Broke All My Wine Glasses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I know that those of you thrifty people out there are cringeing big time. But I just had to do it.

I am one of those people to whom drinking wine was not just about the AL and the high, but it was about the AURA. It was about being FANCY, about taking care of myself, about doing something so special.

And I knew if I was really going to do this that I couldn't start doing things like having fizzy drinks in my lovely wine glasses that I had collected over the years, the ones that I had found at wineries in Napa, or at at Macy's in San Francisco on that drink-fest of a trip with girlfriends, etc. For me, that would have maintained the AURA of the whole thing, the mystique of AL that it was some great treat that equated to self-care when it became something so NOT caring for me in the end. I had to stop thinking of those glasses as part of a reward for a hard day, for a boring day, for a celebration, etc.

So I took about 30 of them, put them in a bag the other night, and smashed them in the driveway. It was a bit scary, but afterwards I really did feel better.

Sick, huh?!

I know, I could have boxed them up and donated them somewhere, but I really think it was cathartic to just smash them up and be done with it.

As I've said before, referrals to qualified therapists are always welcome.

Not at all Scrubbers,
    I've heard of Heroin users being addicted to "the Steel" Perhaps there are parallells. I used to drink one great bottle 1st, then trash out on rubbish
    Long Road
    Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
    Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Scrubbly ....

...... Perfect.

You destroyed "your" AL. You finished him off. You sent him away. If you had donated them or given them away, "it" would have lived.

Perfect. Well done.
      AF for two years. Slight relapse. Working on it at the moment.

Comment

Scrubbly, I am definitely with Long Road, Onie and Cat on this one! Just another way of kicking ol' AL in the gonads! :goodjob:
        'Tis with our judgements as our watches, none go just alike, yet each believes his own - Alexander Pope

Comment

Oh, I am not alone with this crazy behaviour????
          I BURRIED my favorite wine glass. Seriously, gave it a small funeral and now it is resting in peace. Needless to say, I do not visit the grave...
          "If I lost confidence in myself, I have the Universe against me"
          Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I think its great Scrubbs!
            Seriously.
            Good for you.
            "The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it"

Comment

So I took about 30 of them, put them in a bag the other night, and smashed them in the driveway. It was a bit scary, but afterwards I really did feel better.

I think that was a great idea, and you wouldnt want to be passing on bad examples anyway, smashed the feckers up, well done, sounds like you made a great job of it!

Comment

Scrub...........Great idea and very therapeutic, me thinks !!!I love the sound of breaking glass.....as long as it isn't in my antique shop !!!.......LOL
                sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

Good idea, Scrubbs. Very therapeutic, indeed. Mine are recycled into candleholders -- renders them unusable for drinking but it's not as satisfying as that C-R-U-N-C-H!
                  "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Thirty!!! Holy shit! Thirty??
                    sigpic
                    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

well you know whats its like when thouse darn half full glasses keep going missing....darn it, wasnt it soo annoying???

Comment

Long Road;657628 wrote: Not at all Scrubbers,
                        I've heard of Heroin users being addicted to "the Steel" Perhaps there are parallells. I used to drink one great bottle 1st, then trash out on rubbish
                        Me too, the first bottle of wine was an nice one, the cheap stuff was opened when that was gone. Blimey is that alkie behavour or what.

Nice one scrubbly, I bet it feels like cleaning the slate.
                        Ethanol is a toxic chemical, why would I drink it?

Comment

Hi Scrubbly.

Great work!!!! What a great idea. Seriously though, what's more important, a few old glasses or your long term health and well being? I commend you.

Stay strong.

Brett.
                          Alcohol Free Since July 1 2009.

My Sobriety Blog
                          (From Then Till Now).

Comment

Loved the reference to the "aura" and the reward of those beautiful glasses. It reminds me of a time I was out to a restaurant for dinner on a deck overlooking a gorgeous beach. Having had another bad drunk the previous week I was again trying desperately not to drink. A handsome man sitting at the next table was sipping champagne from a lovely crystal flute. I looked at him and just about dissolved from envy that people could do that and look so sophisticated. Just then he tipped toward a small planter to his side and threw up into the dirt. Wiped his mouth and went back to the champagne!! So much for aura.

Comment

Ewwww, Prancy! Thanks for the visual. That one will stick with me when I crave champagne.
                              "If you fell down yesterday, get up today." -- H.G. Wells

Comment

Working...
                              X