Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6 months Sober for Popeye!!!

Thank you all so much.
    When I stopped drinking it was hard to imagine how long six months without a drink is. It seemed so far away and unreachable. I'd watched others reach the landmark and thought "One day, maybe I can say that too, but I doubt it." I really needed to get a handle on this thing and find a way to get a degree of control. I was in a complete mess.
    Well, with a lot of support from some wonderful people here and some good, old fashioned determination, I made it, and it's a good feeling. I have made a lot of real lifestyle changes and tried to develop and improve some other areas of my life, and re-evaluate some deeply entrenched attitudes that were hindering my progress. I feel that I am still starting out along my chosen path and that in the big scheme of things, six months isn't a long time, but sometimes it felt like it. I remember at the beginning how every single day was a battle but how as time goes by, they start flowing along more and more peacefully. There is no way that I'm going to risk falling back into the pit that I dug for myself. I'm aware of the dangers and I refuse to go back to where I don't belong.
    Everyone here has my deepest respect for having the guts to address their own problem and by sharing the good times aswell as the bad, help others along the way.
    To anyone just starting out I would like to tell you that I was here for a couple of years before learning to balance the right tools and attitudes that make it possible for me to begin to sort out my drinking problem, so never give up. You can find a way. I know that I could not have got where I am on my own. I owe MWO and it's members a huge debt of gratitude.
    Once again, thank you.
    :h

Comment

Congrats Pops you are going places. :goodjob:

Comment

You are an inspiration to me Popeye! I love you.
        Krigs
        "People usually fail when they are on the verge of success. So give as much care to the end as to the beginning." Lao-Tzu

Comment

Hi Popeye.

Just wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic effort.

What has changed in your life thus far?

Much I would imagine.

Keep up the great work.

Brett.
          Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
          (From Then Till Now).

Comment

TimeToLoveMyLiver;656019 wrote: Hi Popeye.

Just wanted to congratulate you on a fantastic effort.

What has changed in your life thus far?

Much I would imagine.

Keep up the great work.

Brett.
            Good question.
            So much has changed.
            When I realised that I had to stop my situation was almost desperate. I had nowhere of my own to live, no job, I was in the middle of a divorce, the relationship with my son was incredibly bad and I felt that there might not be a way back for me. My self respect was virtually non-existant. I felt as low as I have ever been in my life, and I've been pretty low.
            Since quitting, I have managed to sort out most of the domestic stuff and got a job and I'm reasonably secure. I'm on my own now, with my own place and trying to make as good an effort as I can to lead a decent and productive life. I'm fit and healthy, but then I've been blessed that way and have rarely had problems, apart from the drink related blackouts and alcohol poisoning which I suffered on occasion.
            The major changes though are concerned with my mental and emotional health. I am finding a real inner peace. I have been able to let go of so much of the rubbish that I had accumulated and as a result I am much calmer and relaxed. My internal dialogue makes more sense and I'm in the process of evaluating what in life is important and what is not, with a clear mind. One of the best parts of the whole thing is that I can see a positive, happy future now where none seemed possible before. Basically, I smile more easily because I am happier. Things are by no means perfect, but I feel better able to deal with the frustrations and trials that life throws at all of us. It's been a huge change in a relatively short period of time.
            I feel blessed.

Comment

Well done Popeye! Congrats. You sound terrific.

Comment

Great stuff, Paul.

Comment

Congratulations, Pops!

Comment

Hi Paul.

What a great story. I'm so glad I asked.

You have come such a long way in such a short period of time. I take my hat off to you.

Hearing inspiring stories such as yours makes me even more determined to succeed in sobriety.

Keep up the great work my friend.

Kind Regards

Brett.
                    Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
                    (From Then Till Now).

Comment

Way to go Popeye ! IAD.
                      ?Be who you are and say what you feel because
                      those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.?
                      Dr. Seuss

Comment

Absolutely fantastic, Popeye! You are my hero..

:bow :bow :bow

Mm
                        Face your deficiencies and acknowledge them, but do not let them master you. Let them teach you patience, sweetness, insight.

Comment

Congrats Popeye! You sound terrific!

:goodjob:
                          K
                          Nov 1 2006 avg 100 - 120 drinks/week
                          April 29 2011 TSM avg 70 - 80/wk
                          wks* 1- 6: 256/1AF (avg 42.6/wk)
                          wks* 7-12: 229/3AF (avg 38.1/wk)
                          wks 13-18: 192/5AF (avg 32.0/wk)
                          wks 19-24: 176/1AF (avg 29.3/wk)
                          wks 25-30: 154/10AF (avg 25.6/wk)
                          wks 31-36: 30/37AF (avg 5/wk )

I may not be there yet, but I'm closer than I was yesterday.
                          http://www.thesinclairmethod.net/community/

Comment

:yougo::yougo:CONGRATULATIONS ON 6 MONTHS SOBER POPEYE!!!:yougo::yougo:

I love the way your describe your journey. So much of this is about changing our lives - not just removing the alcohol. You inspire me with hope that I can become a more peaceful, loving, and less self centered person. If you can do it, I can do it too. Thank you for sharing!

DG
                            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
                            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Well done!

Comment

Way to go, Popeye! Your story is an inspiration to all of us. It shows that everything in your life doesn't have to be *just right* before quitting AL -- quite the contrary. It also shows that one should never give up trying. You kept at it until you found the right combination. Who knows? That winning combo could be just around the corner for someone. Thanks for sharing and for being a shining example!
                                "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                                X