change yourself ..
    best thing about the future it comes one day at a time..

Comment

Shame

Great post. Thanks Phil.
      To Infinity And Beyond!!

Comment

Shame

To ask someone about his shame while he's experiencing it is like trying to discuss the nature of convulsions with an epileptic during a seizure. The very nature of shame is to protect itself from exposure.
        There is much in your post to ponder. This sentence hit me the most. I will be reflecting upon this thought. Thank you, Hippie. There is so much shame in this addiction. I live it each day. Some of us go out and do publicly obnoxious stuff. Some of us are quietly obnoxious, or absent to those who love and need us.... But there is no shame in trying to defeat it! You are an inspiration to me, and many others.

Thank you.
        Dill

Dont forget, you can: start late, start over, be unsure, try and fail AND STILL SUCCEED!

If it is important to you, you will find a way. If not, you will find an excuse.

Comment

Shame

Hippie, you must have writing cramp after that mate. Great material. thank you brother.

shame. one of the dysfunctional offspring of fear and ego.
          nosce te ipsum
          (Know Thyself)

Comment

Shame

hi hippster,interesting ,but we only feel shame cause others remind us ,we should,shame is something we have the ability to rid ourselves from,shame is brot on from an abuse when we were as children , we had no control over it,,but it is good to here your moving on,gyco

Comment

Shame

Shame starts in early childhood, I believe. At least mine sure did. This is a very very interesting topic.

Comment

Shame

Very good information to ponder. Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Shame

Thankyou!!!

Comment

Shame

Hipster,

Thank you for posting that.

We do so end up in the depths of shame and despair. It only leads to more.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Shame

No Shame No Blame . . .

Welcome back Hipp . . .

Great Post ~ Thanx . . .

Without Shame in our lives we can move forward in a Positive Direction.

Comment

Shame

This was very helpful. Thank you! You sound like you have really reprogrammed your brain!

Comment

Shame

Shame

I grew up feeling very ashamed of my family circumstances. I have a body/soul reaction to AL that is riddled with shame- even if i fully remember everything while drinking (rare) i am still fully paniced and humiliated when i wake up the next day. It has now escalated to panic and shame all the time. THis hits a deep note with me, thanks for the information and posts.

Comment

Shame

Hippie:

Thank you so much for posting this--it really hit home with me.

I look forward to the next one.

Comment

Shame

Hippie, you need to be in Hollywood!! You are one gorgeous little sucker !@!@!@!@!@!@!@!!!!
                              sigpic
                              Never look down on a person unless you are offering them a hand up.
                              awprint: RUBY Imagine yourself doing What you love and loving What you do, Being happy From the inside Out, experiencing your Dreams wide awake, Being creative, being Unique, being you - changing things to the way YOU know they can BE - Living the Life you Always imagined.awprint:

Comment

Working...
                              X