How does one quit without seeing a future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello Goals and welcome. Being controled by drink for me was an all consuming livestyle. Was there enough drink in the house for tonight?, where can I stop for a swift couple on the way home, which off licence shop haven't I used for a few days, what excuse/lies do I need when explaining the lost time when I was in the pub. The list is endless. Just to be free from this feels like such a weight lifted, the monkey off of my back if you will.
    So take away the guilt, add in the physical and metal benefits and actually starting to feel comfortable in my own skin again and you have an unbeatable combination. I am realitively newly sober but I can tell you hand on heart that if you commit to and succeed in this you will never look back or wonder what to do with your time or your future because you will be living it and it feels just so good to be alive and sober.
    Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Thanks for all of the confirmation of how great being sober is and for the well wishes. I really appreciate it so much as I felt so much anxiety for the future. But knowing that if you give it a chance, it will unfold for anyone is really helpful to hear. Please lets really never drink again. People who don't drink do stuff, very simple. I have not been doing anything but sinking time. Closing in on 40 is very worrisome to me. Much more than any other year. It's time to care for my body and I do not currently in any way. I eat badly, sleep badly, drank daily and smoked even for a few years. How dumb do you have to be to begin smoking at 35, having never smoked before in my life. Thank god it wasn't heroin. Although I'm to cowardly/smart? to ever try such a thing. Terrifies me. But alcohol has been just as destructive in it's own way. I can kill myself that way also. Somehow Prohibition now seems like a very good idea. I don't know many people who can drink responsibly often. Most people like it too much or barely drink. So thank you, thank you, thank you. You provide hope that life on the other side is BETTER. Sorry to be so posty but I've needed reassurance that life is out there today.

Comment

Welcome I Need Goals! This isn't exactly a response to your question as I'm not really there yet, but Hippie posted something on "Shame" yesterday (I think) that might help explain your state. I have often felt like you do and wondered why. I think that is part of the answer.

Comment

Working...
        X