Observation Ive Noticed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Observation Ive Noticed

I didnt start drinking until my mid 20's. When I was younger, if I hung out with people that drank, Id become bored and annoyed. Now I am trying to quit for good, I realize that its unlikely thatd Id enjoy hanging out with my current drinking buddies if I am not drinking.

I hope I am not being too Kaptain Obvious.

Observation Ive Noticed

Dug, you're being wise. In my journey, I struggle more if I stop at my local to see my friends, and they all stop there too. I've wanted to start different hobbies because of that, but I'm drawn to tennis, biking, jogging, but my spine is out of whack and even walking long can be a nightmare right now, so I'm spending more time alone, which isn't good either...Thinking of joing a gym, just for the other companionship and physical benefits.

Comment

Observation Ive Noticed

The only OBVIOUS thing Dug is that you're thinking ahead!! And that's great! Like CV, I spend more time alone than I'd like, and when I am with friends, I gravitate more toward the friends who drink very little, as opposed to the ones that I used to drink with. Two of my "drinking buddy" friends are cutting down on drinking, but we have a Pavlovian response when we see each other of just automatically wanting a drink, so for now, we are just talking on the phone. It's sad, cause I had great times with them, but they ALWAYS involved drinking!!!
      AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Observation Ive Noticed

Maybe it *should* be obvious, but we all need these reminders. One of the many slogans I remember from AA is "You have to change your playground and your playmates." Not that we have to give up any true friends -- but we probably don't have any business hanging around pubs just for the heck of it, and true friends shouldn't ask us to spend time in settings centered around drinking. Not only could it be slippery ground for us early on, but as you pointed out, it's BORING to watch other people drink. (Which makes me wonder, why did I ever find it so entertaining myself?)

Most of my good friends who also drink a lot live in faraway places -- so the next time we all get together, I'm going to have a challenge. But they are true friends, not just drinking buddies, so it will be worth it. Also, my mom and sister drink, and I'll be spending time with them at Christmas, so I'm already planning for that. In my local setting I tended to drink at home alone, and spend hours on the phone or online -- so my challenge here is to get out and develop some healthy hobbies and new friends. Maybe I'll even use those cross-country skis I bought (but didn't use) last winter.

Thanks for the observation, Dug!
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

Working...
        X